Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
you see the "dot" on the end of the shift shaft.... and how it aligns with the slot in the joint off the shifter rod assembly

make sure when you put it back together you line those up and oriented the linkage the correct direction again......

otherwise like said above, it is pretty easy job and shouldn't take more than several minutes to accomplish (get the correct sized snap ring pliers!! then just a 10mm box end wrench and you are set, maybe some papertowel or clean rag to wipe off the shaft before assembly
Mr riverszzr, how you guys doin, it was that outter washer you said all along, told the dealer and they did not provide anything, still rocking the spacer I made myself, just here to say hi and thank you guys for supporting all new biker that don't have as much knowledge

·
Registered
16,272 Posts
I think it's a matter of looking at the major sprocket mfg's sites to get a part selection you want. If OEM is a 43, that should be buried in the part # somewhere..... Changing the digits to your desired 50 is likely the way to find what you want.

As you're going further than the typical -1\+2, a longer chain will be few as well.

·
Registered
2022 ZX-6R KRT ABS
68 Posts
yours has an obviously large gap and I do not have any newer (2021ish) zx6r's around to see if the seal is set back or not
I know this is a relatively old thread, but I thought I'd post a picture of my 2022 shift shaft for the record, below...

FWIW, Norton sells a delrin spacer for the Ninja 400 to prevent the shaft from being pushed into the engine if the circlip fails on impact -- it seems like such a good idea I wish I could get one for the ZX-6R as well...

Ninja400R Blueprinted Shift Change Shaft and Protection Kit - Kawasaki Ninja 400 / Z400 (norton-motorsports.com)

Included now with our Blueprinted Shaft is our Protection Spacer for the shift shaft. The shift change shaft is only held in place by a small snap ring and in the event of a left side tip over, can easily be forced free from the snap ring and into the engine causing damage inside the clutch and leaking oil. Our Protection Spacer is machined from Delrin to fit over the snap ring and install between the shift arm and the engine case on the left side of the bike. The sturdy Delrin spacer will absorb impact in the event of a crash to keep the shaft in place and protect your engine.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exhaust Bicycle part

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
I know this is a relatively old thread, but I thought I'd post a picture of my 2022 shift shaft for the record, below...

FWIW, Norton sells a delrin spacer for the Ninja 400 to prevent the shaft from being pushed into the engine if the circlip fails on impact -- it seems like such a good idea I wish I could get one for the ZX-6R as well...

Ninja400R Blueprinted Shift Change Shaft and Protection Kit - Kawasaki Ninja 400 / Z400 (norton-motorsports.com)

Included now with our Blueprinted Shaft is our Protection Spacer for the shift shaft. The shift change shaft is only held in place by a small snap ring and in the event of a left side tip over, can easily be forced free from the snap ring and into the engine causing damage inside the clutch and leaking oil. Our Protection Spacer is machined from Delrin to fit over the snap ring and install between the shift arm and the engine case on the left side of the bike. The sturdy Delrin spacer will absorb impact in the event of a crash to keep the shaft in place and protect your engine.

View attachment 112158
you could make that piece for pennies imo.........
you simply need to source the round delrin in the coorect OD then drill the correct ID and cut to the correct thickness etc.........

You may spend more time finding the correct piece you want than the actual work to make it fit correctly and install it

Reactions: Rich T

·
Registered
2022 ZX-6R KRT ABS
68 Posts
So @riverszzr you inspired me, thanks! :)

I ordered a 1 foot length of 1 1/4" diameter delrin and sliced a piece about 1/3" thick with an oscillating tool... It cuts really nicely -- not gummy like some plastics...

Then I started with a 3/4" spade wood bit (to make the recess for the circlip which is larger than the shaft) and sunk that in just a couple of mm into the slice.

Then I opened the through hole with a 1/2" bit. (This all would have been much easier with a press than with a hand drill!)

Finally, I got out the old faithful round rasp bit and cleaned things up, being careful not to open the 1/2" side of the hole any further...

It now sits flat over the circlip, with no rocking, and the shift lever can bolt on, with just a tiny bit of in-out play remaining...

I'll try it out and see if I notice anything funny...

Automotive lighting Paperweight Tints and shades Circle Glass

Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
A little bit crude, maybe even more than a little bit.........

but does it work well???

all the crudeness is hidden so, function is the most important

Reactions: Rich T and RJ2112

·
Registered
16,272 Posts
Crudeness is in the eye of the beholder….. initiative, and execution are definitely first rate. If you were going to offer these for sale, obviously a higher level of finish would be better. It should certainly perform the intended function.

·
Registered
2022 ZX-6R KRT ABS
68 Posts
Oh, yes, definitely crude -- my challenge was to make a stepped hole so the circlip had a recess to sit in -- the spade wood bit is a bit sloppy (as are my hand drill skills:))...

But it doesn't seem to get in the way at all -- I can't tell it is there -- so that is good.

As for whether it "works", I hope to never find out -- but if I do I'll be sure to report back!

PS If anybody wants some 1 1/4" delrin rod, just give me an address and I'll mail you the extra!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts