Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

81 - 100 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I'm trying to find a track bike right now. I would have used my last 636 but the frames twisted. Craigslist and Kijiji both have nothing in my hood right now.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I'm trying to find a track bike right now. I would have used my last 636 but the frames twisted. Craigslist and Kijiji both have nothing in my hood right now.
Well you can search the WERA classified also, they have a lot of great prices on track bikes. Hopefully you can find something near you. Or you can search eBay for a salvaged or no title frame that can go from around $300-$1000, and just do a frame swap.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Also, I'm very excited that I just ordered my CF frame covers. I've researched that Terostat 9220 is the adhesive to use to bond the cover onto the frame but I cant seem to find it anywhere. Anyone have a link or know where I can get this stuff?.
Since I didn't get any input from anyone about the adhesive for the carbon fiber frame cover, I went to autozone to try and find the strongest bond that I could. I found this loctite product, which is a permanent, really strong bond. I trust loctite so unless I get any reasons I should not use it, beside it's permanent, this is what I'm going with.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
Since I didn't get any input from anyone about the adhesive for the carbon fiber frame cover, I went to autozone to try and find the strongest bond that I could. I found this loctite product, which is a permanent, really strong bond. I trust loctite so unless I get any reasons I should not use it, beside it's permanent, this is what I'm going with.
The instruction say to use silicone sealant :O

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
The instruction say to use silicone sealant :O

Dam it 41... That was my only concern also. I could not find any silicone bonding sealant at Home depot. Plenty of silicone sealant tubes but non that are specified for bonding.

I thought, what can go wrong:O, this is a permanent bonding product that can be used on anything indoor and out. The only thing they do not recommend it for is for urethane type items

I found the other bonding agents recommended to do the job but they are all over sea and it will cost be like $60-$80 for two tubes of 80ML silicone because of the shipping.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
So with lightning fast shipping, my frame cover arrived today. I test fit it and, the cover will need a little minor trimming. The holes on the cover does not match the holes on the frame, they are like 5mm off. I still have not decided what glue to use to affix the cover. Here's a sneak peak of how it will look when permanent on the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Also, since I was messing with the bike, I decided to mount the R/R. After it was mounted, I painted the silver bracket black and put Tesa heat resistant wire tape since the wires were so close to the R/R which at time can really get hot.

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Today, I installed the frame cover and tank slider. I decided to not go with the loctite adhesive. The only silicon adhesive I could find was the permatex so I rolled the dice and went with it. The tank slider had it's own adhesive so that's what I went with.

I'm kind of getting excited about this build since I'm almost done. I just have the brake lines to install, paint the race fairings, touch up paint the tank, get the bike dyno tuned, and get the suspension tuned and I'm done:bigthumb:, well that is unless there are other things I'm forgetting.

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Forgot to mention, since my CBR track bike is dead I transplanted the WPS light weight battery that was on that bike into the zx. It fit and works perfectly...

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
FYI, the silicon adhesive worked great. As hard as I tried, I could not pull the covers off.

Here's a picture of how the bike looks with the fairings back on. The camera does not do justice of how it looks. Looks way better in person.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
FYI, the silicon adhesive worked great. As hard as I tried, I could not pull the covers off.

Here's a picture of how the bike looks with the fairings back on. The camera does not do justice of how it looks. Looks way better in person.
Did you use the permatex sealant or the included one?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #94 (Edited)
BTW, the frame cover is from a Europe company called Roks carbon. It cost me $190 with shipping. If you're a perfectionist then this may not be for you. There were tiny little imperfections in the resin curing and the holes cut. Nothing glaring but I could point them out if need be. Every other cover I found averaged around $400 with the shipping so 50% off with those minor imperfections, I'm good with.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Hey everyone, sorry for the slow updates, my little sister just passed away in an accident which has really taken a major impact on my emotional state. Way to young to depart from this world, but at least I had 33 great years with her.

I recently started working on the bike again this weekend and it really took my mind off of it. I managed to paint the fairings matte black. Paint job looks good but it needs some bling. It just being black looks a little dull. I'm going to put the monster energy decal on the side fairings, number plates, front fender Dunlop logo decal. What do you think of the SBK headlights decal. I found them for $30. Also I'm not a licensed racer, what color number plate you think I should get? I'm thinking gray backing with black numbers.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Just wanted to post an updated picture of the bike. The only things I have left to do is install the steel braided lines, bring the bike to power house in long islands to get it custom tuned, bring the bike to Washington cycle work in NJ so they can adjust my suspension, and maybe add the number plates. Of course little modifications will be added here and there but the bulk of the work is complete.

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Today, I made a race number plate. I didn't want to spend the $70 so I had some white vinyl wrap, went to home depot and bought some number decals, and lastly autozone for pinstripes. A total of $10 got me my home made number plates.

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #100 (Edited)
A little excited today. Between ordering from painfullyslo and Raceboltuk, I got all my TI bolts finally in. I ordered the front and rear rotor bolts, caliper bolts, and sprocket nuts from painfullyslo. I bought a fork bolt kit (all bolts on forks), brake bleeder valves, caliper pins from racebolts. Cost me a little over $300 for everything. When you look at them it looks like a whole lot of money for nothing but, they are drilled for safety wires and are about 40% light then stock. All of that adds up.

Attachments

81 - 100 of 138 Posts