Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi---going to remove the emissions crap from a '16 zx6r and am curious to know if I need to jump the harness or if I can just leave it unplugged. Did some searching and found this thread on the '09 but didnt see much about the 13+.

Thanks in advance!

-E

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
Hi---going to remove the emissions crap from a '16 zx6r and am curious to know if I need to jump the harness or if I can just leave it unplugged. Did some searching and found this thread on the '09 but didnt see much about the 13+.

Thanks in advance!

-E
3 options.

1) leave the connections plugged in

2) remove and jump the connections. I used a resistor at first

3) ECU flash (what I did) https://store.schnitzracing.com/schnitz-ecu-reflash-kawasaki-zx6r-13-15/

·
Registered
567 Posts
+1 on Schnitz ECU flash.

The only thing that kind of pissed me off, is the guys that actually do the flash don't accept phone calls for technical questions. You have to email them if you have a question.

I know I know...shouldn't really matter, but still kind of pisses me off lol

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
+1 on Schnitz ECU flash.

The only thing that kind of pissed me off, is the guys that actually do the flash don't accept phone calls for technical questions. You have to email them if you have a question.

I know I know...shouldn't really matter, but still kind of pisses me off lol
That's weird. Probably a new policy. I spoke to them on the phone when I did mine and they didn't even have the EVAP, exhaust servo and PAIR options available at that time but they did it for me.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
That's weird. Probably a new policy. I spoke to them on the phone when I did mine and they didn't even have the EVAP, exhaust servo and PAIR options available at that time but they did it for me.

I can testify with absolute certainty, that for +$10.00 each, Schnitz will disable the EVSM & PAIR. So, for $95.00 total they will do the whole enchilada for your CPU. Plus add another 500 rpm at the top, etc.

This is a great time to order up some PAIR block-off plates and clean the whole nasty thing up... just a thought.

Pic.1) Ivan's block-off plates
Pic. 2) my CPU returned to me vasty improved from O.E.M. Best $100.00 you'll spend on your Ninja.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
I too did the $100 Schnitz flash. I did have an issue where the flash did not complete the first time and the bike would not start. Sent them an email and they took care of it no problem. I will be throwing the bike on the dyno this Friday to see what she can do.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3 options.

1) leave the connections plugged in

2) remove and jump the connections. I used a resistor at first

3) ECU flash (what I did) https://store.schnitzracing.com/schnitz-ecu-reflash-kawasaki-zx6r-13-15/
1) Can I do this and still remove the heavy ass unit in the fairings? (Switching to track fairings)

2) What does the sensor actually measure? and what is getting sent back to the ECU? Just that its plugged in? kind of like the kickstand wiring? or is it measuring a voltage?

3) Does the ECU flash void the warranty (I have 250 mi on the bike so i havent had the ability to beat it up quite yet so ideally would like the warranty in case something happens under stress)

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
1) Can I do this and still remove the heavy ass unit in the fairings? (Switching to track fairings)

2) What does the sensor actually measure? and what is getting sent back to the ECU? Just that its plugged in? kind of like the kickstand wiring? or is it measuring a voltage?

3) Does the ECU flash void the warranty (I have 250 mi on the bike so i havent had the ability to beat it up quite yet so ideally would like the warranty in case something happens under stress)

1) yes

2) not a sensor, just activates the servo motor.

3) It might void the warranty but I did it within that time anyway. If you ever need it serviced for warranty issues you can have them flash it back to OEM settings.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts

Besides jestisoning the horrid shite on the R upper fairing, you could do the same for the poxy cabling shite under the saddle. It was a better place to located my PC V. Why better? The tail can rapidly become quite vulnerable, if your Zed should become airborne. Also, vastly easier to make any adjustments to it.

Photo 1) DJ PC V, and my Centech fuse block, & my ServoBuddy fit nicely under the saddle.

Photo 2) Skutrnet ServoBuddy (small thin black object about the size of a stick of chewing gum, with green, red, & yellow wires leading right of unit - next to positive lead.)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Besides jestisoning the horrid shite on the R upper fairing, you could do the same for the poxy cabling shite under the saddle. It was a better place to located my PC V. Why better? The tail can rapidly become quite vulnerable, if your Zed should become airborne. Also, vastly easier to make any adjustments to it.

Photo 1) DJ PC V, and my Centech fuse block, & my ServoBuddy fit nicely under the saddle.

Photo 2) Skutrnet ServoBuddy (small thin black object about the size of a stick of chewing gum, with green, red, & yellow wires leading right of unit - next to positive lead.)
We are talking about the Cali model emissions (charcoal canister and associated valves and wiring) not the servo under the seat.

But good suggestion. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
592 Posts

Thanks in advance!

-E
Hey that's my write up from kawiforums! haha. Idk how much is different on the 2013+ models but yeah I was thrilled to get rid of that emissions junk. It sounds like an ECU flash is worth it, but I do believe the Ivan's block off plates actually come with a jumper for the Pair valve and you would be set for now. Maybe ZedEx can confirm that though.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Hey that's my write up from kawiforums! haha. Idk how much is different on the 2013+ models but yeah I was thrilled to get rid of that emissions junk. It sounds like an ECU flash is worth it, but I do believe the Ivan's block off plates actually come with a jumper for the Pair valve and you would be set for now. Maybe ZedEx can confirm that though.

Aye, it does - good catch, MotoCT.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
We are talking about the Cali model emissions (charcoal canister and associated valves and wiring) not the servo under the seat.

But good suggestion. :bigthumb:

I realise that. My point is if one has the front half, maybe two-thirds exposed, than why not remove the crap from the right side cowling? Why not remove the EVSM? Why not install the block-off plates? All at once, since they are associated components that one will probably address. Oh yeah, just maybe might be a great time to send the CPU to Schnitz Racing for a reflash. (I actually waited [for no sane reason] three months to do the CPU thing). Spend less time wrenching and more time riding - it's not a poxy H-D :smilie:.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts