Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about putting a gps on my bike since I ride around places that I am unfamiliar with and don't want to pull over to look up a map on my phone every time I get lost exploring. Buddy of mine says you'll need a deep cycle battery, is this correct? Anyone have any pros/cons for regular batteries vs deep cycle? I also have an alarm installed and read that it can be draining on your battery?

·
Registered
739 Posts
i personally don't think you need one. if the bike is running than the battery shouldn't be doing much of anything. also as long as you don't sit with the bike off and all the electric stuff running for more than say 5-10 min you'll be fine. i'd be more worried about the alternator/generator wearing out. The alarm does drain the system but if you ride at least once a month a normal battery shouldn't drain. at least my battery didn't.

The difference is that starting battery is made for high draw low duration then a fast charge/recovery and can be found in gel and agm form online around $65, deep cycle low-medium draw over longer period of time and slow (trickle) charging and expect to pay 2-3 times the cost.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Deep cycle battery are designed more toward being able to be ran to the point of being dead and then recharging. They are usually used in equipment that is ran while not being charged for example an electric boat motor. Its hard on normal batteries everytime they are ran dead. That being said you need to determine if your charging system will keep up not nessesarily what type of battery you have. To check this you will need to check your charging system output using an industive lead around your battery cable while your bike is running. The you need to see what your amp draw is with your high beam and all accessories on and subtract that from your charging output, see how much amperage the GPS draws and wallah you will know if your system can handle it. Or just do like most people and plug it in and ride for a while and see if your bike still starts! I think a deep cycle may have a little more power with a low battery but this would just be a bandaid that you would later regret.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Correction to above you must put the inductive lead on the regulator to battery wire, not the battery cable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great, thanks! I work with an electrician so I'm sure he'll know what you're talking about to see if my bike can handle it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts