Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooooo ...where can I find these guys? Lol and do they make a stronger steering stem clamp...thingy? They simply cut right through it smh and punched the ignition out effortlessly.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Isn't your insurance covering it? Just take it to dealer or a good mechanic and get all OEM replacement. I don't think anybody makes anything stronger than stock.

They did the same to my friends bike, she has a 14 as well. Her bike might get totaled though cause it looks like they threw it into a pickup truck on its side. Damaged all the fairings and scratched the Swingarm and some of the frame.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
The sad truth is that if someone wants to steal a bike, there is nothing you can do to prevent it short of using extreme measures. Our bikes weigh 400lbs which means 2 grown men can easily lift one into the back of a truck.

If anything, invest in a locator system and do what you can to keep your bike out of probable theft areas.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dammit...well. I saw someone talk about a pet locator as a cheap life hack for tracking on here lmao (google) ...but yea I suppose so. Hmm...what's the politically correct name for the black hard plastic they hacked away to get to the ignition switch?

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Is there no way to strengthen that area ? They cut right through it
You could drop some stupid cheddar and have a custom one mmachined out of a block of steel. Other than that, a GPS tracker is about the most sensible solution aside from not parking your bike in an area where it is susceptible to theft.

·
Registered
171 Posts
A stainless steel or titanium upper would be interesting. Titanium is a pain to work with and stainless work hardens. Basically the longer you try to cut it the harder it gets until it just looks at you and laughs, then breaks your tool. The price you would pay for such a part would make your deductible seem trivial though. The look on the thief's face when he tried the ignition-otomy would be priceless.

I'd go PainfullySlo's rout with an anchor and a big dog/lion/dinosaur, you know something scary.

·
Registered
13,120 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A stainless steel or titanium upper would be interesting. Titanium is a pain to work with and stainless work hardens. Basically the longer you try to cut it the harder it gets until it just looks at you and laughs, then breaks your tool. The price you would pay for such a part would make your deductible seem trivial though. The look on the thief's face when he tried the ignition-otomy would be priceless.

I'd go PainfullySlo's rout with an anchor and a big dog/lion/dinosaur, you know something scary.
Lol it would be priceless hahah but yeah. Dammit. Ah well gotta stick with aluminum.

·
Registered
161 Posts

I doubt the thief would think to keep it cool.. But if they did.. It wouldn't be too tough to get through.

But since you mentioned that.. Machine a piece out of something like 4140.. Then grab a torch and some quenching oil.. Case harden it, throw some primer and paint on it.. Would be damn near impossible to wreck without using an abrasive such as a grinding wheel.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Damm that looks horrible I bet it sucks Not being able to ride anywhere without leaving your bike alone for a second until you get that fixed. Hit me up if you need a garage to park her until you can get her fixed You can park her next to mine and we can cover her up in a Locked garage & Parked car in front of garage,they would have to steal my van first before they take anything lol.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm a machinist, I can tell you right now it's not worth it, they're gonna charge you a lot for a custom piece like that and then getting it heat treated and then tempered would be more, if you just hear treat it, it would be pretty brittle I suppose. Just pick one up from ebay off a wrecked bike or something. They sell GPS trackers for like $50 or even free but the monthly on it is expensive.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Sooooo ...where can I find these guys? Lol and do they make a stronger steering stem clamp...thingy? They simply cut right through it smh and punched the ignition out effortlessly.
:shocked: that is some serious S#!$

OP....I'm guessing you need a new ignition setup with a new triple tree....should run you about $550 ish in parts....

Ignition Switch Assembly $310.94
2014 Kawasaki NINJA ZX-6R (ZX636EEF) Ignition Switch/Locks/Reflectors | Cheap Cycle Parts

Triple Tree $245.85
2014 Kawasaki NINJA ZX-6R (ZX636EEF) Front Fork | Cheap Cycle Parts

Oh...btw....word of advice..do NOT buy the cheap ignition assemblies of ebay that are made in China....most/all of them can be missing resistors inside and will drive you crazy when your bike turns over with no spark. Trust me...go OEM on this part
Good luck! crazy pic...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You guys are amazing thank you guys so much for the support!!! Seriously! Yeah I'll have to look into other precautionary steps at this point altogether. It just sucks that it happened but so blessed I recovered it. I'll stick with OEM for sanity (thx for posting where to grab those items BTW biiiig help!!!) Lol and the garage would keep it real safe for now

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wait I Dont have o replace the whole ignition right? I just need the cylinder unit assembly that screws into the base of the ignition for turning everything on...?

·
Registered
4,415 Posts

At a minimum you will need 27005 which is the new ignition cylinder and two 92154A, the bolts that will hold it to the triple. This will leave you with a separate key for the ignition from the rest of the bike and costs $137.05 at BikeBandit.

Ideally you will want a lock set, #27048 which (I think) contains all three cylinders for ignition, seat, and gas tank which is $310.94 at Bike Bandit which would allow you to have matching keys.

If you decide to go that route, I have a set I would now be willing to sell you for $150 which would also include the entire gas cap, not just the cylinder. The ignition cylinder has 300 miles on it, the seat lock and gas cap have zero.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts