Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'm putting this one up here even though I posted it a few weeks ago before my trip up to Washington.

I hope that everyone is having a decent holiday season and want to say thanks to everyone here for being who you are! Maybe this little message of thanks and stuff will motivate someone. Even if it helps one person then that means more than I could ever hope for.

Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Hail Satan.... whatever you're into. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
FJ600 carbs really wake up the FZ600.......... just an FYI

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
FJ600 carbs really wake up the FZ600.......... just an FYI
I mentioned that to the guy. His gears started turning but for now we're just gonna get the turd running again. I have a brand new tank for it that's never been used. It's glorious. :devious

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Latest update to the FZ600 project

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just another video for the archives....

If you haven't already, please subscribe! That'd be super neat-O! I'd think you were really a cool person if you did... and you may even enjoy the content too. :devious

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
CCT came in for the CBR900RR so I finished up the valve adjustment and slapped her in the ass and called her Betty White.... (I have no idea what that means but I'm still working on my coffee this morning.

This valve adjustment is for a 1997 Honda CBR900RR but most of the practices are similar on many different Japanese sport bikes. So if this helps someone get an idea of how to go about a valve adjustment then sa-weet!

Can't wait to ride this bike! Gonna pop a set of take-off Michelins on her and sort out the carbs first but she's probably going to see some track time this season if I can convince my buddy to let me take it with me to the track :D

Oh and a shoutout to Riverszzr for shooting the shit with me yesterday while I called him asking if he had a service manual for a GPZ1100 (which he did not btw :dowhat)

Enjoy!

·
Registered
768 Posts
CCT came in for the CBR900RR so I finished up the valve adjustment and slapped her in the ass and called her Betty White.... (I have no idea what that means but I'm still working on my coffee this morning.

This valve adjustment is for a 1997 Honda CBR900RR but most of the practices are similar on many different Japanese sport bikes. So if this helps someone get an idea of how to go about a valve adjustment then sa-weet!

Can't wait to ride this bike! Gonna pop a set of take-off Michelins on her and sort out the carbs first but she's probably going to see some track time this season if I can convince my buddy to let me take it with me to the track :D

Oh and a shoutout to Riverszzr for shooting the shit with me yesterday while I called him asking if he had a service manual for a GPZ1100 (which he did not btw :dowhat)

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNVAtDg2skU
The shots looking onto the top of the head are really clean. I watch a LOT of big budget you tubers who do bike builds, and that’s probably the cleanest look, while wrenching I’ve seen.

That being said, I’m overdue about 5k for an adjustment, so this video is about to be super helpful!

P.s. you gotta try to get Riverszzr to record himself saying “Honda shims, I’m telling ya.”, for his regular recommendation of said shims.

Anytime someone asks about where to get shims, we just spam them with that message.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
The shots looking onto the top of the head are really clean. I watch a LOT of big budget you tubers who do bike builds, and that’s probably the cleanest look, while wrenching I’ve seen.

That being said, I’m overdue about 5k for an adjustment, so this video is about to be super helpful!

P.s. you gotta try to get Riverszzr to record himself saying “Honda shims, I’m telling ya.”, for his regular recommendation of said shims.

Anytime someone asks about where to get shims, we just spam them with that message.
Thanks man! :bigthumb:

When I tell people what I use to shoot my videos they sometimes are confused because they look the way they do....

I shoot with my Sumsung Galaxy S7 using the 'pro mode' and an IPhone 7s. Sometimes I'll use the GoPro 3+ but rarely.
two small tripods I picked up for about $15 each at Walmart
And a lighting kit made by Neewer - two LED dimable lights (white and amber LED's) - one with a diffuser

Lighting the shot right, using tripods, setting the cameras correctly, and making sure the audio is good (probably most important honestly) is all it takes. I have a system so I'm quick with setting up my shots and because most of what I do are tutorials and how-to's editing is pretty easy because it's all chronological order for the most part.

I'm looking at upgrading my cameras this year (at least one of them lol) but honestly, Galaxy cameras are the shit. So I'll keep the S7 on Camera duty after I upgrade to the S9+, swap the Iphone for a better video camera and stay with what I have for the time being. :D

*** I was totally thinking @riverszzr when I said that part about the Honda shims too :laugh

·
Registered
7,465 Posts

Thanks man! :bigthumb:

*** I was totally thinking @riverszzr when I said that part about the Honda shims too :laugh

You guys do realize you can only use the Honda shims up to and including a 2.925 shim........ thicker than that you have to use Kawasaki shims!!

And while I tell people often to use Honda shims, it is only based on price........... You can buy the honda shims for about 60% the cost of Kawasaki shims and they are the exact same high quality shim actually made at the same place.... The only way to get case hardened tempered all the way through shims is via buying the oem ones....... ALL aftermarket shims are only surface hardened and some of them barely (sub .0005") at that

While I certainly could do videos......... I am far too busy and don't really care to be a public figure....

·
Registered
768 Posts
You guys do realize you can only use the Honda shims up to and including a 2.925 shim........ thicker than that you have to use Kawasaki shims!!

And while I tell people often to use Honda shims, it is only based on price........... You can buy the honda shims for about 60% the cost of Kawasaki shims and they are the exact same high quality shim actually made at the same place.... The only way to get case hardened tempered all the way through shims is via buying the oem ones....... ALL aftermarket shims are only surface hardened and some of them barely (sub .0005") at that

While I certainly could do videos......... I am far too busy and don't really care to be a public figure....
Thanks for the info on the cheaper shim size limitation. You’ve probably saved me a headache. Not to derail the thread, but I have a quick question for you, Riverszzr. I recently replaced my valve cover gasket, the plug hole gaskets, and the o rings for the valve cover bolts. I plan on checking my valve clearances, this weekend, or next. Then ordering shims, and hopefully installing them, (prayers to the shipping gods) the next weekend.

Should I replace the aforementioned gaskets, or are they ok to reuse?

Ok. One more question. Is the motionpro carb sync tool worth a shit, or do you have a better tool to recommend, for throttle body sync?

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Thanks for the info on the cheaper shim size limitation. You’ve probably saved me a headache. Not to derail the thread, but I have a quick question for you, Riverszzr. I recently replaced my valve cover gasket, the plug hole gaskets, and the o rings for the valve cover bolts. I plan on checking my valve clearances, this weekend, or next. Then ordering shims, and hopefully installing them, (prayers to the shipping gods) the next weekend.

Should I replace the aforementioned gaskets, or are they ok to reuse?

Ok. One more question. Is the motionpro carb sync tool worth a shit, or do you have a better tool to recommend, for throttle body sync?

All those gaskets should last several years and multiple times on and off........ I do ask- why if you were in there that far and especially since you had to pull the cam cap off to change those spark plug well o-rings......... why on earth did you not do the valve adjustment then?- you were already doing 80% of the work or more....

The motion pro is fine, there are better but in that sub 100 price range it is fine.......
I would put a 4 way "t" on it and only remove one vacuum line and make sure all 4 read the same and make adjustments as needed.......good practice to do this before every use!
I have one of them I occassionally use
I have a PCCC one from the 80's with dials about 3 times the size I use far more often
I also have a couple of the "old" mercury stick with real mercury filled ones I do still use as well....... I actually like these the best, but occassionally you do get a bike so far off it will suck all the mercury up one hose and run it through the engine and since you can no longer (legally) buy the mercury to refill it.......... I only use it after I have roughly set them with one of the guage style

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
About to start tearing down this engine... This fucking bike is immense.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
But before pulling apart the one above.... Had to get this one started and off of my bench.

Member on here and friend of mine had a bad crank and con rods in his motor. So he found an engine and popped it in knowing that the guy before mentioned having some transmission issues in 2nd or 3rd gear slipping out. Guy thought "maybe it's the quickshifter" so our friend bought the engine knowing it may not be perfect.

It wasn't.... so here's the teardown and a look at the trans. Next video will have measuring, specs, etc. I've already shot it and the case is already back together. Just need to put the top end back together and sides on. Anyway... Enjoy. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
A followup to the big ass Suzuki M109R video above.

Didn't do a full teardown video on this engine, but decided to get into the "WTF happened?" side of things. Here's some carnage.....

21 - 36 of 36 Posts