Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
12,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Thanks for the idea..... I had to choose between left and right as the exit for the line to the reservoir is biased by which way I put the shock in the clevis. I opted to have it exit towards the left to keep the reservoir away from the exhaust heat.

I don't believe it is a critical point; but it's not as clean an install as I would like. I wanted to be sure the swing arm would clear the reservoir even at max compression.... Won't know for sure until I ride it hard on rough pavement....

·
Registered
592 Posts
I guess you’re not liking my mounting method? I never had a problem with the reservoir line being run above the chain. I also liked how the reservoir was tucked inside the frame, which saved it from being damaged in a crash(I tested that to be sure lol).
Here’s a couple more pics if it helps. I safety wired the bolt, and there was no way that reservoir was sneaking out of that clamp.
I agree with not mounting on the exhaust side due to excess heat, plus it’d be pretty much a redo install at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
I guess you’re not liking my mounting method? I never had a problem with the reservoir line being run above the chain. I also liked how the reservoir was tucked inside the frame, which saved it from being damaged in a crash(I tested that to be sure lol).
Here’s a couple more pics if it helps. I safety wired the bolt, and there was no way that reservoir was sneaking out of that clamp.
I agree with not mounting on the exhaust side due to excess heat, plus it’d be pretty much a redo install at this point.

The way you have it mounted would be ideal. Their may be a way to sandwich a clamp like that behind the foot peg. Or drill a couple holes in the under-tray to mount it there.

·
Registered
12,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Thanks for the ideas, guys. Very much appreciated. I doubt that I will ever carry a passenger, so sacrificing the left passenger bracket is a moot point. Aesthetically, I would prefer that the symmetry be maintained but consider ensuring I don't cause harm to the shock much more important.

I'll post up whatever I come up with..... The hose clamps are okay for now. A bit more red neck tech than I like, tbh.

·
Registered
12,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #66

I think my only concern with your solution is the single clamp. I couldn't see the liner inside it before and was worried about chafing. I would prefer to mount it behind the footpeg bracket for crash protection, if there's swing arm clearance.:O

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
A 3dB increase is twice as loud as before, that is a very noticeable change.

Mark
Interesting to know that. Our local racetrack has a 96 dB sound limit and my ‘12 with an OEM exhaust, but a Pinebox link pipe, has never ever approached the limit. In fact, it’s gotta be one of the quietest bikes out there. Just for a perspective...

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
A 3dB increase is twice as loud as before, that is a very noticeable change.

Mark
Considering our bikes are very quiet in stock trim it's not that noticeable of a difference. Laguna Seca has a 90Db limit and I can go through that section at WOT with a link pipe and no sound violations.

---

Kawi makes very quiet bikes. My new zx10r is actually quieter than my zx6r.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Considering our bikes are very quiet in stock trim it's not that noticeable of a difference. Laguna Seca has a 90Db limit and I can go through that section at WOT with a link pipe and no sound violations.

---

Kawi makes very quiet bikes. My new zx10r is actually quieter than my zx6r.
I agree. We had to do test runs past the meter to be “certified” to ride there (got a certification sticker on my head stock and everything!:BigGrin) and after one run (out of the routine 3) I was so quiet they told me I was done!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Interesting to know that. Our local racetrack has a 96 dB sound limit and my ‘12 with an OEM exhaust, but a Pinebox link pipe, has never ever approached the limit.
The decibel scale is logarithmic, which is why 3dB is double. It is not obvious unless you have been told about it, but this is how our hearing works. Human hearing also finds higher pitched sounds more annoying than low pitch, which hurts us on 600cc sportbikes that wail at high RPM so very nicely.

I don't doubt that, just wanted to clear up the 3dB thing. I would expect a link pipe to change the quality/tone of the sound more than the actual volume of it with the stock muffler still in place. FWIW, 90dB is very quiet for a sound limit.

Mark

·
Registered
12,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
First ride on the new shock, to and from work.

First impressions are of course somewhat subjective; I carried more straight line speed, because of less feedback from the rear. My smoother suspension, quieter helmet, and tighter fitting gear reduced all of the sensations I used to gauge my speed.

When I laid the Penske beside the '13+ shock I removed, it was near an inch longer eye to eye. I didn't try and adjust it.... I figure Penske knows what they're doing better than a random eBay recycled part.

The rear is definitely higher. There is now a forward cant to the seat. Straight line stability and cornering stability don't seem to have been affected, but it does turn in more promptly. I like it. Not really a fan of sliding into the tank, tho.

I will come up with a way to angle the reservoir more horizontally, to reduce the strain on the hydraulic line between it and the shock upper. I'll take at least one of the footpeg bracket mounting screws out, to see if there are enough threads to let me shim the bracket 'off' the subframe. Just enough room to feed the hose clamps through so I can use the horizontal spreader between the bolt holes to carry the reservoir.... If they're too short, stopping at the mom and pop Ace Hardware to buy two longer metric hex key bolts shouldn't be more than $2-3. Plus maybe another $1 in washers....

If that doesn't work out, the whole peg assembly comes off.

·
Registered
12,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
So I wan't happy with the location of the reservoir, and took a few minutes today to explore what my options were. The foot peg bolts are long enough to support the reservoir clamps between the bracket and the tail section. Very happy with that. No additional hardware required. I like how tight the reservoir is to the tail section, has the least possible angle on the hydraulic line, and is covered by the foot peg bracket. Can't see how an impact of any sort would get to the reservoir.

It's extremely solidly mounted. No need for the second clamp. The rubber cleats that Penske provided, I may end up losing the front one of the two over time. May fiddle with it a bit more to ensure it can't 'walk' out of there.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
^ Mine is mounted similarly on the zzr with still having oe rear pegs- I did however wrap the shock body around the rubber spacers with electrical tape to keep them there in place and with it also being black it is mostly unnoticeable
Then those rubbers cannot fall off---------- something every male should be proactive about unless he wants to be tied down for the next 30 years...... ;)

·
Registered
12,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Lloyd, I can't think of anything short of a Evel Knievel jump that could compress the rear suspension enough to get the swing arm to hit that reservoir.

A drastic enough hit to cause damage to that, I'm not going to be around afterwards to worry about it.

·
Registered
12,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
One more observation, as I rode the bike to work toady.... the top end of the shock is not centered in the clevis. I don't expect that is an issue, it cannot move far enough out of vertical for there to be any possibility of binding. Just curious if anyone has noticed their shock is 'off center' on the top mounting point:?

·
Registered
592 Posts
One more observation, as I rode the bike to work toady.... the top end of the shock is not centered in the clevis. I don't expect that is an issue, it cannot move far enough out of vertical for there to be any possibility of binding. Just curious if anyone has noticed their shock is 'off center' on the top mounting point:?
Do you mean how the shock twists side to side with the movement of the heim joint in between the clevis? It’s pretty normal not to see it perfectly inline with the clevis. I have seen some guys add o-rings to the bushings to limit it’s side to side twist. I’m pretty sure I asked Penske about that years ago, and it was not a big deal.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts