Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Sadly I wadded my 99 r1 by chopping the throttle mid turn full lean 70ish.transferred all the weight and whammo pavement. I knew how to roll off the throttle but panicked at the sight of a garbage bag in the line. This is a good read.thanks.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Excellent tip

Awesome post Venge. I really needed this advice I have that exact issue and now I can't wait to go ride and use my new knowledge. I love this site and all of you who post here.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Quick is slow and slow is quick!

Great write up, we just need to keep our physics class in mind when riding. Sudden forces applied can easily break the friction coefficient. But a steady increasing force over a longer period of time results in more force needed to break the friction. That's why you have to try super hard all at once to open a stuck jar vs slowly trying harder and harder.

I really enjoy what this forum has to offer, I've progressed much faster in my riding here than I would have done by my self in the streets. Nice and easy...

Reactions: CashIs Clay

·
Registered
888 Posts
The old Keith Code mantra - once the throttle is cracked open it must be held steady or opened. I try to stick to that. But yeah, sand - um, steady state and ride through it IMHO.
Twist of the Wrist II advice. Good stuff. But Code does go on to say that if you absolutely have to, roll back the throttle instead of snapping it back.

I need to practice smooth roll backs more, honestly.

·
Super Moderator
12,834 Posts
Not gonna lie, I chop the throttle mid corner anytime I see a hazard. Usually sand. I think the difference is that I know what happens when I chop the throttle so I'm countering those actions at the same time.

I honestly can't think of another good way to react to sand mid corner. Mind you, this is before getting in the sand. If I notice it to late then I stay on the throttle and try to stay as relaxed as possible. :laugh
In totw2 code says something like "while you must not be aggressive with the throttle you must not chop it either" I will note time stamps when I get home.
Ey3

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I like how mom put it as "counter intuitive"...sometimes when I doing the more spirited riding I feel as if I'm "dirty dancing" with my hands...I feel like my brain could never keep up with my hands when I'm gettin down with her. I don't ride her, I dance with her.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Resurecting this thread. "When in doubt gas it out" is a phrase taught by the great Aaron Stevenson who runs the cornerspin school in Salisbury NC. He teaches the skill sneeded to control a bike in low traction environments. The key is throttle control and not rolling off but rather picking the bike up and adding throttle input. You can brake with the bike standing straight up pretty hard in the sand. I highly suggest taking a school for that like the Supercamp by Danny Walker on the west coast or Texas Tornado Boot camp or Cornerspin in NC. Lots of great info.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's hard fighting the instinct to brake mid corner when you realize the corner is tighter than expected an you overcooked it coming in. That hard brake instead of hard lean and throttle chop is probably responsible for more accidents than any car cutting a rider off.

Throttle modulation, IMHO, is the most important part of riding and the initial post is a big part of that. Smooth on and off the throttle is so important.....that and realizing how much further you can lean and still be quite ok. One thing I have stafted to uilize is an electronic angle guage to tell me how deep I am. Yes, "chicken strips" are a good indicator, but seat of your pants feeling is not. I would say a LOT of us feel lile we sre near limits when in reality, we aren't even half way there.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you want to see how throttle control can make or break you..watch the movie The Unrideables...about the 80"s 500 cc GP bikes..one tiny mistake and they threw you off them. Its on Amazon video.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts