Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, before we get started, no this isn't a thread asking if its bad to shift without the clutch, the point of it, if it will help me hit mach 4, or if you recommend it. Did my due diligence and searched, but only found threads that talked about the things I just listed. Mad Scientist Moto levers are mention, this is in no way, shape, or form giving them a negative review nor bad mouthing them!!

Back story: I ended up getting my Hulk on while putting on new grips on my bike and snapped the little nub inside the cable housing that connects to the clip on. I just received a cable housing off a 2014 zx6r today (and the MSM levers; fast shipping and they look awesome). I only needed the bottom portion of the CH so I got to work installing it and also installed the MSM levers. Seeing as I hadn't ridden my bike in about 2 weeks, I took it out for a test drive. Here is what I noticed:

My bike is shifting when I put a bit of pressure on the shifter be it up or down. The only reason this is a concern is because my previous and current bike had never done this before. I know because I've tried it. I've only been riding 2 years so I'm not an expert on motorcycles; I just love the freedom of riding. I don't understand the whole "within this RPM you can shift after 2 gear with throttle blip ect ect". I can essentially do it at will now. While on the subject of levers, I noticed when braking, I had quite a bit of play room before engaging.

As I mentioned, this is not a negative review on MSM levers, I'm 100% positive that its user error and I missed or screwed up a step along the way. Since this forum is full of knowledge, I'd like to see your take on it. I have a few ideas, one being that I didn't return the clutch cable adjuster to its proper position. Its a 2015 ZX6R with almost 500 miles. Ideas?

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I appreciate the positive review but there is no need to tiptoe around =) I can make mistakes just like anyone else!

Now, that said, it sounds like your clutch is out of adjustment and it is likely partially disengaged.

When the bike is off and you squeeze the clutch lever, there should be a little amount of 'free play' in it. Meaning it is completely loose before you start to feel like it is pulling on the cable. Try turning your cable adjuster until you feel that happening.

Be careful, too loose and you will not get the clutch to disengage at all, too tight (what I think you may have now) and you will get clutch slippage.

Now, all that said and done, what Scorpio said is correct. All bikes will shift when you disengage the motor...meaning you roll off the throttle for a second and it unloads the transmission. Maybe you didn't notice it before but I am still going to go with my initial assessment.

Hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
14,144 Posts
OP,

Compared to bikes of 15 or more years ago, my '09 is very easy to shift, without the clutch. Compared to bikes of 25 years ago, I'm not even sure WHY it NEEDS a clutch.... it's that good.

I'm with PS on this one; if there is an issue with the shifting, it is 99.99% likely to be the result of the adjustments you have made. Many, many people want to adjust out all of the free play at the clutch lever... and it's a bad idea.

The tension on the clutch cable is not constant through the arc the triple tree moves through. Because there is an offset between the plane of the fork tubes and the steering neck, the triples move in an arc around the steering tube. That means the distance to a fixed point on the chassis changes..... like the point where the clutch cable attaches to the cases. The distance is greatest when the bars are 'full left', as the cable passes in front of the steering neck -- it's being pulled over the barrel, so to speak.

At that point, there has to be enough slack in the cable to allow the clutch to fully engage. You need to set the adjuster so there is 'play' anywhere in the full range of motion the bars can go through. That little bit of wiggle, is your friend. :)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Ill be honest, once Im out of first, I don't use my clutch anymore. I used to worry about whatever damage I might have been doing, but 3 bikes and 100,000 kms of riding this way, and I've never had any adverse effect to riding the way I do, The only time I've ever had any slight Transmissions issues, was a well known dog paw wearing issue on my current bike, but I swapped that out and the issue is gone. Still not using my clutch lol. Maybe you just have a good ear for the motor

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So it seems I was right thinking it was the adjustment then. As far as the brake levers go, do you think the reason it's giving me free play before actually engaging the brakes is the contact with them master cylinder isn't correct?

PS, not a problem man, wasn't tip toeing though! Everyone says the best way to learn is to do things on your bike yourself. In my case I usually learn what not to do, which is why I'm positive it's user error lol

With a little bit of pressure on the shifter it will switch gears at a certain RPM. It shouldnt be too easy to do it though.
Yeah, I've had friends who did this. But the only reason it concerned me was because I'm almost able to do it at will whether shifting up or down. I wasn't able to before because I remember reading about it and attempting to do it, but wouldn't give unless I engaged the clutch.

I figured it was dumb luck and pressed/pushed at different RPMs exactly for your reasoning and continued doing it. Besides that and the braking, my bike did feel normal though

Ill be honest, once Im out of first, I don't use my clutch anymore. I used to worry about whatever damage I might have been doing, but 3 bikes and 100,000 kms of riding this way, and I've never had any adverse effect to riding the way I do, The only time I've ever had any slight Transmissions issues, was a well known dog paw wearing issue on my current bike, but I swapped that out and the issue is gone. Still not using my clutch lol. Maybe you just have a good ear for the motor
Probably once I've been riding for a few more years I'll give this a go. I do appreciate your input, for now I'll stick to lever shifting :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts