Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all;

Alright today I tried to put my frame sliders on. I have the left one on but not the right. I have an 07 6R. Shogun frame slider kit that contains no cut. I have loosened the fairing to make things easier on me. I have tried to loosen the engine bolt and nothing happens. Should the nut be loosened first some how and then the bolt? Or how should I do the right side? Can someone help me plz.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
yeah that thing is a bitch you gotta be really careful you don't strip it. i got it off using a wrench

·
Registered
299 Posts
two words: impact wrench.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I had to use vice grips. Mine stripped.

·
Registered
590 Posts
if you guys are all stripping the bolts, you guys are using the wrong tools.

impact gun would be best like someone already said but not everyone has one.

a johnson bar which i really cheap and easy to get your hands on, and the proper size socket. Remember the bike is japanese so the bolts will be METRIC not imperial.

·
Registered
35 Posts
YES, you remove just the bolt.

I tried craftsman allen head sockets and of course it stripped. I then used a "Craftsman damaged bolt remover". It worked like a charm. A pipe wrench will work also as you will not be re-using the old bolt.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I used a nice 6mm goodwrench with a 3/8 and it couldn't take it.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
So I have to loosen the bolt correct?
Yup ya have to remove the bolt actually... becareful though cuz theyve got it set up where its a bolt inside another bolt thing goin on... and dont worry bout the castle nut, I thought I had to remove that as well went and made a tool for it and everything and in the end it didnt need to be touched.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright I stripped the damn thing even more this time..... Am about to take a shotgun to it maybe that will loosen the dang thing up!! lol. So with the bolt stripped what's the next step?

·
Registered
299 Posts
torks bit and an impact hammer

that is what worked for me when I stripped mine out

I have no idea how they get a hex head screw made out of such soft metal so tight in the first place.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
YES!!! Finally I asked my brother if he had anything and he placed them on for me!! I shoulda asked him to begin with lol. All I need now is to tighen the fairing back down. I tried tonight but it wasn't going. Thanks for everyones help!!

Thanks

·
Registered
553 Posts
If none of the above works just get a torch and cut that section of the frame away! On a serious note I've never tried to remove that bolt but if I ever needed to then I would definately use an impact gun.

·
Registered
590 Posts
If none of the above works just get a torch and cut that section of the frame away! On a serious note I've never tried to remove that bolt but if I ever needed to then I would definately use an impact gun.
you had a good idea about the torch though, add some heat to the bolt and they usually come out like butter.

·
Registered
553 Posts
yeah, but if your not careful and you don't really know how to use the heat properly you can permanently weld the threads together. Air tools would probably be the best way to do it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
yeah, but if your not careful and you don't really know how to use the heat properly you can permanently weld the threads together. Air tools would probably be the best way to do it.
You would have to be pretty special to do that, considering the head of the bolt would start to melt before that even happened.

·
Registered
16 Posts
OMG! I had the same problem. I was scratching my head for 4 days trying to get the right side bolt out! I was literally losing sleep. Anywho, thanks to the post with the "Craftsman Damaged Bolt Remover" I got it out. I did however have to leave my bike running for about ten minutes so the bolt and frame would get hot. Snapped free and my prayers were answered. Peace ya'll, bumble-tuna!

·
Registered
124 Posts

Left Bolt

Left Bolt - Close Up

Right Bolt

Right Bolt - Close Up

I am trying to install frame sliders and I have failed to remove both top engine mounting bolts. Steps to failure thus far:

Step 1 - Impact wrench w/ 6mm hex allen socket. Stripped both bolt heads.

Step 2 - Impact wrench w/ Craftsman Impact Grade Bolt-Out bolt removal sockets. I tried all sizes that fit on or almost fit on the conical-shaped head. They all just spun making aluminum dust. None of them would bite in.

Step 3 - Drove torx head socket into hole with a few hammer taps so the little star teeth dug into the sides. With both an impact wrench and a long-handled wrench, the torx head just spun out making an almost perfectly round hole.

Step 4 - Drove a flat head scew driver bit that was just wider than the hole into the head with a hammer. Used a long-handled wrench and the bit shattered apart.

What do you all recommend I try next? Any suggestions on where I went wrong to get here? Why the f*** can't they just use a hex head bolt here? :banghead The service manual does not say to use thread lock on these bolts when reinstalling them, which suggests there was none applied at the factory. Would heating the engine up help the bolts break free? Any help would be very, very appreciated.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts