Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to what everyone's attitude toward riding is. Are you in it just to pick up chicks/doods? Have fun? Race? Get out the house?

I ride with a bunch of laid-back doods in a riding club, who are more into the social aspect, but I'm more of a student of the game. I actually study and practice riding technique, crashes, technology, etc., because I dig riding that much.

I was the same way with cars, but those bore me now. I used to have a sports car and it doesn't even come close to the visceral thrill motorcycles provide. I also just sold my tricked out/comfy literbike and bought a stripped down 600 so I could practice cornering. My friends said I was crazy, but I have no regrets.

So what are you?

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I think you will find this thread is HIGHLY leaned toward track day enthusaists/ canyon riders.

To answer you question though, I like studying and practicing anything that I do and I want to be good at it. I literally practice and work on something on every ride I take. I never just cruise around. I dont enjoy riding my bike anywhere accept backroads and mountains. It isnt fun to be in charlotte traffic, where everyone texts and drives. I am not sure if there is a study done but I have to guess charlotte is near the top in the country of rear end accidents. I see one daily. no Joke.

Anyway, I like riding with 2 or 3 people. When the weather is nice we will head out at 7am and ride all day long until it gets dark out. Many days I have put on over 400 miles in a day.

The thing I think I enjoy about riding the most is benchmarking myself and seeing the progress. When someone hasnt ridden with us for a few weeks and then we ride again and they can see a noticeable change or I can see that they are no longer leaving me in the dust that feels good.

I also absolutely LOVE having a 600. I used to want a liter bike and now I will never do that. I cant see it happening. When liter bikes come to the mountains with us and I know I have to outride an individual because the machine they are on is better than the machine I am on, that gives me a rush. I never gas the straight away because I love the cat and mouse game of the liter bike pulling away from me and me trying to slowly close the gap and the corners get tighter.

Sorry. I am all jacked up for our big ride tmrw!

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
I ride because I don't like seat belts.

And I hate de-frosting the windscreen on cold days or worry about the interior getting hot on warm ones. There!

Reactions: drbyers

·
Registered
411 Posts
I ride solo mostly and take it serious and want to learn as much as I can to become better at this sport. Fun is still included. :)

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many days I have put on over 400 miles in a day.
Damm. How many miles do you put on your bike in a year? I was averaging more than a 1,000 per month over the winter before I sold my last bike. I'm a REAL rider...but not when there's ice on the ground. lol

·
Registered
233 Posts
i think i started out as a "just to cruise and learn to ride" kind of guy... and then i learned well enough to start taking risks and to really push the bike. now i cant help but want to learn every technique and get better and better lol I've got the sickness and i like it! XD

·
Super Moderator
12,474 Posts
It isnt fun to be in charlotte traffic, where everyone texts and drives. I am not sure if there is a study done but I have to guess charlotte is near the top in the country of rear end accidents. I see one daily. no Joke.
More true words are rarely spoken...
ey3

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Hey Ey3 ivam about to text you. You join us on the Charlotte intro ride this Saturday? Leaving charlotte around 8 am. Likely back by dinner.

Sry for thread jack.

@drby,

I put on about 12000 miles last year. The thing is I will do 400 miles on any given Saturday. But that will likely be my only riding day that week. Occasionally I can get a Saturday and Sunday

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd ride everyday if I could but the schedule won't allow it. I'd commute to work too. I do my best passing practice in the mornings. Lol

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've always enjoyed action sports (surfing 20 yrs & snowboarding 24 yrs, I'm 28) as well as precision games such as billiards and golf. For me riding a sportbike gives me the thrill of surfing and snowboarding and feels very similar when leaning and changing direction quickly(but smoothly). Carving a canyon, fells like carving a wave, fells like carving a mountain. In a car you can be lazy, on a bike your an active part of the suspension and YOU are the outcome of your ride, not the bike. I love the technicality and precision of body position and cornering technique and how they affect the bike, this is a constant learning process for me. I enjoy the feeling of being in the moment and when most people would be panicking your slowing your mind down and just starting to get comfortable.

Like the great samurai, Miyamoto Musashi said, "Once you know the way broadly, you see it in all things." I've experienced what years of studying to training can do for a sport, and I want that for my riding. I ride to get better with a goal of mastery of the machine. I can't wait to start riding track days and learn first hand from the instructors.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
I see that I am alone in hoping women would notice me more if I ride... :hmmm:

·
Registered
989 Posts
Serious and commute 7 days a week rain or shine. I remember being 13 and reading everything I could get my hands on about riding a sportbike. Knowing that as soon as I turned sixteen which one id buy. It wasnt the bike I wanted but to be able to ride one the way I wanted.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Went into it for fun, realized commuting is a pain wearing full gear, moved to the serious weekend canyon carver while trying to keep my friend from being a squid. Now just wish I could afford the time off for more trackdays lol

·
Registered
194 Posts
I am casually serious. I am always wanting to get better, but I have a blast doing it. I do track days and track courses, but sometimes I like just cruising around town or commuting on my bike. Like I said casually serious.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Serious rider/enthusiast. I use my 6 to commute to work and everywhere else I go, considering it's my main form of transportation. Looking forward to my first track day! Canyon twisties have been my main squeeze out here in Vegas

1 - 20 of 26 Posts