Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Whatever mfg of chain you get make sure its the right size 520 or 530.... I believe they came stock with a 530. I have went to a 520 on my track bike and had no issues with it...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have a thread for my 05 zx6r that might help with some questions. there have been a few strange problems that I have come across that I may be able to help with. I will follow this thread closely to see if I can help.

Here is my thread:

https://www.zx6r.com/zx6r/104122-help-zx6r-build.html

Welcome to the forum!
hope all goes well!
Thank you! I am actually picking up the bike at this moment! No key though, which really disappoints me

·
Registered
12,481 Posts
Yes, I have the title but haven’t switched it to my name yet. Just picked up the bike last night
You can reduce the cost of getting the key cut, if you can provide the lock smith the numbers off the end of the lock barrel. the seat and ignition should be keyed the same, so which ever one is easier to remove, you can get the number from.

alternatively, a Kawasaki dealer should be able to cut you that key; they will almost certainly need the code as well. Kawasaki's computer system may have that number on file -- better to have the number on file.

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
Depending on what a locksmith will charge you.............

You may be better off to simply buy a brand new complete lockset from Kawasaki.......... about $180
ignition, tank, seat locks all included

That fuel tank looks horrendous........... is it rusty inside too? you will need to clean that out well, or you will continue to have issues

I really hope you paid next to nothing for this bike, like.........well under 1k, as that is all it looks like it would be worth considering the state of disrepair and neglect

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Depending on what a locksmith will charge you.............

You may be better off to simply buy a brand new complete lockset from Kawasaki.......... about $180
ignition, tank, seat locks all included

That fuel tank looks horrendous........... is it rusty inside too? you will need to clean that out well, or you will continue to have issues

I really hope you paid next to nothing for this bike, like.........well under 1k, as that is all it looks like it would be worth considering the state of disrepair and neglect
I got a quote of $35 to $50 if I take the ignition to the locksmith. I can live with that. There is rust in the tank but it’s nothing I can’t take care of. I am going to clean it out, run the electrolysis process, and coat the inside with POR15. I have successfully restored tanks in the past using this procedure and this tank doesn’t look as bad as the others.

I got this bike for next to nothing! Paid $100 to rent a trailer and truck to pick it up. Bought a replacement fuel pump, throttle body setup with injectors, rearsets, and few few other bits. So far I’m in $450 total. My plan is to spend no more than $1000 total

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
I got a quote of $35 to $50 if I take the ignition to the locksmith. I can live with that. There is rust in the tank but it’s nothing I can’t take care of. I am going to clean it out, run the electrolysis process, and coat the inside with POR15. I have successfully restored tanks in the past using this procedure and this tank doesn’t look as bad as the others.

I got this bike for next to nothing! Paid $100 to rent a trailer and truck to pick it up. Bought a replacement fuel pump, throttle body setup with injectors, rearsets, and few few other bits. So far I’m in $450 total. My plan is to spend no more than $1000 total
in that case, you got your monies worth......... lol

good luck on the rehab- it sure appears to need plenty

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
likely easiest to simply remove the top triple clamp with it attached.........

otherwise security screws are installed and you will need to drill them out- which will require top triple removal anyways.......

unplug it from the connector!

21 - 40 of 77 Posts