Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well finally got my Ohlins shock installed. Was a pretty straight forward installation, even for me. It's from a 2002 (I think) ZX9R so it's not even for the 6R but I got an uber good deal on it completely set up for my weight with correct spring, re valved etc. Jim from Sydney Performance did it for me and he's such a great guy. I'm going to the paperclip in June so he can dial it all in properly for me.

I haven't fiddled with it yet but I did go for a short twistie blat ride to suss out the feeling. It's only slightly less forgiving than stock, I still feel all the bumps but they're nowhere near as harsh. I did notice it's chewing into the back tyre a lot more so hopefully that can be corrected when I see Jim in June. Overall, I haven't taken it to the hard stuff yet but from what I've seen in a short 20km ride it's a lot better behaved bike!

I did have a problem installing it though. Even though the 9R shock is (supposed) to be 2mm shorter than the stock 6R one I couldn't get it in there with the 2mm spacer and the 6mm stock spacer. I actually had to take them both out all together to get it to line up properly to get the bolt through. Otherwise I would have had to drop the rear tyre more thus increasing my ride height. With all the spacers taken out my ride height is [slightly] higher but pretty much the same. Odd how that worked out :confused

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Good job. (I'm a little disappointed with the dirt on the old shock though.)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Nice upgrade... U gotta let us know how the bike rides after gettin dialled in... thinkin of upgrading... but unsure since im a crap rider and prob wont tell the difference... ahahaha

·
Registered
1,927 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
yes, very nice, I am looking for something similar for my 01......

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NinjaRider: I might do something in the future but I'm pretty tapped out at the moment. From what I've been told, once the stock forks are dialed in correctly they are pretty decent. So I will let them be!

Crash: The Paperclip is Queensland Raceway. A bit of a drive from me but it's one of the few tracks in Australia that are decent for bikes. I'll be doing a trackday there soon but Jim is down there for the Superbike qualifying series so I'm gonna head down and get a free set up from him then.

Thanks for the all comments guys! Still haven't taken it for a proper ride. I'm too busy bumming around watching telly plus, god is peeing on us at the moment (Hooray!) so that makes it a little hard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts