Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the ZX6 now and its stunning not been out much as the weather in manchester is crap!!..To the point, I read the hand book and it says keep bike around 4krpm to run engine in for first 1000miles.
Spoke to a friend who rides and has done for years who says dont take it above 10k rpm for the 600miles..So i looked on line and got a load of other ways to run the bike in.
So as you guys all ride pretty much the same bike as me and you all know what your talking about (help) what did u guys do? follow the hand book, or is there a way to run in that saves me pottering around for the next 1000 miles at 4k RPM???

·
Registered
35 Posts
Got the ZX6 now and its stunning not been out much as the weather in manchester is crap!!..To the point, I read the hand book and it says keep bike around 4krpm to run engine in for first 1000miles.
Spoke to a friend who rides and has done for years who says dont take it above 10k rpm for the 600miles..So i looked on line and got a load of other ways to run the bike in.
So as you guys all ride pretty much the same bike as me and you all know what your talking about (help) what did u guys do? follow the hand book, or is there a way to run in that saves me pottering around for the next 1000 miles at 4k RPM???
Never bothered running in any of my last couple of new bikes
after about 20 miles got bored
so flat out from then on
the only thing i find is uses a little more oil

·
Registered
553 Posts
I ran mine like the book said for about 800 miles, changed the oil at 500 and agian at 800 miles and rode it like I stole it. No issues at all out of mine!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Depends if you intend keeping it a long time, if you do, do as the book says but don't stick to one speed, vary the revs and don't be afraid when its warmed up of taking 2/3000 rpm past what they recommend for short periods. If you bimble around at 4000rpmnever loading/unloading the engine you can glaze the bores.
If you don't intend keeping it, rag the shit out of it, it'll still be fine after 3 years, just don't sell it to me.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
honostly the whole break in thing from the maunfactuer is retarded.
The engines built today have really good tolerances and do not have the same deformaties as in the past which is why you have to 'break' an engine in.. as in wear off the uneven parts.

Honostly i would follow the book for about 2 or 3 miles... just dont stick to the same rpm for more than a few seconds and dont go above 10 or 11k till the 600 miles.. change the oil and then ride normal... aka like its stolen
i started a thread just like this a few weeks ago...
some people should read the fourms before they post =)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts