Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Co-worker of mine is selling his 2003 Zx6r, red in color with only 8k miles. He is the originally owner and says the bike is mint condition. He wants $4500 for the bike. Is that to much?
I currently have a GS500F and im looking to upgrade..Im really looking for a 600 bike for around $3500. but is $4500 too much?

Located NJ

Attachments

·
Registered
985 Posts
A Co-worker of mine is selling his 2003 Zx6r, red in color with only 8k miles. He is the originally owner and says the bike is mint condition. He wants $4500 for the bike. Is that to much?
I currently have a GS500F and im looking to upgrade..Im really looking for a 600 bike for around $3500. but is $4500 too much?

Located NJ
Way too much. $3500 at best, I wouldn't pay more than $3000 for that bike. Low miles in a place like where you live just means it sat for a long time, not good for fluids or anything else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes i agree i just think hes asking a lot because he is the original owner and think its worth that much.

·
Registered
463 Posts
KBB has it at like $3250 in excellent condition from a dealer...soo less than that? I would say offer him something in the upper 2's, but if hes asking 4500, i doubt hell even consider that. The bikes already 12 years old. Hes going to have to come down.

·
Registered
985 Posts
What do you think its worth?
$3K at best if everything checks out because you're going to need to change all the fluids along with anything else that could be wrong with it. Ask him what's the lowest he will let it go for. If he says $4k, walk away. If he says $3.5K and you really want..then haggle for $3K.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He says he's going to get it serviced before selling but on another note anyone selling a zx6r in jersey for around 3000

·
Registered
442 Posts
Offer him no more than 3K and just do the service yourself. I much prefer to do my own service, that way I can pick the fluids I want and make sure it's done right. GL

Edit- A coworker purchased a 04 with around the same miles from the dealer for 3300. The private sale price should be much lower. And if he ends up paying dealer price on the services he'll just end up asking more since it'll cost him wayyyyyyy more than if he/you did the work.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Great bike and if it really is in excellent condition, it would be a good way to get into the 600SS class of bikes. However, I wouldn't pay $4.5k for it - I'd maybe be willing to go up to $3.5k if it's actually in as good of condition as you make it sound, but not above that. Good luck and keep us updated :cheers

·
Registered
13,654 Posts

Located NJ
12 years old..... It will need a new battery. New tires. New brake lines. Flush all fluids... (including fork oil and rear suspension) it may need a new chain. It's a 50:50 bet the brake calipers will need rebuilding. There will be multiple electrical problems from the idiot switches sitting in one place for years and years.

All of the fuel lines and vacuum lines will need to be inspected, and possibly replaced, due to age and hardening. The inside of the fuel tank may well have issues with rust, which can clog the carb jets. Varnish and gunk may have developed in the carbs due to evaporating all of the fuel out of the tank.

If the cosmetics of the bike are perfect, it's a potentially great bike -- when you are done (maybe) with tossing money at it, you will have a moderately powerful, pretty good handling bike.

On the plus side, insurance won't tear you a new one.....

·
Super Moderator
5,458 Posts
It was worth 4500 5 years ago, now, i'd go 3500 if it's mint. They're awesome bikes, still my favorite generation of the ZX6R, and what I ride on the track.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts