Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install some kind of frame sliders or even possibly a crash cage on my 05 636...I don't plan on ever putting it down (but hey, who does?) I want to protect my investment. Looking at the left side of the bike I see nowhere to mount a slider or anything...Do I really have to shave the fairing? The thought of that scares me, I don't want to scar up my bike if I screw up (Its so pretty :D:) Anyone have any ideas or advice? If shaving it is the only way, anyone have any advice on how to go about it?

Thanks!

·
butiwasgoingtotashistatio ntopickupsumpowerconvrtr
2,762 Posts
shave or wax...

only options if you want quality sliders appearently

·
Registered
590 Posts
buddy, dont worry about the tiny amount that they have to shave off the fairing, if you or the person installing them is good you wont even notice that it had been modified. Thats how small and good mine was done, and if you ask me it kinda adds to the look of the bike, i love my VORTEX sliders i have.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Woodcraft makes a nice slider and I have seen them preform well is bad situations.

I am running shogun no cuts but plan to switch to woodcraft cut sliders.

·
Registered
764 Posts
cages are heavy get sliders or a race rail.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Caker Chris, would you happen to have any pics of the left side of your bike? I'd like to see how it looks and give myself an idea of what it is I'm about to do haha.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Not as "close-up" as I'd like...but you get the idea. Very little material is removed...

http://www.ninja6zone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1522

On a side note..."cut" type sliders generally do a better job of protecting the bike as they are installed straight in line with the engine mount bolt. The "No-cut" type have an extender to move the slider away from the plastic. In a hard crash this extender can increase the leverage and force on the engine mount bolt and snap it off...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Did you read the link?

*EDIT*

I see you did...

·
Registered
590 Posts
I dont have any close up pics of it, i can take some if you would like so you can see. I didnt trust my steady hand but the guy who did it for me used a small dremmel tool to shave away at the fairing, that way it was properly contoured and also prevented any cracking if you tried to actually cut it.

Basically he went just a little bit at a time until it fit so snug you would never even know we had to shave it.

Let me know if you still want the pic

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I'll be alright, I did some inspecting on my bike...its like the right side came cut to allow for a slider...I'm just going to try to dremmel the same size/shape cut on the left side. Why wouldn't both sides come cut? Ahh.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I asked the exact same question, good luck with the project.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts