Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to see what it's like elsewhere.

Spring/summer has started in VA; and I'm starting to see a whole lot more riders out and about. Never very many sport bikes..... the vast majority are HD or HD analogs, with a much smaller spattering of adventure bikes, then even smaller, sport bikes.

Most of the sport bikes in my immediate area (I will go so far as to say very nearly all) are running aftermarket exhausts which are ridiculously loud. Because the pitch is higher than the HD clones, it seems to carry much further than the basso tones.

At least 80% of the sport bikes in my area have stretched swing arms.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Here in the UK Northants area I see predominantly Adventure Bikes (BMW & Triumph), Then about equally sports and cruisers and the sports are mostly sporting loud cans to make our Ignorant car drivers aware of their presence.

·
Registered
711 Posts
At least 80% of the sport bikes in my area have stretched swing arms.
That's a great way to fuck up a perfectly good motorcycle, what is wrong with people? I don't think I've ever seen a stretched swingarm on the road here, they are vanishingly rare.

As for bikes in central/southern Alberta, I see mostly HD/cruiser types and ADV bikes. After that is probably standards and then sport bikes bringing up the rear. I would say most sport bikes have a slip on can, but a good chunk of them are not obnoxiously loud. Keep in mind I live and ride in a rural area and seldom go near a major city. I suspect the mix of obnoxious exhaust to reasonable ones changes if you go hang out at some of the bike spots in Calgary. There is a much higher concentration of douchebags in the cities...

Not mentioned is dirt bikes, but I see a lot of them in trucks heading to the mountains for off road fun. There is a lot of off road riding in the area and many people I know own offroad bikes but not street bikes.

Mark

·
Registered
16,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most off road stuff here in VA tends to be quads and utes. Those things are well on their way to being insane. You can drop many 10’s of thousands of dollars on side by sides now…. Not what was available when I was young so I fail to see the point.

·
Registered
11,008 Posts
Since I moved to the pacific north west, it's a stark contrast to when I lived in southern California. Obviously, soCal was pretty much 365 days of riding season and I'd say, depending on the day and exactly which town... a 50/50 mix of cruisers and sporties with the ADV and other bikes spread throughout.

I'm now in North Idaho. Mostly cruisers. probably 80%. Then its ADV bikes and even some plated motocross bikes. Small displacement sport bikes are all over the place! I rarely see a sport bike with a rider that really knows how to handle it, but there are a few canyon guys here and there. We get maybe 3 months of warm weather riding. Another 2 months of dry weather but colder riding. Then it's 6 months of snow and cold.... so I go to Mexico for the winter now and ride a $100 bicycle. :p

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Good mix here. Sport bikes when it's sunny - some regularly kill themselves on the hill road (prefer the danger of the road as opposed to the skill of the track), Harleys for the gangs, ADVs never going off-trail otherwise nakeds. Oh I forgot the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride seems to bring out all the old two-smokers and lots of hipsters wearing tweed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here in NYC there's a good mixture of everything...Sportbikes are dominant though. Followed by the wheelie popping dirt bikes and quads (also the scooters). I run an M4 slip on with the stage one baffle but I bought the stage 2 baffle for when I feel I'm being too obnoxious...but I've learned my bike isn't that loud compared to what I've been hearing on the streets lol

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
Cruisers, regardless if American branded or foriegn branded are most prevelant around the cities, but sportbikes is what I see the most of (4:1 likely) in the areas where I ride

from a work standpoint........ once upon a time I was about 80% sportbike work, now I am maybe 33.3% sportbike work, 40% cruiser work and the rest is touring, 4 stroke dirtbikes and standards- and currently a 2smoker KDX220 being turned into a street legal machine so he can license it..........uggg (rare to see any 2 smokers anymore- maybe 1 every 2 years)

and yes "every" (90% or more) sportbike tom, dick and stupid fuck has some obnoxiously loud stupid cheapo (usually chineseum garbage) exhaust on their bike and they love to make noise and piss everyone else off...... just like a bunch of stupid fucks with fart cans on their 4cylinder import shitbox car......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts