Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got bored of beating it, so I went out for a quick ride in the mini-twisties around here, and work on my body position. I went back to the road where I had crashed her in the past. This is what the road looked like today:

That 'Pavement Ends' sign could have been put at least before the corner leading to the mud. It is not much help where it is at right now.

I had the body position going okay-ish for a few of the curves, but it was a hit-or-miss at certain times (I really should get a video than talk about how it feels all the time, huh? Will work on it... strapped for cash).

On my way back, I stopped at the MSF training school (conducted by the local HD dealership) and saw a few riders getting ready to get onto the streets (five people... three women). It reminded me of the time I took my own class and was getting ready to get into this lifestyle last year. They must have been laughing at my all-leather ass!

The riders were getting trained on newer Harley Street 500s instead of the old Buell Blasts. They also had 'huge' crash cages... might have come in handy when I crashed the bike during the class! Had a chat with the instructor who had 'zero' enthusiasm when I told him I had started doing track (cruiser guy), but I did tell him that I never use the rear brake at all. I was also a bit sorry to see that the MSF class (at least here) is going even more towards cruisers, and I can bet all of those new riders I saw today will probably leave the class with brand new Harleys. All of the ones that took the class with me definitely did.

But it was fun to take the bike out and go absolutely nowhere. Now we're home, I should probably show her some love and lube up the chain.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did the same thing last night!

That 'Pavement Ends' sign could have been put at least before the corner leading to the mud. It is not much help where it is at right now.

But it was fun to take the bike out and go absolutely nowhere.
I came up on a road that had that exact problem! The road just randomly ended which is rare for Vegas, luckily I was familiar with the road and even though the construction randomly appeared I was able to slow down and make a u-turn safely. :bigthumb:

I love random adventure rides as well, keep it safe out there brotha! Sexy 6 btw :naughty:

·
Registered
879 Posts
Had a chat with the instructor who had 'zero' enthusiasm when I told him I had started doing track (cruiser guy), but I did tell him that I never use the front brake at all. I was also a bit sorry to see that the MSF class (at least here) is going even more towards cruisers, and I can bet all of those new riders I saw today will probably leave the class with brand new Harleys.
never use front brake? wtf?

my msf class was definitely geared towards cruisers, but i took a weekend class and on monday i was at the kawasaki dealership buying a ninja 650. took about 3 months of that before i made the jump to supersport with the zx6r. so have faith buddy, there might have been at least one sport fan in that class! ;0

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
never use front brake? wtf?

my msf class was definitely geared towards cruisers, but i took a weekend class and on monday i was at the kawasaki dealership buying a ninja 650. took about 3 months of that before i made the jump to supersport with the zx6r. so have faith buddy, there might have been at least one sport fan in that class! ;0
They are stellar salespeople at HD, man. I saw an older dude (50 plus) who came in with about 5-grand worth of savings to buy an older cruiser outright. They 'made' him put it down on a brand new bike, thanks to promotions, financing rates, and of course, image. What more could someone going through a possible mid-life crisis want?
He was a really nice guy, but possibly the worst rider out there. The most common demographic were veterans who had some money lying about. Who in their right mind would try to convince someone to sign the paperwork for a brand new bike before they've even passed the course.

I realize now that class was a complete joke. Yup, they pretty much told me that I'd never have to use the front brake... morons.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I came up on a road that had that exact problem! The road just randomly ended which is rare for Vegas, luckily I was familiar with the road and even though the construction randomly appeared I was able to slow down and make a u-turn safely. :bigthumb:

I love random adventure rides as well, keep it safe out there brotha! Sexy 6 btw :naughty:
Yeah, I wouldn't expect it in Vegas. Glad it didn't end for you like it did for me... I was pissed!

Thanks... Dirty Tessa is dirty...!

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ilotek....

Good catch. I meant the rear. Damn! Edited...

I've come quite a far way from using only the rear to pretty much using only the front.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
I got bored of beating it, so I went out for a quick ride in the mini-twisties around here, and work on my body position. I went back to the road where I had crashed her in the past. This is what the road looked like today:

I had the body position going okay-ish for a few of the curves, but it was a hit-or-miss at certain times (I really should get a video than talk about how it feels all the time, huh? Will work on it... strapped for cash).

On my way back, I stopped at the MSF training school (conducted by the local HD dealership) and saw a few riders getting ready to get onto the streets (five people... three women). It reminded me of the time I took my own class and was getting ready to get into this lifestyle last year. They must have been laughing at my all-leather ass!

The riders were getting trained on newer Harley Street 500s instead of the old Buell Blasts. They also had 'huge' crash cages... might have come in handy when I crashed the bike during the class! Had a chat with the instructor who had 'zero' enthusiasm when I told him I had started doing track (cruiser guy), but I did tell him that I never use the rear brake at all. I was also a bit sorry to see that the MSF class (at least here) is going even more towards cruisers, and I can bet all of those new riders I saw today will probably leave the class with brand new Harleys. All of the ones that took the class with me definitely did.

But it was fun to take the bike out and go absolutely nowhere. Now we're home, I should probably show her some love and lube up the chain.
Nice pic. Nice ride.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Nice picture and bike. I didn't realize LA (assuming you're in Louisiana) had so many pines. I've been to FLA and saw the pines near Disney. Me being so used to Colorado my mind just defaults to pines=mountains. I see the Ohlins on it, any other mods?

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Nice picture and bike. I didn't realize LA (assuming you're in Louisiana) had so many pines. I've been to FLA and saw the pines near Disney. Me being so used to Colorado my mind just defaults to pines=mountains. I see the Ohlins on it, any other mods?
The town where I live is called Pineville for a reason! We have the Kisatchie National Forest here. The pine forests go all the way from Texas to Fl in the south, and all the way up north to Delaware.

The steering damper came stock on the bike. No other mods except an obnoxious dealer-installed Two Brothers exhaust on it.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just returned from a long-ish ride (about 100 miles, ~2 hours) to simply work on body position and throttle control. I noticed that body position (at least for me) is more spot on/ feels accurate when the turns are tighter and I'm switching much faster into hanging off.
There was one turn where I sort of messed it up... SR crept in and I didn't provide any throttle halfway into the turn and began running wide. Thankfully, there was no drama at all. Cursed at myself and moved on...

I think I got pretty lucky today as well. I have the option of two routes to take to get back home and I chose the second route that had a couple of ramps in the way (the more the merrier for BP). The moment I split off the main highway, I saw a grill fall off from the back of the truck in front of me (on different road) and break up into bits. I could have been in the path of that grill if I stayed on the first route. Worse, if that truck had taken my route and was in front of me, I'd have had nowhere to go on that ramp. Fate sometimes...

Front tire pressure was nearly the same as when I set off (~31 psi). The rear jumped about 3 psi to 32 psi. I think progress...

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Carried over to Wisconsin...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts