Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
101 - 120 of 140 Posts

· Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. Just a heads up about the company Raceboltuk.com. They sent me the wrong pieces for the bleeder valves. The parts do not fit and if I was not the type to thread bolts in by hand first, I would have cross thread their valves into my calipers causing a whole lot of headache.

I reached out to them to resolve the mix up and it's been over a week and they are ignoring my communication about the mix up. Everything else fit and since the valves cost me only like $20 or so, I'll take the lost rather then stress myself about $20.

In others news I went to Washington cycle works and had them tune my suspension for me that cost me $75. The only thing I have left to do is the dyno tune and I'm about done. Well we're never really completely done but I'll only be doing small little upgrades here and there to find the the bike. I'll get some pictures up soon as I get the chance

· Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
So, I'm basically done with the bike, here is the final results. The only thing left to do it get the bike dyno'ed

Carbon fiber frame guard, R&G tank slider, tank grip. Keyless gas cap, Block off plates and Race BMC filter under tank

M4 slip-on with gutted OEM header tygon reservoir delete (didn't bleed rear yet because I'm still debating on if I need rear SS lines), rear-set, rear strap hook
]

TI Bolt kits all over. I did not install the rotor TI bolts yet, the next time I remove the wheels, they'll get intstalled

Spiegler front SS brake lines with EBC EPFA pads, I'm thinking of doing the rear but IDK, I didn't really notice the difference when I did it on my other bikes. also radiator guard

More Safety wire and TI bolts

GB Race cover, more safety wire on the oil filter, quick shifter from RL

Racetech rear shock, 520 chain and sprocket conversion

Revalved Ohlin's damper, keyless ignition, Racetech cartridge kit, Driven Grips

Front view

· Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Very excited, I just booked a trip to NCBIKE with Motorcycle Xcitement for next weekend. This will be the first time I'm on the bike, the first time I'm on that track, and the first time on a track since breaking my collar bone. I'll post my opinions of how the bike handles. I decided to do the track day to iron out any possible issues for it can be 100% for next season. I will have my family there with me so likely I will not be pushing it. I still have not had the bike dyno'ed so I will just upload a similar mod map onto the PC5 until I do..

· Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
So last I posted, I stated I would just upload a general map for my upcoming track day but I said "screw it" and dropped the bike off at my motorcycle tuning shop, Powerhouse, located in Long Island NY. They did a great job with my R1 so I decided to have them do the zx6r before my track day. The point of the track day was to iron out any possible issues, so logic had me have the bike as close as possible to being complete by tuning it now rather then later. They charged me $325 for the tune, I'll update you on my results on Thursday when I pick up the bike from them.

· Director of Moderation
7,732 Posts
Or you planning on racing or just track days? If you're racing, that front number plate is not legal for CCS, and I'm guessing WERA as well. Just sayin...;)

· Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Or you planning on racing or just track days? If you're racing, that front number plate is not legal for CCS, and I'm guessing WERA as well. Just sayin...;)
Hello SBK1198, when I first began this project in January it was to race in 2017 but after I broke my collar bone in May, not having any track seat time since then, and my sister passing away a few months ago, I've decided to hold off on racing until maybe 2018. I need to get comfortable again with trusting myself and the bike plus I need to recovery from such a horrible financial year. To bury my sister cost me $22,000 and my collar bone $4000 (Make sure you have life and medical insurance people so your burdens in life does not fall on you family). The 2017 track days season will help me determine where I am at with the idea of racing again.

I asked about the plate somewhere earlier on someone's thread but I don't recall anyone answering so I appreciate your information. I guess for now the plate is fine until I look into racing. Since were on the topic, what is the rule with picking your number? I've always used 69 but what if that number is taken? Are you forced to change it?

· Director of Moderation
7,732 Posts
Hello SBK1198, when I first began this project in January it was to race in 2017 but after I broke my collar bone in May, not having any track seat time since then, and my sister passing away a few months ago, I've decided to hold off on racing until maybe 2018. I need to get comfortable again with trusting myself and the bike plus I need to recovery from such a horrible financial year. To bury my sister cost me $22,000 and my collar bone $4000 (Make sure you have life and medical insurance people so your burdens in life does not fall on you family). The 2017 track days season will help me determine where I am at with the idea of racing again.

I asked about the plate somewhere earlier on someone's thread but I don't recall anyone answering so I appreciate your information. I guess for now the plate is fine until I look into racing. Since were on the topic, what is the rule with picking your number? I've always used 69 but what if that number is taken? Are you forced to change it?
Ouch! Sorry to hear about your misfortunes and about your sister. I can't believe how expensive it is to bury someone! That is outrageous! It's a shame people made a business out of it in recent decades which skyrocketed prices. I thought it's typically around $10,000 and even then I thought that was a lot!

Regarding the plate, it's not the number...it's the size. The back ones are fine at 4", but it looks like the front ones are the same size. Most racing orgs require 6" numbers on the front. I ended up sucking it up and buying actual number plates for $60 a set. I like what you did though because it looks good, it's cheap, and having the numbers separate from the plate means you can just change the numbers when you need to. Which leads to your other question. Depending on the race org, when you get your license you'll request a number, which may or may not be available. 2-digit numbers are hard to come by for people that are just getting into it (I got lucky that I was able to get 77 but that's only because of the location that I live in). On top of that, famous numbers such as 46, 93, 69, 99, 27 will also be hard to get because....well cuz everyone wants to be Rossi, Marquez, Hayden, Lorenzo, Stoner, etc. :D

If you haven't raced before with any sanctioned organization, you'll have to start as an "amateur"...which means your plates need to be yellow. White is for experts :) Hope that helps. Where are you located by the way? Just to get an idea of what org you might race with.

· Director of Moderation
7,732 Posts
Never mind...just saw Long Island by your name. Guessing NY? So you would likely do CCS Northeast region, so the rules I mentioned still apply.

· Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Ouch! Sorry to hear about your misfortunes and about your sister. I can't believe how expensive it is to bury someone! That is outrageous! It's a shame people made a business out of it in recent decades which skyrocketed prices. I thought it's typically around $10,000 and even then I thought that was a lot!

Regarding the plate, it's not the number...it's the size. The back ones are fine at 4", but it looks like the front ones are the same size. Most racing orgs require 6" numbers on the front. I ended up sucking it up and buying actual number plates for $60 a set. I like what you did though because it looks good, it's cheap, and having the numbers separate from the plate means you can just change the numbers when you need to. Which leads to your other question. Depending on the race org, when you get your license you'll request a number, which may or may not be available. 2-digit numbers are hard to come by for people that are just getting into it (I got lucky that I was able to get 77 but that's only because of the location that I live in). On top of that, famous numbers such as 46, 93, 69, 99, 27 will also be hard to get because....well cuz everyone wants to be Rossi, Marquez, Hayden, Lorenzo, Stoner, etc. :D

If you haven't raced before with any sanctioned organization, you'll have to start as an "amateur"...which means your plates need to be yellow. White is for experts :) Hope that helps. Where are you located by the way? Just to get an idea of what org you might race with.
Well with regards to burying someone, $10-15k is usually the going price but my sister was well loved and known so we had an extravagant affair. We had over a thousand people at the funeral, about two or three hundred people at the repast, and my parents did not want her under ground so we put her in a crip. A beautiful fairwell for a beautiful person.

With regards to the plate color. That info I knew but not the remaining details you educated me on. I currently live in long islands NY and ride with different organizations like, Motorcycle Xcitement, ACE, and Tony's Track day...

No tracks close to me so I travel an average of 3 to 4 hours to get to most locations.

But on another note, I'm so upset. When I booked my track day the day looked beautiful, now I see rain in the forecast for NCBIKE

Attachments

· Director of Moderation
7,732 Posts
Well with regards to burying someone, $10-15k is usually the going price but my sister was well loved and known so we had an extravagant affair. We had over a thousand people at the funeral, about two or three hundred people at the repast, and my parents did not want her under ground so we put her in a crip. A beautiful fairwell for a beautiful person.

With regards to the plate color. That info I knew but not the remaining details you educated me on. I currently live in long islands NY and ride with different organizations like, Motorcycle Xcitement, ACE, and Tony's Track day...

No tracks close to me so I travel an average of 3 to 4 hours to get to most locations.

But on another note, I'm so upset. When I booked my track day the day looked beautiful, now I see rain in the forecast for NCBIKE
At least you can still have the option to go. My season was over like 7 weeks ago! lol...I don't feel like traveling like 10+ hours to get to some tracks in the south.

I used to be upset about rain too...then I bought rain tires. Now I'm good :D Highly recommend it!

· Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
At least you can still have the option to go. My season was over like 7 weeks ago! lol...I don't feel like traveling like 10+ hours to get to some tracks in the south.

I used to be upset about rain too...then I bought rain tires. Now I'm good :D Highly recommend it!
Well as of right now I'm keeping my eyes open for someone selling rims at a reasonable price. Once they pop up and the stars are financially aligned that will be the next purchase I make.

· Registered
1,031 Posts
Reactions: sbk1198

· Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
So I go out to NCBIKE for a track day with Motorcycle Xcitement this Saturday. The weather was perfect, the bike was almost prefect, and the track was perfect. The only problem with the whole scenario was the pilot. This was my first time back on the track since I broke my collar bone. I usually run the intermediate or a slower expert group. With the way I was riding, I should have gone back into the novice group. My mind refused to let me be comfortable or trust that I would not crash braking late or going into the corners with speed. The bike was so fucking stable and strong these thoughts were just not rational. The fear of hurting myself was not the issue though. The fear of disappointing my family and not being able to provide for them was really what gave me this mental barrier to contend with. Because of my previous injury, before I went to the track day, family and friends continued to instill in my mind that "I got lucky last time" what if I dies with a baby on the way and your mother just lost a child, why was I risking making her go through it again. I don't like negative energy around me. I feel negative energy brings about negative outcomes so that thought played in my mind.

This was my last track day of the year. I think for 2017, I will really have to go back into the novice group until my fears subside and confidence return. That shit really hurt my feelings having other riders passing me on the outside of turns, walking away from me with nothing I could do to stop the mental distractions and focus on my lines. I also plan not to tell people where I am going. With no information to them will mean no negative energy towrds me

As I mentioned before, the bike ran almost perfectly. There are three things I have to do for better control. One is get that motion Pro throttle tube. I cant deal with that double twist to get 100% throttle. The second is re-glue the left grip. The thing started slipping off. Third is change the RL quick shifter to a dyno jet. I had an RL on my R1 that malfunctioned and the thought of a malfunction was present in my mind so I have to remove it so I can start rebuilding my confidence again.

Last thing is the dyno tune, it produced 115hp. IDK what it had before since I did all the mods and then just tuned it. I'll post some pictures of that once I get a chance. In reading other threads about where i should be in HP, it seems I'm about where I'm supposed to be

· Registered
802 Posts
About your next trackday - you are not a novice, so you have no business in that group. But, turn off every kind of timekeeping, video recording and do not compare yourself with the others. The speed of a group is decided by the people it consists of, not its name. I've seen "medium" participators go faster then the ones in the fastest group. Go there to have fun instead of to practice and get faster, that will make it a lot easier to relax, and when you relax and have fun, all you need is some sort of inspiration to get back to where you were, and the novices will most likely not inspire you... Of course I cannot guarantee that this will work for you, but for me it did, very well. (First time on track since a couple of big malfunctions and a crash and I beat my personal best from 64.1 seconds to 62.2 when I put my transponder back on)

· Director of Moderation
7,732 Posts
So I go out to NCBIKE for a track day with Motorcycle Xcitement this Saturday. The weather was perfect, the bike was almost prefect, and the track was perfect. The only problem with the whole scenario was the pilot. This was my first time back on the track since I broke my collar bone. I usually run the intermediate or a slower expert group. With the way I was riding, I should have gone back into the novice group. My mind refused to let me be comfortable or trust that I would not crash braking late or going into the corners with speed. The bike was so fucking stable and strong these thoughts were just not rational. The fear of hurting myself was not the issue though. The fear of disappointing my family and not being able to provide for them was really what gave me this mental barrier to contend with. Because of my previous injury, before I went to the track day, family and friends continued to instill in my mind that "I got lucky last time" what if I dies with a baby on the way and your mother just lost a child, why was I risking making her go through it again. I don't like negative energy around me. I feel negative energy brings about negative outcomes so that thought played in my mind.

This was my last track day of the year. I think for 2017, I will really have to go back into the novice group until my fears subside and confidence return. That shit really hurt my feelings having other riders passing me on the outside of turns, walking away from me with nothing I could do to stop the mental distractions and focus on my lines. I also plan not to tell people where I am going. With no information to them will mean no negative energy towrds me

As I mentioned before, the bike ran almost perfectly. There are three things I have to do for better control. One is get that motion Pro throttle tube. I cant deal with that double twist to get 100% throttle. The second is re-glue the left grip. The thing started slipping off. Third is change the RL quick shifter to a dyno jet. I had an RL on my R1 that malfunctioned and the thought of a malfunction was present in my mind so I have to remove it so I can start rebuilding my confidence again.

Last thing is the dyno tune, it produced 115hp. IDK what it had before since I did all the mods and then just tuned it. I'll post some pictures of that once I get a chance. In reading other threads about where i should be in HP, it seems I'm about where I'm supposed to be
^That statement in bold! Can be very helpful when you have a family that doesn't support your hobby. I've done that a couple of times in the past as well because my parents (mom particularly) are all about worrying and giving off that negative energy like you said. I feel much better when I don't have to deal with a bunch of calls and texts asking me if I'm ok. I just want to enjoy my day. I always told them, you will get a call if something goes bad, because I always put my dad as the emergency contact. If you don't get a call, that means all is well...so chill the fuck out! Ok, I didn't say that last part, but I really wanted to! :D

I can see why you might not want to take too much risk based on the events going on in your life. Totally understandable. But the thing that most people don't get, is that you can realistically ride at a really fun but safe pace pretty much all day every day without crashing. Riding at 80-90% of your ability may translate to just being 2-3 seconds off your personal best, and you should be able to do that consistently and without taking much risk at all. Now, there's always the chance of someone else hitting you or something malfunctioning on your bike causing a crash, but that's out of your control really, so worrying about that does you no good at all.

· Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
It been a while since I last posted anything... I've been busy helping my wife with the new addition to our family so I have not been doing anything related to track life. I pulled out some parts that's just been collecting dust to see if I can finally get them installed. I have some TI bits from painfullyslo, motion pro throttle kit, driven axle block, front slider from t-rex, and some throttle grip glue.

I started putting the TI bits on the rear wheel but there was a breakdown in communication when I ordered my TI bits from painfullyslo. I received five sprocket nuts instead of six. The whole experience just deflated my drive to work on the bike. I put five out of the six nuts on, then put the TI bits on the rear rotor, put the wheel back on, with the new driven blocks, before calling it a day. I reached out for @PainfullySlo regarding the error. When I get the one nut, I'll finalize the putting everything on.

This is killing me that I have such an incredible machine and I cannot go to the track. My wife is still out of work so all of the bills are on me, which does not allow for a track budget. When I purchased my house my wife and I planned for only one child in our life so we bought a two bedroom house. Now that we have little man here, we are forced to sell and buy another home with additional rooms. I have a track day scheduled for the last week of September and that's it for the year. This year was a total wash, and with this selling and buying a new home, 2018 track season may be a wash as well:frown

I hope I am able to keep the bike, it would suck to have to sell it after all this work and money I put into it... The one day I rode it on track, I can tell that I can really get busy when I got used to the bike and knocked out all of the subconscious fear I think I'm harvesting from my injury last year.

Attachments

· Super Moderator
17,015 Posts
^^ would an addition on the house you are in now, be out of the question?

If you look at the cost of escrow, additional cost of the payment on the new place, all the costs associated with moving, etc...... it might be cheaper to add on to what you have now.

If you can have a general contractor come and look at your place, and help you decide what the options are, including permits, etc.... at least you'd have a good basis for a decision.

./

· Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 · (Edited)
^^ would an addition on the house you are in now, be out of the question?

If you look at the cost of escrow, additional cost of the payment on the new place, all the costs associated with moving, etc...... it might be cheaper to add on to what you have now.

If you can have a general contractor come and look at your place, and help you decide what the options are, including permits, etc.... at least you'd have a good basis for a decision.

./
Thanks for the idea but we did think about that. I live in NYC where everything here is a rape session. Starting price for my simple cape was starting around $50,000 for an add-on. I'd rather take that money plus the equity in my home and start fresh. I plan to move back with my mother for a year where me and the wife should save $50,000 during that time. Added with the equity we should have a large down payment for a new home... Another reason for the change is my job just did away with our pension. The plan was to retire at 55 and move to FL and buy the dream house. With no pension, likely I'll have to work until an older age. So we decided to just buy the better house now. A lot of things changed so we are just adjusting for those changes. IDK how much track I can do when we are trying to save to rebuild again... Children really do not realize how much sacrifice a parent makes in regards to their own happiness. It's as an adult I'm beginning to think about what my parents gave up for their children

I Know slow is going through some stuff right now, and he haven't reached out to me as of yet. You think it will be ok if I have 5 TI bolts and one regular nut. How bad can on heavier nut offset the balance of my rear drive?

101 - 120 of 140 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.