Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

Shifting problems

7K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Scumbag 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi! My name is Patrick and I'm new to this forum. I own a blue '04 zx6r and it works great; put it about 5500 mi on this thing. I don't ride it too hard and never shift without using the clutch. Of course, I have a problem and so I was hoping you guys could help me figure out what step(s) I should take.

On Tuesday, when I was going to work, I shift up through all gears fine. I could even downshift all the way through 2nd, but then the shifter would lock in the 'down' position and I couldn't shift into first at prolonged stops and on-ramps. When I inspected the shifter it moved right but it was not 'snapping' back into the center position. I used the car the next few days.

I didn't think much of it until today, when I took off in a hurry, cuz I was running late for work. NOW the darn shifter feels like it's jammed, or too tight. I have to really step on it or pull on it hard (I even had to use my hand...) for it to shift.

I figure my shift forks are bad, and I read some of the posts here so I'm probably looking at a major expense here.

Any ideas? Please advise.

#2 ·
welcome mate, sorry i cant help ya but hope someone on her can

#3 ·
If the lever isn't springing back to its normal centred resting positon it might be something as simple as needing lube at the footrest pivot, or one of the rose joints, or a broken spring on the ratchet and pawl set-up. (Not sure if it's internal to the gear box or external on those things, some are som aren't).

I'd be checking that the lever / linkages are free to move first.

#4 ·
If the lever isn't springing back to its normal centred resting positon it might be something as simple as needing lube at the footrest pivot
So I took it to my local reputable shop and they took a look. Both mechanics that looked agreed with Steve_TLS in that the joint needs lube. During troubleshooting, the shop owner/mech sprayed on some lube and forced it in with an airhose, then worked it in. The lever worked wonderfully afterwards. Now I gotta take it apart and give it some much needed TLC.

COST: Nothing.

Thank you all!

#7 ·
I had the similar issue with my 2001 Zx6r 599cc Couldn't shift and had to bring shifter back to middle position manually, always found neutrals between gears. I assumed the worst that it was my shift fork. Turned out to be the shifter linkage on the foot peg. took everything apart and cleaned it, lubed it. and it shifts perfect now. check your shifter linkages before you dig into the engine!

#8 ·
The people from 2008 thank you for your input and diagnosis. Sadly they have moved on with their lives and choices.

Reactions: Brader
#9 ·
Captain obvious still thanks the man for his contribution to the common sense thinking team tho

and with that said I could totally see someone tearing a engine apart and only needing to lube there linkage. I had a bike dropped off today. “No start”. I turned the petcock on, pulled choke. Fires right up. Kept starting stopping. Letting it get warm. Couldn’t get it to NOT start. So I just now text the customer. “Hey are you sure you had the petcock on”. He replies. “Was that meant for me?” Uh yea. So he says. “Lol umm ok. But what’s a pet cock”. The petcock on your bike that turns the fuel on and off!
. “Send me a picture unless this is a joke. I’m the guy brought you the Honda that stopped running”. Dude I’m not sexting you. Google petcock. Your bike has one and it was turned off. All I did was turn it on bike runs fine.

This is a honest to god conversation I’m having with a grown ass man. So he will get billed 100$ min for being a fkn moron and wasting my time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.