An R6 rider introduced himself to me while I was waiting at a gas station to begin a ride with a couple of friends. He was 6' 2" tall, and the R6 was more cramped than he wanted to be. He had installed risers on his R6, that brought the clip ons well above the triple probably by a couple of inches. He offered to let me sit on it, which I did, and recognized how much more comfortable I would be on my ZX6 with a similar setup.... with the inflatable cushion my wife bought me for the seat (to open up the angle on my hips and knees) I am elevated 2" from the normal seat height. Really increases the load that puts on my hands.
Risers are in my future; or a bike that suits me better ergonomically...
I was somewhat uncomfortable the next day..... shoulders, and forearms were tired. Lots more humping the tank because I couldn't brace into the painted surface well enough. Wife has ordered some kit of stuff to stick on the tank to mitigate that.
I get less pressure on the tank, due to 2 less inches of leverage.... the tank grip should provide enough traction to make up for that. I've been quite comfortable with my riding pants connection to the painted tank, before the increased seat height. Because the pad is shaped like the seat, it is narrow at the front and wider as it goes back.... I ride further back on the pad than I do on the seat without it, so that further decreases the knee/tank contact.
The bars are turned to the left, which makes the difference greater.....looking at the picture over the triple clamp, you can see the riser brings the clip on just above the top surface of the triple. A significant elevation to be sure, but I would have to wonder which height riser that was, the 35 mm, the 75 mm, or something else. Another question is whether this is the side mount, or front mount system. Looks like it would be the side mount -- something I think I want as that will keep the bars further back.
So I got my parts today from Woodcraft.... Supported the chassis and loosened the triple clamps so I could remove the OEM clip ons. Dropped the forks out of the upper clamp, removed the screws pinning the clip ons to the triple, and remounted forks.
I've built up the risers, and mounted them on the forks. I've got most of the switchgear and levers test fitted. Will continue tomorrow, setting the sweep, and bar angle. Looks like it's going to require longer brake lines. Still working out clearances, and I was disappointed to discover that I'm two bolts short of what I need.
Have to drill a hole so the locating pin in the switch pod has somewhere to go.
That's Eric Wood's recommended solution... 35 mm risers on side mount clamps, with a 10 mm spacer to limit contact between the risers and the triple.
Still tweaking the angles, trying to get the bar angles set for me and will probably have to rotate the tube clamps forward some.... I can't get to full lock without the switch assemblies hitting the tank. I may need to take the spacers out to see if that helps.
Front mc reservoir doesn't work on the OEM bracket. Had to remove the detent spring from the clutch adjuster to clear the risers.
I bought the weighted bar end sliders, as my OEM bars have substantial solid metal weights.... I didn't want to lose the vibration reduction, and having a replaceable tip seemed sensible. Could've tried to fight with my old OEM weights, wanted to solve it more quickly.
Everything from Woodcraft is well made, fits precisely, has nice finishes. The supplied bolts and fasteners are high quality. Instructions are simple and clear.
I knew before I started this that it would take some back and forth to make it as good as could be. Not there yet, but reasonably close. I'm glad Eric cut me some slack on the price to encourage me to be the guinea pig. I won't have my replacement grips for a few more days, so my bike will remain down for a little bit.
I'll figure out how to make the best of what I have.