Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone have any experience with SENAs helmet offerings? They seem to have a number of designs with Bluetooth, with active noise cancellation. Some with camera systems as well....

Momentum, $530

I've read at least one bit of copy that says one of their designs has an oval shape, improved padding, better aero...... What did they have before?:O

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Are here brick and mortar stores that carry these helmets? The active noise cancellation is appealing, and I would expect that to be far more effective when it's integrated into the helmet rather than added on. Their website is aimed at dealing with customer issues, rather than providing information for prospective customers..... The offer bar mounted remote control modules, but none of the documents describe their functions. What's the difference between the 3 & 4 button remotes? Other than one more button.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I use a Sena communication system, but I don't have any experience with their helmets. I'm still not sure if I trust active noise cancellation as an actual hearing protection device.

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use a Sena communication system, but I don't have any experience with their helmets. I'm still not sure if I trust active noise cancellation as an actual hearing protection device.
I've been using over the ear active noise cancellation on plane flights since ~ 2007..... I don't fly without them any more. The volume needed to hear the movie, or your music is so much less. Instead of cranking it up so much that you're kicking your own eardrums arse, you can clearly hear conversational level stuff without the roar of all the mechanical noise, or the screaming infant a row away.

If you already have good isolation, due to the insulation of the muff or plug, the amount of energy in the offending noise is already much reduced...... Producing an equal but opposite noise to cancel the noise at that point takes far less power.

The AAA battery in my Bose quiet comfort can make my life much better throughout international air travel. Easily 12+ hours on one battery. More like 40+ hours.

Motorcycle noise levels are higher than airliner interiors, even during take off.

Bose without doubt makes exceptionally good noise cancellation gear. I spent $300 on the first set I bought my wife in 2001 or so. I bought myself a $60 pair of JVC in 2007 , and was happy enough; much better than ear plugs, not as good as Bose.

Try it. The only thing you have to lose is money.:BigGrin. Your hearing will thank you. Immediately.

I drove cross country, using those JVC to knock down the road noise for that three day adventure. I'd do it again without question, with my Bose.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Try it... Your hearing will thank you. Immediately.
I already use custom molded ear protection/ear monitors every ride (since the very beginning of when I started riding motorcycles). So my hearing is definitely protected! Just wasn't sure how much actual protection the noise cancellation tech would provide since there isn't a complete seal of the ear canal. Sounds like you have had good results with it though. Thanks for the details you provided!

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been talking to the customer reps at SENA, trying to get them to define what Intelligent Noise Control (INC). They claim it's active noise control, without using that term. I presume someone has trademark or patent on the term.

Looking further at their website they provide a graphic which shows a plot of reduction compared to frequency from somewhere around 60 Hz through 2 kHz or so. the only problem with the graph is it does not provide and values for the vertical axis, nor doe sit provide what units the measurement was made in (sound pressure, or sound intensity). If each horizontal line represents 10 dB, it's safe to say there's around a 15 dB reduction through the worst part of the wind noise. If it's 20 dB/line, you'd be getting a 30 dB reduction.

If you're getting 30 dB reduction in units comparable to foam type ear plugs, or custom molded units..... that's significant. I know my Bose Quiet Comfort over the ear phones reduce background noise by similar numbers to that.

If the units are different, or the scale is not expressed in a way that makes sense it's difficult to make any effective determination.

It is very easy to say, that whatever the reduction in background noise is, however far down that goes, you don't need to crank up what you DO want to hear as much. The lower both go, the better for your ears. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts