Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a question i get asked a lot or (made fun of) is "how can you handle that bike so well your to short". or sometimes i get "your too short for your bike you should lower it so you don't hurt yourself":bash: i always think, ' i should kick you in the nuts' :headbang: i hate that crap it drives me insane.

anyways what do you guys think about lowering your bike. i never did it cause i never really saw it as an issue but some people lower theirs. I also have ridden bikes that have been lowered and they seem to be umm well a little off. my mentor told me that when you lower a bike you have to lower the whole thing not just the back(which is what some ppl do)even then he said they were meant to be a certain height
anyways any thoughts??

·
Registered
11,772 Posts
use the search feature. there's tons of threads on this. summary: dont do it unless you literally cannot touch the ground at all. i'm 5'7" and have absolutely no problem putting both feet firmly on the ground.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm 5'8" and cannot put my feet firmly on the ground, but just barely flat. This all kind of depends on your suspension setup, weight, and model zx6r. The newer ones have the seat cut thinner and allows for an easier reach for your legs to the ground. The 636s for example have wider seats and it will be harder to put your feet flat. I can flat foot the 07-08 models and 09-11 models easily but not my 636, just barely.

I agree with givuhcky22, search and you will find. My personal opinion is to not lower it with links. Just try to make some suspension adjustments and get it the best you can. If you are like tippy toeing however, then yes you may need to get lowering dog bones.

·
Registered
842 Posts
ya that seat is pretty wide, the back of mine got lifted a bit with the swing arm conversion. im 6'2 and just a slight lift and its feeling too high

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
It all depends on whats comfortable for you... im 5'8 and have no problems with the stock height but i lowered mine 2 inches front and rear.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Im 5'7" with bits nuts so I can't flat foot both feet. 09 zx6r. I almost always just put my left foot down when stopping. My brother has a 07 zx6r and he wanted to lower the front but there is a taper on the fork tubes. He doesn't want the straps.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would not lower your bike, unless if all you do is highway riding and commuting then i guess it would not be a big deal. I am only 5'5'', i use only one foot with stock setup, does not bother me any.

<short jokings incoming i am sure>

·
Registered
794 Posts
if ya wanna lower it, lower it most ppl dont push a bike hard enough to be able to tell a difference when its done right. my front is 2" lower and the back is stock right now. lets it fall in. once i start using it for commuting again the rear will match the front in drop due to my back and wrist not liking it

·
Registered
11,772 Posts
dangggggggggg is that dual exhausttttttt?!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Off topic
Had the Spiderman Big Wheel with the spin-out lever on the back wheel. You pulled it while rolling and instant spin-out. That ish was HOT!!!!!

On topic
Keep it stock.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i have a 2003 636 and when i bought it it was lowered 2 inches... my buddy has the exact same bike that i do, and when they set side by side, his "sets better"... what i mean by that is his leans over like it is supposed to and mine is almost straight up.. i know that i could shorten the kickstand but ive decided to raise it back up... there are pros and cons for doing both.. pros: easier for passengers to get on, lower center of gravity..cons: can tip over easy when parked, harder to pop the front tire up...

·
Registered
11,772 Posts
i have a 2003 636 and when i bought it it was lowered 2 inches... my buddy has the exact same bike that i do, and when they set side by side, his "sets better"... what i mean by that is his leans over like it is supposed to and mine is almost straight up.. i know that i could shorten the kickstand but ive decided to raise it back up... there are pros and cons for doing both.. pros: easier for passengers to get on, lower center of gravity..cons: can tip over easy when parked, harder to pop the front tire up...
and handling goes to shit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am 5'7" and although I cant completely flat foot both at the same time I dont feel uncomfortable on it. Get some riding boots with a little extra height and it can increase you confidence. I dont want to mess with the geometry of the bike by lowering it when it doest bother me that much.

I wouldnt be against lowering it a little though if I needed to. The less you lower it the better and both sides equally if the drop is more than 1 inch I would say. Also set your suspension appropriately as the shock will have slightly less travel..

·
Registered
38 Posts
i have a 09 and had to lower the rear 2" due to my stubby ass 5'5" self. height is perfect for me even though i still cant completely flat foot it. was wondering if i should also lower the front. thought maybe instead of 2" in front to mach the rear i might bump rear up 1" and drop front 1". what do guys think? other than no drop at all and no i am not going to invest in any retro platforms. well maybe if they had the goldfish in the soles i might rock em!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well i'm 5'3 with short legs and i can tiptoe my bike but most of the time i usually don't put down both feet anyways. O_O for some reason i really want one of those green machines lol

·
Registered
794 Posts
never just lower one end. it messes with the suspension geometry and throws everything wayy out. i would lower the front to match the back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
never just lower one end. it messes with the suspension geometry and throws everything wayy out. i would lower the front to match the back.
that's what i was thinking from the get go. seems like common sense to me but dealership i bought the bike from convinced me to only lower the rear.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts