Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 zx6r with 33,000 miles that I plan on selling that's been sitting for about two years, and I'm getting it ready before I sell it. When cleaning one of the front calipers, I noticed a little leak (see first picture). I did let the caliper hang a little, but when I pull back over the black (for lack of better terms) cover thing and put caliper back on roter, I don't notice any of the tiny wetness. I don't notice any other leak from the front brake lines or calipers or resevoir, but I plan to replace brake fluid of course. Even if I replace brake fluid, should I replace brake lines too? Could old brake fluid cause it to leak? Am I overreacting to this little leak? I think new front brake lines of the D.O.T. brand would be at least $55 D.O.T. Front Brake Line Kits. The user manual says to replace brake lines every 4 years, but since I'm selling it, maybe the new buyer would like nicer brake lines or something.

brake_line.jpg

Something else I should note that when I press front brake, all but one of the pistons of the piston would retract. Is that just simply a sign of old brake fluid? What could it mean possibly?

Another place where I noticed some wetness is on the rear brake caliper on the rubber bridge thingy (see second picture). What does that mean? What should I do?

rearbrake_line.jpg
If you need any more info, please let me know. Any help, tips, and advice would be appreciated. Any help, tips, and advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you have a leak you should feel it in the brake lever, by losing pressure over time when holding the lever in. Are you sure it is a leak and not just sun bleached rubber around that spot?
A leak in the brake circuit needs to be addressed or it can be a death trap. The hanging pistons, if it is in the front is not good, and should be addressed as well, that includes at least a service of the brakes possibly rebuilding of the calipers. Hanging brake pistons is a sign of rust or otherwise stuck pistons, probably needs some new brake pistons because of pitting.
You can ofc sell it as is, but you need to tell the buyer that the brakes need servicing, including buying new lines. Brakes are a critical component and needs to be okay.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts