Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The big chunk of below is not the question (Its at the end) it is more of a back story to show how I got at my question. Its a 2011 ZX6R

I recently had a charging issue. I thought it was a dead battery so I brought a new one, 2 days later it did the dead battery symptoms again so I checked the reg/rec I figured from the testing it was bad and brought another.

Then 2 days later I was riding home from work and noticed I had no guages etc. I pulled up and couldn't restart the bike, doing the click click sound like if your battery is dead.

I brought a new stator (figuring there wasn't anything left) and on removal of the old one found that a group of windings was burnt out.

I put everything back together and put a good charged battery back in the bike, started it up put the multimeter on the + and - terminals and it was reading 11 something DC volts. I checked the stator volts and they rise to 70 ish AC volts at 5000 rpm across all 3 wires. I thought cool the new stator isn't a dud. I also check continuaty that passed as well.

I thought maybe the new reg/rec is a dud and plugged the old one in. It produced the same low DC voltage. I thought I wonder if its bad wiring, so I left the stator side plugged into the reg/rec and unplugged the side that goes to the battery, started the bike and checked the DC volts at the rec/reg pins and the old reg/rec was putting out 9 DC volts. I removed the old reg/rec and plugged the new one back in, but only to the stator input and started the bike and the DC volts at the pins is 19.

I thought sweet and plugged the other plug back into it (the one that goes to the battery) started the bike and it put out 11 ish DC volts across the rev range again.

The question is, can I safely assume there is a wiring issue somewhere. It does seem odd that they both put out 11ish DC volts when all connected but they both put out much different DC volts when the battery side is not connected

·
Registered
998 Posts
Not sure if your year is the same as my 05 but 70 is way high. The manual should tell you what it needs to be. Mine has to be 42 ac anything higher and it says the rectifier is bad. Lower and it is the stator. This is with testing that three prong plug under the tank

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure if your year is the same as my 05 but 70 is way high. The manual should tell you what it needs to be. Mine has to be 42 ac anything higher and it says the rectifier is bad. Lower and it is the stator. This is with testing that three prong plug under the tank
The manual says it has to be 54V or more at 4000 rpm

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
The manual says it has to be 54V or more at 4000 rpm
I think you are correct, your alternator is now putting out a good voltage. 70 on each phase is good.

I would have to think you have a wiring problem, especially as you have already found melted wiring around the stator.

I'd suggest you pull all of the fuses from the fuse block, and check what the voltage is at the battery with the bike off, and then with the bike running.

If you can get it down to the alternator>reg/rec>/battery, and you see 14.4 VDC at the battery with the bike above idle, I'd say you have a chance of localizing where the issue is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well its turned out to be an expensive exercise. The rotor by the looks of it is rooted (going by the metallic black bits in the stator cover). Its also cut through the wiring for the stator and some of the windings.

I am up for a stator, rotor and just for good measure a new reg/rec (gonna get a FH0020 kit)

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Good job figurijg it out! Mine is having the same issues and at the dealer now getting a stator and reg replaced under warranty. These bikes should not be needing the charging systems replaced so early.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The big chunk of below is not the question (Its at the end) it is more of a back story to show how I got at my question. Its a 2011 ZX6R

I thought maybe the new reg/rec is a dud and plugged the old one in. It produced the same low DC voltage. I thought I wonder if its bad wiring, so I left the stator side plugged into the reg/rec and unplugged the side that goes to the battery, started the bike and checked the DC volts at the rec/reg pins and the old reg/rec was putting out 9 DC volts. I removed the old reg/rec and plugged the new one back in, but only to the stator input and started the bike and the DC volts at the pins is 19.

I thought sweet and plugged the other plug back into it (the one that goes to the battery) started the bike and it put out 11 ish DC volts across the rev range again.

The question is, can I safely assume there is a wiring issue somewhere. It does seem odd that they both put out 11ish DC volts when all connected but they both put out much different DC volts when the battery side is not connected
I'm glad you found your issue..but what I don't understand is a regulator putting out 19v before going to the battery. I would have thought a max of 15v so you don't cook your battery. Maybe someone who knows more can chime in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts