Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has been at the shop for a month now, just to get fairings replaced. Was told the servo motor randomly went bad, two weeks after the bike was there and they fired it up for the first time. They were going to release the bike to me, without replacing the servo motor and were even going to install the servo motor.

But now I was told that the engine would blow up if the servo motor was not replaced. And the shop convinced my insurance that my engine would have catastrophic failure without this part being replaced. So now I have to wait another week for the part to get in before I can get my bike in.

It all sounds like complete BS. Where's the truth and where are the lies? What are the realistic chances of engine failure?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take the servo motor and throw it at the shop manager and speed off on your bike with your middle finger up in the air.

Most people remove that shit without any issues. It might throw on your FI light which can easily be fixed by installing a servo eliminator.
They were originally going to remove the servo motor and throw in a servo buddy, which I already ordered. And they even agreed to releasing the bike to me without, doing either. But their attitude sure changed and they gave me that reason. Even insurance said I could take the bike back, but not now since insurance already agreed to replace the servo motor, and since the shop convinced them that it's dangerous.

I understand if the butterfly valve was stuck closed and they didn't want to chance, but they havne't mentioned that at all.

·
Registered
13,480 Posts
OP,

If the valve in the OEM exhaust has stuck in the restricted position, that means the exhaust has to travel through a smaller pipe than ideal. It would be restricted and would be 'stuffed up'.

Would be very unlikely for that valve to stick in the closed position, as the springs on the assembly pull it to the WFO any time there is no command from the servo.

It's built into the OEM muffler assembly. If that's off the bike already.......

·
Director of Moderation
10,139 Posts
Yeah theyre full of it. They figured they can make more money by charging your insurance company....so they decided to go that route.
Yep. Sounds like it.

Need to find a new shop, cuz whoever you talked to there is full of shit. The servo motor and butterfly valve are there just for emissions. Lots of people take that off. There's no chance of engine blowing up. Like RJ said, the valve is designed to be full open, not closed, when you remove the servo cables.

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
SCAM !!!

So, since we have none of the back story lets assume;
you crashed the bike you took it in to have it fixed and insurance is flipping the bill???

My guess is, they see selling an additional $300 part and what $75 labor to r&r as a bigger priority (about $225 in thier pocket to keep from this) than actually doing good by the customer.............

Time to run far far away from that dealership and never go back!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advice everyone! Kind of stuck in limbo now with the shop waiting for the servo to come in and them replacing it. It would make sense that the butterfly valve would be stuck, but they only mentioned that it was the servo motor that was out and giving the FI code.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
yeahhhhh, HARD no... and a BAD review should immediately follow with explanation of WHY they cannot be trusted, might save the next guy from misguidance. servo motor use has 2 explanations... 1 from manufacturer marketing dept (increase back pressure for low speed torque) and 1 from knowledgeable engineers stating the servo exhaust valve closed at both low and high rpms helps limit "noise pollution". So feel relieved it wouldnt blow your engine up. Stock/aftermarket exhaust, doesnt matter. Most people willing to mod anything on their bike eventually remove the servo motor, the biggest reason being to free up the space it takes up, replacing said space with something useful like power commander. Feel free to go to Skutr's servo buddy website for the full explanation.

Reactions: Strider

·
Director of Moderation
10,139 Posts
yeahhhhh, HARD no... and a BAD review should immediately follow with explanation of WHY they cannot be trusted, might save the next guy from misguidance. servo motor use has 2 explanations... 1 from manufacturer marketing dept (increase back pressure for low speed torque) and 1 from knowledgeable engineers stating the servo exhaust valve closed at both low and high rpms helps limit "noise pollution". So feel relieved it wouldnt blow your engine up. Stock/aftermarket exhaust, doesnt matter. Most people willing to mod anything on their bike eventually remove the servo motor, the biggest reason being to free up the space it takes up, replacing said space with something useful like power commander. Feel free to go to Skutr's servo buddy website for the full explanation.
This is from like 15 months ago...

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
yeah... in iraq so boredom acts as vision blinders sometimes lol, hoping at least the thread helps a Googler someday

Reactions: sbk1198
1 - 13 of 13 Posts