Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I bought a 2010 zx6r track bike a year ago. It was running great at the track, until the middle of the 2nd day when a valve broke and munged up the inside of the cylinder (see pics of piston and head). So I bought a 2012 motor with 500 miles on it, and my friend @ninjaman89 generously helped me swap the motor. Bike's been running great so far (6-8 track days).

My question to you folks is: what should I do with the blown motor? The head is still off.

Options I've thought of:
  • Try to sell the motor as-is. Anyone know what it might be worth? I've searched, but haven't found similar items for sale.
  • Part it out. Any advice as to which parts are the most "worth it", meaning are valuable and not too difficult to take apart and ship? I also want to avoid selling any parts that are possibly damaged or responsible for the engine failure.
  • Just take it to the junk yard. I hate to see it go to "waste" like that, but then again, if it's junk it's junk.
  • Keep it for spares. I don't really want to do this due to very limited space in my garage. I'd consider keeping parts though, like the transmission.

I'd love to hear any (serious) ideas I haven't thought of and your thoughts/advice. I know it sounds dumb, but I've been sort of paralyzed about what to do with it.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
531 Posts
There are some parts you can save from the engine as spares just in case you ever need that will be pricey should you need to buy them again. You have the clutch (if they were still good you will need them), you have the Pickup coil, you have the clutch and stator cover, the stator, the transmission. I'd keep those parts since they are small and wont take up much space...

·
Registered
8,231 Posts
The head is trashed, as is that piston/cylinders and likely that rod (your pictures don't show more)

I am sure the engine covers, clutch assembly, transmission and possibly the cases could be salvaged and sold to someone.............or just keep them for spare parts
You could obviously pull the shims out of the head and some of the parts and keep those around too

Selling it "as-is" I would not expect even a couple hundred bucks for it, considering the cost of shipping adding to that

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ok guys, thanks for the advice. I think I have my plan. Take key parts mentioned off and save or sell, then scrap the rest OR see if I can turn it into a sweet coffee table. :smile

Now for the next issue. To remove the transmission, I need to remove the drive (front) sprocket. I've read lots of the threads on this forum about removing that nut, and they generally say you need to stop the back wheel from moving with a board between back wheel and swing arm. But of course I can't do that because the motor isn't in the bike. How should I go about that? ???

Thanks again!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Shouldn't be too hard to get off with an impact, just make sure the lock washer behind it is flat.

You'll also either need an impact (preferred) or a clutch basket holder tool to get the clutch basket nut off in order to pull the transmission out.

You're more than welcome to bring it over here again dude and I can help.

·
Registered
10,996 Posts
Hi All,

I bought a 2010 zx6r track bike a year ago. It was running great at the track, until the middle of the 2nd day when a valve broke and munged up the inside of the cylinder (see pics of piston and head). So I bought a 2012 motor with 500 miles on it, and my friend @ninjaman89 generously helped me swap the motor. Bike's been running great so far (6-8 track days).

My question to you folks is: what should I do with the blown motor? The head is still off.

Options I've thought of:
  • Try to sell the motor as-is. Anyone know what it might be worth? I've searched, but haven't found similar items for sale.
  • Part it out. Any advice as to which parts are the most "worth it", meaning are valuable and not too difficult to take apart and ship? I also want to avoid selling any parts that are possibly damaged or responsible for the engine failure.
  • Just take it to the junk yard. I hate to see it go to "waste" like that, but then again, if it's junk it's junk.
  • Keep it for spares. I don't really want to do this due to very limited space in my garage. I'd consider keeping parts though, like the transmission.

I'd love to hear any (serious) ideas I haven't thought of and your thoughts/advice. I know it sounds dumb, but I've been sort of paralyzed about what to do with it.

Thank you!
I told ya when you guys were rebuilding it that I'd take off your hands. :D

I need a core to rebuild for my 2012! Won't get much for it as is. Maybe a couple hundred? Parting it out you'll have some pieces that can be sold, but may take time to sell. Not everyone looks for crankshafts, transmissions, etc. You'll be storing them for a while and they're heavy... so shipping is costly. Don't take it to the junk yard..... allow that engine to be reborn! I'll even come and pick it up so you don't have to do a damn thing! :D :D :D

If you want a transimssion (perfect condition) I'll trade the one I have for that core. Save you the work of pulling it apart. :devious

1 - 10 of 10 Posts