Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and gentlemen,

I live near the NYC area. Motorcycle lane splitting is illegal in both New York and New Jersey similarly to most of other states. I understand the very reason behind it. It's Seems dangerous, but is it really? Understandably, different riders vary in riding style (therefore, results may vary) For simplicity's sake, let's explore the advantages and disadvantages of lane splitting.

Reckless Riders (Con)

These people usually have a hard time understanding the difference between track and street riding (possibly due to the lack of common sense). If lane splitting was to become legal, these bad boys would likely cause more harm than good. Lane splitting dangerously close to other vehicles at unbelievable speeds. Not to mention likely cutting off other drivers on the road by quickly switching between lanes in order to find an opening.

Angry Drivers (Con)

Personally happened to a buddy of mine when we were riding in Upstate NY. We were stuck in unbelievable traffic going in the wrong direction and the only way to make a U turn was to continue about a mile down. Frustrated, we decided to take the shoulder at 5-10 MPH and take the left onto a U turn. One of the drivers pissed about traffic decided to not only cut us off but he began to ram my friend off the road. I went into rage. Pulled my bike over and began helping my friend out. Two cruiser riders lane splitting stopped to help us control this maniac. Eventually we got passed. So there is a problem of angry bastards running us off the road.

Congestion of Area (Con)

It is understandable that lane splitting would simply be terrifying in places like Manhattan. People drive however they wish, and due to the shear volume of the cars driving on the roads of Manhattan, Police has a hard time controlling everyone's move.

Congestion Reduction (Pro)

By lane splitting, we take the motorcycle out of traffic congestion which helps reduce traffic. A study has been published in Australia which states that if 10% of car drivers were to switch over to commuting by motorcycle, congestion could be reduced up to 40%. If a source is what you want, I'll post it.

Increased Safety of Riders (Pro)

According to the study mentioned above, the factor responsible for accidents involving motorcycles in traffic is rear ending. Many bikes get rear ended in traffic due to drivers being on phones or doing make up trying to pass the time.

Lane Splitting Laws (Pro)

Most of those issues could be avoided by setting specific standards in which lane splitting is allowed. Speed limit could be set for lane splitting. If traffic is at a stand still, 10 MPH could a be a reasonable speed to lane split at since it gives enough reaction time for possible sudden obstructions. In order to avoid motorcycles crashing into one another, the law could state that a rider must enter the lane get to the other side of it and then safely enter the lane splitting zone after checking for fellow riders. Also, if traffic moves at a slow speed of up to 10 MPH on a highway per say, a rider could be allowed to lane split only if two cars on both lanes are parallel to one another avoiding possible collinsions when cars are switching lanes.

If a petition was started, could it be possible to make lane splitting legal in most states in the US? What's your opinion?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Been doing it successfully in California for years. There is no easy way to say this. If you're stupid, you're a lane-splitting accident waiting to happen.

It takes such a keen amount of awareness and an even better understanding of your speed with relationship to surrounding traffic and most riders never make such a realization or connection. The majority don't get it and this includes motorcycle cops.

I've seen soooo many go down. Witnessed a half-dozen or so with my own eyes and driven up on more lane-splitting accidents than I can count.

I was with a man in his mid 40's on the 405 South one morning last November as he was bleeding out onto the pavement. Not sure if he lived but it cut a major artery in his leg. The simple truth..............he was going to fucking fast. Plain and simple. Didn't matter that he had a well paying middle-management job that afforded him a fancy BMW GS. Your fancy career and bank account doesn't determine if you live or die while lane splitting........fucking fool. I would get over almost five days a week to let his speedy ass go by me.................then it happened. Arrogance can kill.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
If a petition was started, could it be possible to make lane splitting legal in most states in the US? What's your opinion?
I'm pretty sure there's a petition on one of those petition websites...like whitehouse.gov or something. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I think it ended a while ago, but I definitely saw and signed one at some point. Keep it going tho! :bigthumb:

I do it even though it's illegal in my state. Just keep your eyes out for police!
...yeah, definitely not going to do that :roll:

·
Registered
985 Posts
Been doing it successfully in California for years. There is no easy way to say this. If you're stupid, you're a lane-splitting accident waiting to happen.

It takes such a keen amount of awareness and an even better understanding of your speed with relationship to surrounding traffic and most riders never make such a realization or connection. The majority don't get it and this includes motorcycle cops.

I've seen soooo many go down. Witnessed a half-dozen or so with my own eyes and driven up on more lane-splitting accidents than I can count.

I was with a man in his mid 40's on the 405 South one morning last November as he was bleeding out onto the pavement. Not sure if he lived but it cut a major artery in his leg. The simple truth..............he was going to fucking fast. Plain and simple. Didn't matter that he had a well paying middle-management job that afforded him a fancy BMW GS. Your fancy career and bank account doesn't determine if you live or die while lane splitting........fucking fool. I would get over almost five days a week to let his speedy ass go by me.................then it happened. Arrogance can kill.
This. While many, including some stats say it's just as safe as anything else saying lane splitting may lessen injuries, UC-Berkley did a study on it with the help of the California Highway Patrol (CHP). Injuries were less significant in most lane splitting accidents as compared to other motorcycle accidents (rear end, left turn etc) but when you look at the number, it's alarming. CHP gave UC-Berkley data to 7,836 motorcycle accidents and a 1163 of them came from lane splitting. So 14.8% of the accidents recorded by the CHP were due to lane splitting. That's fairly high, to be honest.

And anyone who lives in CA knows that most who lane split don't do it correctly; they aren't going 5-10mph faster than traffic and don't care if the traffic is traveling faster than 30mph. Personally, I can live without the lane splitting laws. I think universal helmet laws would save more lives than a universal lane splitting law but that's just me. /$0.02

Reactions: max41 and Fishbowl

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
This. While many, including some stats say it's just as safe as anything else saying lane splitting may lessen injuries, UC-Berkley did a study on it with the help of the California Highway Patrol (CHP). Injuries were less significant in most lane splitting accidents as compared to other motorcycle accidents (rear end, left turn etc) but when you look at the number, it's alarming. CHP gave UC-Berkley data to 7,836 motorcycle accidents and a 1163 of them came from lane splitting. So 14.8% of the accidents recorded by the CHP were due to lane splitting. That's fairly high, to be honest.

And anyone who lives in CA knows that most who lane split don't do it correctly; they aren't going 5-10mph faster than traffic and don't care if the traffic is traveling faster than 30mph. Personally, I can live without the lane splitting laws. I think universal helmet laws would save more lives than a universal lane splitting law but that's just me. /$0.02
I've heard of that study, but never personally read it or anything. What I'd be interested to know is whether other people are injured frequently by lane splitting motorcyclists or if it's just the rider who gets hurt. If it's just the rider, then I say open that shit up!!!

As for universal helmet law, why the hell is it the government's job to keep people safe from their own stupidity. If people want to ride without helmets, then let them...last time I checked, attempting and failing to commit suicide wasn't illegal, so why should riding without a helmet be illegal? (for the record, I feel the same way about seat belts in cars)

·
Registered
225 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts

Right on the money.

The more I got cut off as I was splitting, the slower I went and as the years have gone by I find myself only splitting when traffic is virtually stopped. If it's moving at a steady pace (usually 40+) I just find a spot and jump in. When traffic is rolling along, that's when the worst of it happens. They have a harder time jumping across when they are stationary.

New riders are so stubborn that they won't even listen to this advice. I'm out there in full leathers splitting lanes like a grandpa and I'm getting passed by stupid fuckers going double my speed wearing jeans. Even motorcycle cops, virtually no gear. They typically have a helmet, gloves, short sleeve shirts and a bullet proof vest. Idiots, idiots, idiots.

You can't fix stupid.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think it should be legal. I do it here in AZ even though you aren't supposed to. I pass cops all the time that are stuck in traffic and they can't do anything about it. I just watch out for other motorcycle officers.

I'm not a crazy person when I do it but there is no way I'm sitting in a traffic jam when I can fit through everyone. I feel more vulnerable sitting in traffic anyway.

·
Registered
93 Posts
lane splitting is illegal where I am. I used to do it in slow moving traffic all the time, or filter forward to the font of the lane. all the people around u just get so pissed, its almost unbelievable how mad they get. so I stopped. I have literally had people chase me down and yell at me or it. its just not worth it anymore.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've been lane splitting in San Diego on my regular commute for over 5 years now and I agree with everything Fishbowl said about speed and choices of when to split and when not too.

The sad thing is I feel like the first time I run into trouble splitting lanes won't be because of some cage cutting me off, it will be because of some squid on a motorcycle splitting lanes behind me and getting impatient and passing me IN-THE-SPLIT. Really pisses me off :rant. A lot of riders who come up on me splitting lanes will rev their engine or beep if they want to pass, and I will see them, move up to the next open spot, and pull out to let them pass.

·
Registered
279 Posts
With traffic stopped at a light, most of the time I split to the front. I feel there is just too much risk at getting rear-ended because they didn't see me or didn't look. People just don't register the single red tail light as a stopped vehicle in front of the car they see stopped in front of me.

·
Registered
332 Posts
lane splitting is illegal where I am. I used to do it in slow moving traffic all the time, or filter forward to the font of the lane. all the people around u just get so pissed, its almost unbelievable how mad they get. so I stopped. I have literally had people chase me down and yell at me or it. its just not worth it anymore.
Same here. People get SO mad haha. I usually have my headphones in and can't hear what they are saying anyways so it doesn't bug me. Occasionally I will have some a hole (always in a lifted truck btw, not trying to be stereotypical but it always is) that will swerve into the middle of the lane when they see me coming. No one actually knows how small their own vehicle is though so they still leave plenty of room for me to fit but still. It's a douche move for sure.

I've been lane splitting in San Diego on my regular commute for over 5 years now and I agree with everything Fishbowl said about speed and choices of when to split and when not too.

The sad thing is I feel like the first time I run into trouble splitting lanes won't be because of some cage cutting me off, it will be because of some squid on a motorcycle splitting lanes behind me and getting impatient and passing me IN-THE-SPLIT. Really pisses me off :rant. A lot of riders who come up on me splitting lanes will rev their engine or beep if they want to pass, and I will see them, move up to the next open spot, and pull out to let them pass.
Holy shit. I have never had another bike pass me while I am splitting that would be crazy.

·
Registered
985 Posts

This video is just so damn scary. The guy lucked out big time...and yes he's a fukken idiot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slMhgcwSqeM

·
Registered
598 Posts

This happened to my wife and I on Sunday as we were on our way back from riding Angeles Crest. There was a wreck on the 210 headed out to Rancho so we were splitting slowly through stopped traffic. An ASSHOLE on a fucking Harley rushes up behind my wife and instead of letting us pull into traffic, he rips by on the right side of us so we are two motorcycles wide in between cars!!!!! What a fucking ASS!!!!! His big hurry? To get OFF the freeway ONE exit ahead!

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
Wait.... I thought it was against the law in Canada to get angry... :O

·
Registered
31 Posts

Wow, can't believe someone would think it is okay to pass when you are already splitting.

What part of SD are you located?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ladies and gentlemen,
Reckless Riders (Con)

These people usually have a hard time understanding the difference between track and street riding (possibly due to the lack of common sense). If lane splitting was to become legal, these bad boys would likely cause more harm than good. Lane splitting dangerously close to other vehicles at unbelievable speeds. Not to mention likely cutting off other drivers on the road by quickly switching between lanes in order to find an opening.
I am pretty sure they already do that, regardless of if it is legal or not in their state.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts