Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not even sure I am referring to these components by the proper name, but this thread is regarding the circular spacers on the front brake rotors that allow them to float, or move freely. I was aware their purpose is to allow expansion and contraction of the rotors to help prevent warping, but I had never seen or heard of a way to service them.

Check out this little video a buddy sent me. Anyone else ever hear of this?

Delboy's Garage, How-To Free up 'motorcycle brake disc bobbins'.! - YouTube

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Yes I've seen vids of this. I've also seen vids of them cleaning the buttons then lubing them very carefully with some sort of spray grease. I would agree with your vid since lubing with grease would fling all over the rotors, no matter how little u use, & I wouldn't want to find out what could happen then

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Race trick too. You can turn a semi floating disk into a full floater this way. You just use a wrench on the back to squish the bobbin spring washer. Keeps your bike SS legal but works like SB brakes :devious
I will definitely be examining my buttons
:laugh That just struck me as funny!

Reactions: Ebster1085

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Oh, I'm not going anywhere near your buttons!

Reactions: Ebster1085

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I like how he is concerned about bike maintenance/safety and has that 'rat racer' chain dangling near his front wheel:) Sure hope those mount points hold-up for him.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Practical Sportsbike this month has an article on 'how-to' convert from riveted 'semi-floaters' to fully floating discs using a kit off the internet, I'm considering it as it'd sort out the brake judder I get at the moment.

I actually used the technique shown in the video that's been linked and made a set of 'warped' discs run true again. Seems that one of the rivets has seized again though as after a couple of spirited runs I've managed to get a judder coming through the lever under heavy braking.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Yeas, I have had mixed results doing that as well... And the ones it worked on sometimes it didn't work for real long while others have been problem free ever since.

I do almost exactly that method a couple times a year to my bike just when I am cleaning all the shit off my rotors.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm going to give this technique a go.
I wonder if this is going to help to get rid of judder I get under heavy braking, worth trying.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts