Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay yesterday was the day I decided to take my baby out of winter storage. I put on a new coat of wax, checked the tire pressures, lubed up the chain and checked the chain tension. Then I went and got my battery off the tender (yes it has been charged over the winter).
I stuck the battery in and flipped the switch. The familiar cycling of the tach, and fuel pump priming greeted me like an old friend. I flipped the running switch and eagerly thumbed the starter. Then nothing. A single soft click from the battery and all the electronics went dead. The dash flickered for a few seconds and after about 10 seconds everything came back on. Okay.... redo. I turned the key off and on, and I heard the pump prime and saw the tach cycle once more. Then the starter button... and once again a soft single click and nothing.
Now I know the battery could have gone, but could it be something else? The entire country's on Easter lock-down until Tuesday, and I can't get a battery 'till then. All I want is to ride :crazy I was thinking could it be a loose ground? Where does the ground on an '09 connect to? Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Well my friend many others have had the same problem with stators and regulators and it sounds like you're joining the club. I rode my bike throughout the winter and one day it wouldn't start so I put a battery in and that one died. Its now in the shop getting stator and reg replaced. Yours could be something else and hopefully its a lose wire.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WTF is easter lock down :O
As Finland is mainly a Lutheran Christian country we have a bank holiday from Thursday until the 2nd Easter day (Monday). All shops (except gas stations and tiny convenience stores), banks and postal services are closed. So nowhere for me to get a new battery/voltage reader until Tuesday.

Thanks guys! I'll start by double checking the connections and I'll clean the battery nodes. Any more suggestions + a location to check the battery's ground lead are appreciated :)

·
Registered
13,062 Posts
I would check all the connections you have just touched installing the battery.

If you did not have it on a maintenance charger over the winter, the battery is simply discharged. If you did have it on a charger, the battery is probably knackered.

Either way, you could start the bike as it sits now. Bump start it.

1) Place the bike in 3rd gear

2) Pull up the side stand, pull in the clutch

3) Turn the ignition on, and wait until you hear the fuel system prime.

4) Get the bike moving as fast as you can. A hill is your friend, so long as you can go down! You should get at least a few kph -- running speed.

5) When you suddenly release the clutch, the back wheel will 'drive' the transmission, which will 'drive' the crank shaft. That should act as a starter motor.

6) When/if the motor starts, pull in the clutch and keep it running!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips guys. Sadly I've got no hill close by to bump her. Luckily though I managed to borrow a multimeter from our neighbour. The battery reads about 12v when I turn the key, but drops to about 4v after I thumb the starter. It then goes completely dead, and rises to 12v after a few seconds without draw.
I've got her on the tender again, but it looks like I'll be going to buy a new battery on Tuesday!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts