Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon lads I've just been fitting my new r and g crash protectors
LHS was no bother RHS the Allen bolt head has totally rounded with great ease
As well drained the life out of me tried a pipe wrench onit but the aluminium just
Chews up any advice would be much appreciated

·
Registered
171 Posts
Lots of ways to get out bad bolts. Easy-outs are not generally my first option, but easy to find.
I often try to cut/grind a slot for a flat head screw driver first. Sometimes works, but may be tough with the location and torque of your stuck bolt.
It is possible to drill out the bolt. Get some good bits, start small, then keep stepping up the bit size till the bolt is no more. This takes a steady hand and a patience. Start with a punch to make sure your drill bit bites in the center of the bolt the first time.
Do you know any welders? If things get really bad I like to weld a rod on the end of the bolt and use vice grips. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
13,177 Posts
Whack a torx bit into it then back it out slowly?

Ey3

Reactions: CMSRacing

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I second drilling it out small going larger, and a nice quality extractor set works wonders, not EZOUT. Also not sure the situation without pictures, but cutting the head off sometimes works, cutting a slit for a flat edge, hammering a larger Allen into it, heating up with a blow torch, impact drill are a few ways.

Post pics

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got some torx bits smashed one in there and managed to get it out thanks for the advice lads crash protectors are now in ������

1 - 5 of 5 Posts