Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

Retrofit: finally did it!

5K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  limpo636 
#1 ·
So before anyone says anything, yes I know that the front cowling is cracked and I am in the process of getting a new one once I find one that is the right price and black.

Besides that...

I am completely in love with this retrofit and was totally worth every bit of it. I was very nervous to do this because of the whole oven thing and wiring...but let me tell you, it was very easy.

I ordered this retrofit with 6k lights: Bi-xenon: Sportbike Stage II Kit - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

So if anyone is thinking about doing this here are the steps I used:

1. Remove the front cowling

2. Unscrew the headlights

3. Unplug all wiring from the headlight. There was a plug in between the two lights that just pops out and holds the two wires to the bulbs themselves and pulls out easily.

4. Clean off the headlight of dust and anything else. Also take out the bulbs.

5. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees fahrenheit. Pop in the headlights on some sort of pan for 7 minutes and TURN THE OVEN OFF.

6. Pull out the headlights and pop off the tabs with a flathead and try to loosen up the edges of the headlight.

7. Preheat the oven to 370 degrees fahrenheit and when it beeps, pop in the lights for 5 minutes.

8. After it beeps, take it out and the glue should be soft enough that you can literally pull the light housing apart (if not just take the flathead and pry apart until you can pull it.

NOTE: take your time doing this or else you might break the plastic. if you have to put it back in the oven, it is okay.

9: Now this was optional but I painted the reflective headlight back, black, along with the shrouds.

NOTE: if you want to speed up the drying process of the reflective back and shrouds, I just popped them into the over at 200 degrees fahrenheit and sped up the drying. just keep an eye on it.

10. After everything is dry enough, screw together the projectors into the shrouds. take the red and black wire from the projector and stick it through the hole that is next to where you will stick the back of the projector (confusing I know but I'll put a link to a video that explains it better.)

11. From here, you basically screw the back of the projector in and install the bulb.

12. Clean everything off leaving no smears or finger grease anywhere.

13. Another optional step but definitely helped me: I purchased glue to help with the reseal. After you have completed everything and it is ready to stick back in the oven, I took the glue I got and shoved it in between the space that was made when I pulled apart the casing.

14. Preheat the oven for the last time to 370 degrees fahrenheit and stick the headlight SEPARATED FROM EACH OTHER -super important for 7 minutes. After it beeps, take it out and simply put the casing back together.

15. Wiring. All though it wasn't the easiest, as a 20 year old kid I was able to figure it out so you should be able to also. There also is a somewhat descriptive diagram that the website shows you,

found here:
Wire Harnesses: H7/H11 Dual Cycle Harness Guide - DIY Installation Guides

once everything is plugged in correctly, (keep in mind that if it doesn't turn on when you start the bike, it could possibly be because one of the wires is switched) then start the bike and enjoy.

This is the video that I went off of for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3p5jedQcjg

I realize that the website that the video sells their retrofit stuff from is different than the link I used, but it is the EXACT same stuff.

Like I said before, definitely worth it and is by faaaaarrrrrrr theeeeeee best mod I have done to my bike and I am so happy with the results.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nicely done. I've been wanting to do this for a long time now but have had other things with higher priority come along instead so haven't really gotten a chance to pull the trigger on them. However, when I finally do, I will probably refer back to this for a little help. Thanks for the write up

#5 ·
Looks great. We need a shot of them in action pointing at a wall to see that sexy cutoff and color!!

ALso, which wire harness did you select on their website? Options for h11, h7, and h4.

#13 ·
Definitely go on tech support of the website and chat with them or call them because they can really help you. My guess is that you replace the halos with there you would plug in the low beams to and wire up just the high beams. I'm sure you can do it!

#12 ·
I'll do it sometime tomorrow. It's raining here. They are pretty much just shoved in between the cowling. The ballasts are mounted on top of the headlights. Everything fits but very tight. You just have to make sure that nothing gets in the way of your forks. I'll upload that picture tomorrow though!

#14 ·
Awesome upgrade! That's a mod I always recommend people do to their bikes. People shouldn't just get an HID kit, go with a retrofit projector! Plus, it gives you the opportunity to style your bike with projectors and even halos/angel eyes

#16 · (Edited)
Depends on the size of the headlight housing as in the year of your bike. I'd have to look at it, but generally, you would need the mini projectors. I used the Morimoto Mini H1 6.0 projectors for my 2014 and it came with projectors from the factory. You might be able to use 3" projectors, but they would have to be of high quality, therefor not be bulky and you wouldn't be able to use shrouds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.