Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So this weekend I headed down to Santa Barbra from San Jose, California. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=san+jose,ca&daddr=Santa+Barbara,+CA,+USA&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=54.401733,109.775391&ie=UTF8&z=8&om=1

It was a good 300 mile weekend excursion. I took the 04 636 for its first ride (literally bought the insurance that morning). I had done careful checks over the bike having just bought it last week (chain, fluids, cleaned etc), but I didn't take notice in the manual as to how many miles I have to find a gas station after the gas light turns on.

Anyone have a good idea? I managed to squeak in ~30 miles to find the next gas station, driving like a nun though.

Also, I managed to get ~40mpg driving an average of 90mph although I was as aerodynamic as a brick... 2 people on with camping backpacks (and a top speed of 140mph until my ribs turned blue :rant ... the gf didn't like that too much)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I did about 130+ miles Saturday before the fuel light started blinking, and that's about a gallon left.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I never use the reserve option. I just set the knob at on. However, I do know that a full tank has a range of about 150m. So whenever I fill up, I zero the trip meter. That way, I know exactly how far I can go before I run out of gas. Just remember to check the trip meter before you set off! Actually, I set the meter to trip and leave it on all the time.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
yeah just make sure you keep on eye on your trip meter

the light goes on when there is .9 gallons in the fuel tank (according to my manual.. 07 zx6r). should get you about 30 miles. i wouldnt push it though

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have done 35kms with the light on and still had about 2 to 3 ltrs left of gas in the tank. I dont like to push it too much more. Its really bad for the motor and especually the fuel pump if you start starving it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I never use the reserve option. I just set the knob at on. However, I do know that a full tank has a range of about 150m. So whenever I fill up, I zero the trip meter. That way, I know exactly how far I can go before I run out of gas. Just remember to check the trip meter before you set off! Actually, I set the meter to trip and leave it on all the time.

How do you turn the reserve knob on/off? Is that in the manual>? I've been wondering about that.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
i get 275 klm before i turn to reserve on my 1998 zx6r

·
Registered
503 Posts
only been brave enough to go 20 miles with fuel light on. Soon as it comes i start looking to refuel!

·
butiwasgoingtotashistatio ntopickupsumpowerconvrtr
2,762 Posts
my tank is supposed to hold ~4.5 gallons i think. i ran my bike until i had to switch to reserve and filled up...and it only took about 3 gallons...leaving like 1.5 gallons in reserve..?

seemed kinda wierd to me

·
Registered
109 Posts
No way I'm gonna test it unless I do circles in the service station! haha. Light comes on = I go get gas!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Me too.......about 30 miles after the light.

The best I've done (all highway 70-80mph) was 134 miles when the light came on.

Like others I always get gas when the light comes on, and if riding with others I always "Top Off" whenever someone else stops for gas.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I got to almost 140 last fill. Not sure why though! Usually at 120 I'm blinking. I have a Two Bros and PC3/Custom Map

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had to come down Mt. Rainier with the light on. close to 40 miles to the nearest town, and didn't quite make it. Probably doesn't help you much.

My old '96 didn't go very far on reserve at all, 15-20 min max on the highway, if I remember right.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Just got my J1 model two weeks ago and have been trying to work out distances to fill up, as a matter of course if I get past 110miles I fill up, getting about 50mpg, so I reckon I should really start looking to fill up around 140miles. Whats everyone elses average consumption like?

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I get between 120-140 miles and then I have to fill her up. If I have to do over 10 miles after the light turns on I freak out.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts