Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
My inner shift rod retaining clip is out. My bike wouldn't go into gear from neutral. How to fix any ideas or intake?
picture!!!!!!!! show us a picture

what are you defining as your "shift rod".... the shifter shaft the circlip is external of the engine just like 99% of every bike made

Did you find it in your oil pan or did it get chewed up by the clutch basket or where did it go and how????

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, i downd it one time at low speed and no problems, after several months just yesterday, I put in neutral to stop the engine, went to start it and put it in gear, it wouldn't go into gear, I was stranded and got off the freeway, a fellow bike rider asked if I needed help, he pulled the shift rod outwards and wallaaa, it went into gear, thank god and the rider who helped, I don't know where or when the clip got undone, I haven't heard any noises of chewing or scraping at all, my quick fix was to place a spacer at the outter clip to keep the rod from going inwards. So far I got to work yesterday and today, any tips or pointers, please

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you bro I will lookup that purchase for order apreciate it, Idk how I will install these parts without experience, I haven't done these types of repairs, any tips will help or advise is appreciated

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Ear Font Circle Art Drawing

seems like this is missing for sure....... not sure what else is missing (the oil seal??? but it would be leaking oil then, but that space in your picture is certainly not how it came from the factory)

WASHER
92200-0265
$2.49

Reactions: PhotoAl

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
If I had bought that bike new, and this came about without any outside interference….. I’d be dancing on the dealerships sales manager’s desk. I would also go after the service department.

My guess is that you bought this bike used, and someone told you a fairytale about it being in perfect condition.

If the guys provide you enough information to patch things up, let that be a red flag that you need to go over everything on that bike very carefully.

I doubt Kawasaki forgot a washer on the shift shaft. Much more likely a shade tree mechanic would do that.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
op....

before you installed that piece of hose, was the seal in there? have you been riding it like this and no oil leaks??

I ask because generally the cavity we see in your picture is filled flush by the oil seal then the washer sits flat on that then the clip......... yours has an obviously large gap and I do not have any newer (2021ish) zx6r's around to see if the seal is set back or not

I would waorry a bit about the fact the shift rod assembly pushed inward (it had to be hitting the back of the clutch basket?) and what the engagagement "hooks" look like with some failed attempts to shifts while 'disengaged" and out of positiion

and as said in the post above, if you purchased this new and still have warranty I would bring it up to them, I don't see how the washer and even the clip could disappear from a crash without removing the shift rod assembly from the shift shaft......so I feel like we do not have the whole story or what was needed to repair your crash or how it was done

Reactions: RJ2112

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What upp rj2112, long time haven't heard from you thanks for your response, you are right, I will be dancing at the service desk, did get it at the dealer so I will take a chance at that, it suck cuzz they always want you to put the stock stuff back before they submit a claim with the notorious Kawasaki co.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
What upp rj2112, long time haven't heard from you thanks for your response, you are right, I will be dancing at the service desk, did get it at the dealer so I will take a chance at that, it suck cuzz they always want you to put the stock stuff back before they submit a claim with the notorious Kawasaki co.
What stock stuff would you have to put back on??? I mean I could maybe see if you had aftermarket rearsets and a different quickshifter thus .... someone was clearly working that area
but looks like those items are oe original and thus this clip and washer missing would have nothing to do with any aftermarket anything you installed or had installed

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
op....

before you installed that piece of hose, was the seal in there? have you been riding it like this and no oil leaks??

I ask because generally the cavity we see in your picture is filled flush by the oil seal then the washer sits flat on that then the clip......... yours has an obviously large gap and I do not have any newer (2021ish) zx6r's around to see if the seal is set back or not

I would waorry a bit about the fact the shift rod assembly pushed inward (it had to be hitting the back of the clutch basket?) and what the engagagement "hooks" look like with some failed attempts to shifts while 'disengaged" and out of positiion

and as said in the post above, if you purchased this new and still have warranty I would bring it up to them, I don't see how the washer and even the clip could disappear from a crash without removing the shift rod assembly from the shift shaft......so I feel like we do not have the whole story or what was needed to repair your crash or how it was done
Ok I see what you are saying, so far no oil has leaked, when I downed the bike it was at low speed coming out of the tire shop with a new rear tire, didn't brake the shift pedal, just scraped the stator cover, I never paid attention on the clip or washer, I like your detailed layout of the assembly that it should have, you guys are expert.....came to work today and will consider going to the dealer, thing is they always inspect and I know they will see the fall rash and blame it on me for the shaft damage, I will probably get rejected because of that

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Ok I see what you are saying, so far no oil has leaked, when I downed the bike it was at low speed coming out of the tire shop with a new rear tire, didn't brake the shift pedal, just scraped the stator cover, I never paid attention on the clip or washer, I like your detailed layout of the assembly that it should have, you guys are expert.....came to work today and will consider going to the dealer, thing is they always inspect and I know they will see the fall rash and blame it on me for the shaft damage, I will probably get rejected because of that
Maybe.......... but that heim joint dust cover doesn't have a scratch on it so it didn't get hit by the ground so there was no sideforce into the shaft and thus no reason the slowspeed crash would have broekn the clip or miraculously lost the washer........

but.......... for a $3 washer and a litttle time (provided the seal is still in there and no leaks) I would just buy the oem seal and new clip and install them and be on my way
over $5 of parts it is not even worth the hassle to me to deal with some underpaid putz at a dealership who make it their goal to find fault and place blame and shuck responsibility and the customer always pays attitude....... (no they aren't all like that, but far too many are)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What stock stuff would you have to put back on??? I mean I could maybe see if you had aftermarket rearsets and a different quickshifter thus .... someone was clearly working that area
but looks like those items are oe original and thus this clip and washer missing would have nothing to do with any aftermarket anything you installed or had installed
The only thing I did was unhook the cables at the servo and removed the stock silencer, that's it...you are right about the low cost for the parts it needs, I have never done this kind of repair is it a good idea to try myself, or trust a independent shop to do it? I don't know the labor cost? You have done great help as far as guidance... appreciate the feed back

·
Registered
762 Posts
The only thing I did was unhook the cables at the servo and removed the stock silencer, that's it...you are right about the low cost for the parts it needs, I have never done this kind of repair is it a good idea to try myself, or trust a independent shop to do it? I don't know the labor cost? You have done great help as far as guidance... appreciate the feed back
A 10mm wrench and a snap ring pliers is all the tools you will need. Shouldnt take longer than 5 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
you see the "dot" on the end of the shift shaft.... and how it aligns with the slot in the joint off the shifter rod assembly

make sure when you put it back together you line those up and oriented the linkage the correct direction again......

otherwise like said above, it is pretty easy job and shouldn't take more than several minutes to accomplish (get the correct sized snap ring pliers!! then just a 10mm box end wrench and you are set, maybe some papertowel or clean rag to wipe off the shaft before assembly

1 - 20 of 30 Posts