Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was told if i rev my bike off the limiter for a couple of minutes the limiter will wear down or break off and il be able to rev higher.he said these engines are really strong and made for it so it wont damage anything.is it true?how many more rpm will i gain?

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Why would you want to? The rev limiter is there for a reason.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
prob blow it after a couple on min.. shoot a rod out the block or something

·
Registered
88 Posts
Rev limiters on modern engines are settings within the engine management programming and are controlled by the ECU, not by a mechanical means.......if you were to change the rev limit settings you would certainly cause catastrophic engine damage - otherwise why would the manufacturers set them in the first place.

Rev limits are calculated according to several factors, including the mass of the pistons, weight of the con rods and stroke of the pistons within the cyclinders, unless you are planning to take a degree course in mechanical analysis I would be inclined to take Kawasaki's word for it!!!

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
i wouldn't mess with any revlimiter in my book, might thru a rod or crack a block, but if u do want to up the limiter get your self a race ecu and u can set the rev limiter to any likeings u like

·
butiwasgoingtotashistatio ntopickupsumpowerconvrtr
2,762 Posts
geez...tell whoever told you that they are an asshat. 15k rpms is turnin dude...definately don't remove the limiter. it is not a restriction. it saves the motor. it's to keep riders from overwinding the it and ruining an engine because of failure to shift etc...very bad idea.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Indeed, the rev limiter is there for a very good reason!! The engine's limit is determined from the max. piston speed and everything is designed around that. If I remember correctly, max design piston speed is in the order of 21-22 meters/sec. if you convert that into km/hr or mph, it doesn't seem like very high speed, but remeber, the conrods and the crankshaft must stop the momentum of the piston and accelerate it again 533 times per sec @ 16000rpm, and those forces are huge!! Streching that limit will definately cause fatique on the conrods and crankshaft with catastrophic results.

If you want to up the rev range, you have to go to lighter pistons, stronger conrods and crank as well as another camshaft, as, like said above, you are past your max. power curve pointand will not gain anything.

Ducati had serious problem getting their new 1200 engine to produce more power than the 1098 because they were going well over the max.piston speeds and are seriously limited in the revs on that machine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok well i just want to go faster and ive done just about everything i can think of but my buddys gixxer 750 still leaves me.dont want a bigger bike.anyone know where i can get a turbo or nitrous kit thats easy to install and wont blow my bike up

·
butiwasgoingtotashistatio ntopickupsumpowerconvrtr
2,762 Posts
ok well i just want to go faster and ive done just about everything i can think of but my buddys gixxer 750 still leaves me.dont want a bigger bike.anyone know where i can get a turbo or nitrous kit thats easy to install and wont blow my bike up
if u just want to go faster, "you're gonna need a bigger boat-" -err-bike.

heavily modified shit <<<<< stock shit, as far as reliability is concerned. a turbo/nitrous is heavily modifying some stuff.

if you want a project, to show off your fancy new turbo, or something very unique, go for it. if you want "to go faster" in a straight line sell this bike and buy a bigger one. if you want to be faster, sign up for a trackday.

finally, who gives a rats ass if your buddy is "faster" than you on his sevenfiddy

·
Registered
1,927 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Your buddy is still riding a gixxer even if he beats you. Which makes him a tool. :lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Actually the rev limits of a stock ECU can be changed.

i was told if i rev my bike off the limiter for a couple of minutes the limiter will wear down or break off and il be able to rev higher.he said these engines are really strong and made for it so it wont damage anything.is it true?how many more rpm will i gain?
Whoever told you that is an idiot. The rev limit is electronic and controlled by the Engine Control Unit (ECU)

BTW You don't need a Race Kit ECU to change the RPM limit. It looks like the stock ECU can be reflashed and programmed with a higher limit. I actually just found the limits in the software for an 03/04 ZX-6 tonight. Someone I know is going to dyno test the mod this week.

ECU Hacking site

·
Super Moderator
13,263 Posts
Wow sorry to bump an old thread. I was googling something else and ran across this and was like wtf?????!?!?!?!?

Ey3

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Make sure to hook up a gopro and post the resulting video so we can all laugh and point fingers.

damn it---caught with these old thread revivals again

Reactions: Ey3l45h

·
Super Moderator
13,263 Posts
Thread revival!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts