Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm lucky enough to have a canyon run right outside of city limits with great corners.

Some of my buddies think I'm crazy because I prefer to stay on the local mountain as opposed to traveling hours away to find new rides.

My logic is that I can learn and be familiar with the local mountain where I would be much less comfortable on a road I might ride once or twice a season. Doesn't that make sense?

What do you guys prefer? Sight seeing and adventure? Or treating a specific road/canyon like a track in that you learn the lines over a period of time?

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Found a few twisties a bit north off me that I will be going to regularly. Before that it was just some stupid straights and a few corners here and there. Not so fun that way lol. We don't have to much up here lol.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I just can't comprehend riding a sportbike and not caring about the science behind riding. (such as learning the lines of a run)

One of my buddies in particular that heckles me about staying on the local mountain doesn't care about form, technique ect...

·
Registered
715 Posts
I've found a couple different runs around me that I enjoy. I've thought about going out and exploring others but I feel like I want to get my original ones that are so close to me down first. Yes, every now and then I won't feel like doing one of my usual runs, but for the most part, I like to stick to them. Let's me know how I'm doing if I'm able to progress on them and not have to always wonder about every turn and what's around it, etc.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've found a couple different runs around me that I enjoy. I've thought about going out and exploring others but I feel like I want to get my original ones that are so close to me down first. Yes, every now and then I won't feel like doing one of my usual runs, but for the most part, I like to stick to them. Let's me know how I'm doing if I'm able to progress on them and not have to always wonder about every turn and what's around it, etc.
Exactly. To me, a ride isn't fun if I can't push and know what's coming.

edit: that came out weird. lol...

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I do enjoy exploring from time to time, but I'm basically in the same situation as you, I have a canyon road that begins about 2 miles from my home, and I will ride that 9 out of every 10 canyon rides that I do. I know what to expect so well by now that after the initial sighting run to make sure there's nothing in the road I can basically flow through it mindlessly. I've stopped trying to go any faster though because if something were to happen out there, I'm already going too fast to save it; I more focus on BP and learning to set my suspension and learning the feedback at this point.

Actually I believe Alex and Kali636 are out there right now (Ortega).

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
There is one road I run a lot, (hwy 104) have been for many years, I know it well & rip it like no other.
But I also love to get out & find new roads, The exploration, & discovery & then to learn a new road, Nothing beats that.
The grass is always greener on the other side. Even though I love hwy 104, I still get bored with it .

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I can only assume you guys don't have the option of going somewhere for a butty and a brew and taking the scenic route?

In the UK we (bikers generally) find a good road and make it a route to somewhere.

I can't say I've ever made a point of going more than an hour to get to the good roads; there's usually a good road to the good roads :D

Reactions: Tolzy

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
I get bored out of my skull riding the same road over and over and over again.

The "good" roads are nearly 90 miles away from me, so I have 4 different routes of decent roads to get there and 1 route (shortest and fastest) of a ticketers delight
Once down to the good roads I have about 30 routes that vary from 250 miles to over 500 miles, 16 of those routes don't overlap roads with the other routes.
So my typical twisty day of riding is well over 400 miles and quite often is more in the 500+ mile range for the days ride, with a few 750+ mile days each year

There are some routes I like more than others and some I ride only once a year or even only once every couple years while a few others I ride 2, 3 or even 4 times in a single riding season. But I really prefer to ride different roads that offer different challenges and know I have to be on my game for everything unexpected as none of the routes (a couple of the roads yes) are memorized or known so well you can just fly through them.
but I enjoy heading out of state to roads I have never or have rarely been on and setting in some good pace more than riding known roads. the extra challenge of not knowing what is coming is exhillerating (plus it keeps somewhat in check)

Of course street riding you should be observing some safety reserve and not thinking of it as your personal trackday...racetrack...etc
If you feel the need to be riding that hard, take it to the track!

I find it terribly irresponsible when I see, hear of riders on the street tlaking about how fast the can get from here to there or how they really "tore it up" or even when they say things like their lines and apex in a way of using the entire road (not just their single lane)

I find it far more rewarding to pick a single wheel track line and stick it all day long than go out and immitate track riding with WOT and as hard as you can braking and using all the road.
I have been with groups who run WOT then slam the brakes and park it through the tight stuff and I can sit at a comfortable 70 the entire time and get from point A to point B faster than they do (on anything resembling twisty stuff)
70 on the straights
70 in all the corners (until they are marked sub 25 usually)
and hold a single wheel track line 6" off the yellow line
now there is some excercise of skills
any moron can go fast in a straight line or through sweepers

If I want monotony and to hone in my skills on the exact same corner over and over and over again, that is what trackdays are for.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I struggle with spirited riding down roads I don't know. I tend to focus too much on trying to learn the road and end up not enjoying the ride. It leads to a stressful and not-at-all fun riding experience. I'm not above hitting the open road and seeing the sights, but when I do I generally go at a pace most cruisers can keep up with because pushing it any harder than that while at the same time trying to learn the lines requires a degree of mental multitasking that is just difficult for me. When I want to do any sort of riding I would legitimately call "thrilling" it's on roads I know like the back of my hand.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
People ride for different reasons, ya know? I like to mix it up between my usual twisty roads and finding the fastest way through them and taking a nice cruise somewhere with my friends or something. To me it's not always about racing up and down a road(which is what I do love to do), but sometimes it's about enjoying the ride and freedom while traveling somewhere and getting a different view than I would in a car.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Of course street riding you should be observing some safety reserve and not thinking of it as your personal trackday...racetrack...etc
If you feel the need to be riding that hard, take it to the track!

I find it terribly irresponsible when I see, hear of riders on the street tlaking about how fast the can get from here to there or how they really "tore it up" or even when they say things like their lines and apex in a way of using the entire road (not just their single lane)
Track days are too expensive for me as there aren't any close by. I did 1 last season and the return wasn't worth the cost.

I find it far more rewarding to pick a single wheel track line and stick it all day long than go out and immitate track riding with WOT and as hard as you can braking and using all the road.
I have been with groups who run WOT then slam the brakes and park it through the tight stuff and I can sit at a comfortable 70 the entire time and get from point A to point B faster than they do (on anything resembling twisty stuff)
70 on the straights
70 in all the corners (until they are marked sub 25 usually)
and hold a single wheel track line 6" off the yellow line
now there is some excercise of skills
any moron can go fast in a straight line or through sweepers

If I want monotony and to hone in my skills on the exact same corner over and over and over again, that is what trackdays are for.
I can pretty much guarantee you would not be faster on my local mountain and would probably get to the top about 5 minutes behind me if not more.

Simply because I know the run and what obstacles to look for. It isn't just about speed. Knowing the run and the corners adds an element of safety that you just can't get on an unfamiliar route. Over the past few seasons I've gotten faster while increasing my margin for error.

I'd have to say that's the next best thing to doing track days. Let's also not forget what happened to Ebster. Just because you're on a track doesn't mean you're safe.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I struggle with spirited riding down roads I don't know. I tend to focus too much on trying to learn the road and end up not enjoying the ride. It leads to a stressful and not-at-all fun riding experience. I'm not above hitting the open road and seeing the sights, but when I do I generally go at a pace most cruisers can keep up with because pushing it any harder than that while at the same time trying to learn the lines requires a degree of mental multitasking that is just difficult for me. When I want to do any sort of riding I would legitimately call "thrilling" it's on roads I know like the back of my hand.
Exactly.

edit: That's how I felt at RFR last season. Spent the whole day just trying to learn the lines and it wasn't terribly enjoyable. Maybe If I could dedicate a few days to one track it would be fun. But I just don't have that kind of cash or time.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
There's a degree of personal comfort and confidence that comes from knowing the road so well that you already know where the blind corners you can't see through open up. For me, I need that degree of personal comfort and confidence to do any sort of riding I would describe as "spirited."

Exactly.

edit: That's how I felt at RFR last season. Spent the whole day just trying to learn the lines and it wasn't terribly enjoyable. Maybe If I could dedicate a few days to one track it would be fun. But I just don't have that kind of cash or time.
I'm fortunate in that I have two tracks within two hours of me (one only 45 minutes away) that regularly hosts track days for about 150 a pop. Most fun I've ever had on two wheels.

Also, I didn't like the idea of having to travel over an hour outside of the city to get to "fun" riding roads, so I sold the ZX6R and bought my current bike, which makes city riding a total blast.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There's a degree of personal comfort and confidence that comes from knowing the road so well that you already know where the blind corners you can't see through open up. For me, I need that degree of personal comfort and confidence to do any sort of riding I would describe as "spirited."
Same here. I remember riding with a guy 2 seasons ago, when I first got my 636 that blew my doors off on our mountain. It literally scared me how fast he was going. It was humbling and confusing at the same time.

FF to last season and that same guy couldn't keep up with me. So there is a lot to be said for knowing the route like the back of your hand.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm fortunate in that I have two tracks within two hours of me (one only 45 minutes away) that regularly hosts track days for about 150 a pop. Most fun I've ever had on two wheels.

Also, I didn't like the idea of having to travel over an hour outside of the city to get to "fun" riding roads, so I sold the ZX6R and bought my current bike, which makes city riding a total blast.
I wish I had a track that close. I would probably stop canyon riding. Maybe get a naked bike for commuting.

But for now I'll just continue to deal with the sand and cyclists.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I wish I had a track that close. I would probably stop canyon riding. Maybe get a naked bike for commuting.

But for now I'll just continue to deal with the sand and cyclists.
Going back to a torquey naked bike from a supersport was the best thing I could have done to make day to day riding enjoyable. No more having to go out of my way to find places to have fun. Thrills abound commuting to and from work. The triple engine has a lot to do with that, though.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
I'm lucky enough to have a canyon run right outside of city limits with great corners.

Some of my buddies think I'm crazy because I prefer to stay on the local mountain as opposed to traveling hours away to find new rides.

My logic is that I can learn and be familiar with the local mountain where I would be much less comfortable on a road I might ride once or twice a season. Doesn't that make sense?

What do you guys prefer? Sight seeing and adventure? Or treating a specific road/canyon like a track in that you learn the lines over a period of time?
I've ridden the same 200 mile loop 5 out of the past 6 weeks I think and I'm riding it again this Saturday. I very much prefer to be on a familiar road where I can push a bit but safely.

Plus honestly I doubt there are that many roads in Az (or elsewhere for that matter) that are a ton better than what you get between Yarnell and Prescott on 89A. My riding group rates it a 4 out of 5 difficulty with tons of tight corners and elevation changes and it goes on for almost 20 miles.

I just wish it didn't take an hour to get there.

1 - 20 of 191 Posts