Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I managed to sweep the clamps 'forward' enough to where the bar controls don't hit the tank at full lock. The bar angle adjustment gave me enough so that I still have the bars at a comfortable angle.

I think I MAY get away with the brake lines I have; I managed to get a bit more free play by rotating the lines from the MC more towards the front of the bike. I can do a full extension check to see if the lines bind up while I wait for the grips to arrive. Still have to come up with a front MC reservoir mount. Just need a bit of flat stock that I can bend to suit, and drill holes.

That will require some poking around in my scrap pile.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You may want to adjust the sag in your rear suspension so when you sit on the bike with your full weight it compensates for the2" higher seat, unless your legs are really long and you can still flat foot while at a stop. . .

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
This is looking straight ahead, with the 11" bars, 10 mm spacers, 35 cm risers, and weighted bar end sliders.

Span is a bit wider, bars are more 'flat' with a bit less sweep back. My front MC reservoir is not connected to anything yet.... still need to figure out a bracket mod for that. You can see the clutch lever; that's rotated about 60° 'down' relative to the bar with respect to the horizontal plane. It interferes with the riser. Cannot rotate it higher to more closely match the angle I want to reach for the clutch lever due to the contact the clutch perch makes with the riser. It's so tight, I had to readjust my clutch slack to compress the lever end adjuster as far back into the perch as I could -- and I had to remove the OEM spring detent gizmo.

This is a close up of that clutch side interference.

Harder to see on the brake side, as there's a lot more stuff passing through the same area.... same issue.

I have been discussing their 12" bar option, to gain the clearance needed to allow the levers full range of motion to rotate around the bar as desired.

The longer bars will give me more room to shift the levers 'out' another inch, so they clear the risers. I'm pretty sure that extra inch will play hob with the length of all my controls.....

If they ship me a set, I'll try them out to see what works best. hoping they toss in the reservoir mount I wanted to order a couple of weeks ago that were not in stock when I placed my order. I will almost certainly need new front brake lines. The set I have now has enough slack to accept the greater than OEM spacing I am at now. I've jacked the front wheel off the ground to ensure the forks were completely extended, still some slack in the lines so what I have now, works with the setup I have now.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just received the 12" bars from Woodcraft , will mount them up by the weeks end. Too much to do before then. This will alleviate the lever angle adjustment issues at the expense of a wide span between the grips. The tech support has been phenomenal. Every time a tweak needs to be made, parts are in my hands within 48 hours.

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
I have been installing the 13" replacement bars on most everything......... Doesn't mean you need to use the whole 13" (extend/tuck the extra inside the fork tube)

but yeah......... that interference looks terrible, I suppose the levers are far too high if you go over that mount?

I think you may have been better served with the 0* option rather than the 7* option in bar angle????

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Lloyd, it's hard to see the eccentrics inside the riser that let you rotate the bar angles.... they can be adjusted through the full +/- 7° by rotating the eccentric. I've got them closer to flat than the -7 the OEM setup required. The feel weird with an 'up' angle to them.

The side mount riser has brought the bars back towards the ride at least an inch. That causes the control pod switches to hit the tank if the bar sweep is the same as OEM.... forces a less swept angle on to the bars to maintain the clearance.

When I mount the longer bars, I will cheat them in as far as I can with the clearance to adjust the levers properly.... might be 1/2 to 3/4 " rather than the full inch.

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Lloyd, it's hard to see the eccentrics inside the riser that let you rotate the bar angles.... they can be adjusted through the full +/- 7° by rotating the eccentric. I've got them closer to flat than the -7 the OEM setup required. The feel weird with an 'up' angle to them.

The side mount riser has brought the bars back towards the ride at least an inch. That causes the control pod switches to hit the tank if the bar sweep is the same as OEM.... forces a less swept angle on to the bars to maintain the clearance.

When I mount the longer bars, I will cheat them in as far as I can with the clearance to adjust the levers properly.... might be 1/2 to 3/4 " rather than the full inch.
I see now, didn't realize those you could adjust..........

You could add to the steering stops just a smidge without adverse effects to prevent controls from hitting the tank! But you would have to turn til almost touching the tank and see how much steering angle you have to reduce, you don't want to end up having to do a 40 point turn everytime you want to turn around.........

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The sweep of the bars was a tad too aggressive for my street riding, OEM. My gloves always bunched up funny in my palms as a result. Less sweep should fix that.

Woodcraft's standard riser design, which locates the bar 'forward' of the fork tube like OEM would probably be a whole lot less of an issue getting the kit sorted.. Known quantity; kinks worked out years ago. The side mount design, with the bar angle adjustment appealed as it would let me set it for what I wanted.

Note to self..... New left grip on new bars are a PITA to take back off without destroying ....

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The last piece of the puzzle was sorting out a bracket for the front MC reservoir.

I used the same point on the brake lever perch, and abused a piece of a joist hanger to create a bracket to hand the reservoir on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Have you taken it out yet? If so, how'd it feel? I wish I could get my angle closer to yours without modding the front cowl.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Haven't had a dry day yet, so it's sitting. I expect the steering will be lighter effort because of how much wider the grips are from the OEM providing more leverage. Sweep and angle are more UJM than SS, but still about at the height of the upper triple. Grips are slightly more open than shoulder width. Very nearly low dirt bike.

The only cowling interference is from the MC reservoir, and that just touches the edge of the screen at full lock left. That's due to the side mount risers. Since the bars are so much further back on the tubes, they're also that much further back from the cowl.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Have you taken it out yet? If so, how'd it feel? I wish I could get my angle closer to yours without modding the front cowl.
I took it out this morning for a short ride. I like it. Needed to bring it back and adjust the sweep on the left bar, I didn't have it at the same angle as the right bar, and that made the bar angle just a little bit different side to side. I tweaked it with the idea of going right back out, and overheated in my gear. Another time. I know it's very, very close to what I want. Adjusted the levers to suit riding the bike more as well... not too far off the mark, but it's more comfortable now.

I am fairly confident that my riding gloves won't bunch up on my palm, any more.

Steering is definitely lower effort; as I was thinking the grips are at least 4" further from the triple than before -- that gives more leverage and that lowers the effort. It's not twitchy or anything, just lower effort to initiate a turn. Not sure how much less forward lean I have as the width of the grips leans you forward a bit more, which seems to offset some of the 'up and back' from the risers.

I do know that I can sit further back on the seat, on top of the inflatable pad and am as comfortable as I have ever been on the bike. The suspension action is different, depending on where I am on the seat. I feel more 'busyness' from the front, when my weight is back.

Had to laugh at myself, tho. I got it out of the garage, then went in and put on my gear and walked back out to the bike, mounted up and hit the starter. As always, caught on the first rev of the motor. Put it in gear, and it died. Starter wouldn't work..... put it back in neutral, started again, put it in gear..... died.

Then I looked down and saw that my side stand was still down. :)

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
^ fucking noob.......... lol

Reactions: RJ2112
21 - 36 of 36 Posts