Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys and gals I am doing a whole bunch of stuff to my 2013 636. List is at the bottom of this post. I bought it used and I want to give it a thorough advanced tune up/maintenance before next year. Along with all the fluid flushes I was going to do the following:

Clean fuel pump
Clean fuel injectors
Check clutch basket
Clean Brake Calipers
Clean air filter
Valve adjustment/throttle body sync
Steering stem and bearings
Rear suspension linkage and bearings
Clean chasis
Clean swing arm linkage and bearings
Clean wheel bearings
Replace spark plugs
Front fork and shock rebuild with racetech springs

Is there anything else I can or should do? Or tips you guys can offer up on what I plan on doing already? Mainly looking for things I can do while the tank and airbox are off. The bike has about 28 000km. I have attached a couple of photos so you guys can see what I have access to. I plan on syncing the throttle bodies once I have completed all the mods thats why its not part of the list.

New stuff going on the bike are as follows:

Left side OEM clip on old one is stripped out where the bar end goes
Replacing stator cover old one is scratched
New OEM 2018 fairings (got a wicked deal and my 2013's are scratched)
New EBC pads and rotors
Vortex chain
Vortex front and rear sprockets
Captive spacers from captivespacers.com
Lightech chain adjusters
Core moto steel braided brake lines
Driven Halo front and rear brake reservoirs
Vortex 3.0 shorty levers
Driven D3 grips
G2 street competition quick turn throttle
Full graves titanium exhaust headers with two bros slip on (2 bros came with bike)
2012 velocity stacks
Driven block off plates
Antigravity Lithium Ion battery
Flash tune bike side harness
Bazazz zfi tc qs
Bazazz zafm
Vortex rearsets with banjo switch
Ohlins SD 042 steering damper
Tech spec tank grips
GB racing covers
R and G axle sliders
Impaktech race rails
R and G flasher relay
Competition Werkes LED Intergrated tail light
LED headlight, running lights and turn signals
Tinting the headlights, brake light and turn signals with vvivvid dark smoke headlight tint.

I think thats it. Again any tips or suggestions on things I can clean, rebuild or do maintenance on as I go would be awesome. I will post more pictures as I go as well 20201031_173659.jpg 20201031_173638.jpg 20201031_173615.jpg 20201031_173550.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
13,669 Posts
Is there anything else I can or should do? Or tips you guys can offer up on what I plan on doing already?

Steering neck and rear suspension bearings could use servicing. No time like the present.... If you don't take advantage of how close you are now, odds are you never will.....

·
Registered
227 Posts
At this point you could just strip it to the frame and do a complete scrub on the chassis from the inside out. Then as you reassemble it, loctite and tq all fasteners to spec. Took me a weekend to do this with my 2016 ZX10R. Not really that complicated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there anything else I can or should do? Or tips you guys can offer up on what I plan on doing already?

Steering neck and rear suspension bearings could use servicing. No time like the present.... If you don't take advantage of how close you are now, odds are you never will.....
Would that just involve checking for wear and cleaning them and putting new grease on them?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At this point you could just strip it to the frame and do a complete scrub on the chassis from the inside out. Then as you reassemble it, loctite and tq all fasteners to spec. Took me a weekend to do this with my 2016 ZX10R. Not really that complicated.
Thanks man I will add it to the list

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
My only question is why tint your headlights? That's like wearing a dark tinted visor for night rides.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My only question is why tint your headlights? That's like wearing a dark tinted visor for night rides.
I don't ride at night to be honest the bike comes out during the summer months and it doesn't get dark here till almost 21:00 and by that point my "joy rides" are well over and I am well into the wobbly pops by the BBQ.

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
None of this is "rebuild" that is all just maintenance and general personal add-ons (bling)

At ~17,000 miles and 7 years old.......... the maintenance list you have is a bit short of everything I would suggest... but the clutch basket and plates really shouldn't be needed on the list unless it has been abused and tortured...
Was this a racebike or just someones streetbike? did it look well maintained or abused? Has it been crashed and thrashed...

your pictures show zero bodywork but it looks pretty clean as far as what is there
you may as well remove the triples and clean and properly pack the steering head bearings
I would also do the swingarm bearings and all those linkages
Don't forget after adjusting the valves to synchronize the throttle bodies
I certainly would clean the brake calipers with a toothbrush and hot soapy water and then flush the brakes well with all new fluid
etc....

But hey I am just happy someone who bought a used bike is actually going to do some maintenance and not just think .... "I spent all my monies on the bike and bling, it runs fine it doesn't need any maintenance" kudos to you for that

Reactions: RJ2112

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
None of this is "rebuild" that is all just maintenance and general personal add-ons (bling)

At ~17,000 miles and 7 years old.......... the maintenance list you have is a bit short of everything I would suggest... but the clutch basket and plates really shouldn't be needed on the list unless it has been abused and tortured...
Was this a racebike or just someones streetbike? did it look well maintained or abused? Has it been crashed and thrashed...

your pictures show zero bodywork but it looks pretty clean as far as what is there
you may as well remove the triples and clean and properly pack the steering head bearings
I would also do the swingarm bearings and all those linkages
Don't forget after adjusting the valves to synchronize the throttle bodies
I certainly would clean the brake calipers with a toothbrush and hot soapy water and then flush the brakes well with all new fluid
etc....

But hey I am just happy someone who bought a used bike is actually going to do some maintenance and not just think .... "I spent all my monies on the bike and bling, it runs fine it doesn't need any maintenance" kudos to you for that
The history of the bike is sketchy. I bought it from a high end used car dealership. The tail fairings were scratched and the bottoms of the side fairings also had some rash on them. The windscreen was also cracked. So I assume it was in some sort of crash.

The guy had some ugly gold CRG levers and aftermarket bar ends (originals probably damaged in crash?) He had an m4 megaphone slip on exhaust but he didn't have a servo buddy and he left the cables hooked up to the servo motor but just tucked the end that goes to the exhaust off to the side. They did the same thing with the back brake light switch which was tucked in between the radiator and engine because he had Vortex resets on it with out the banjo light switch.

I put it back to stock with parts I was given and I took it to a shop to have the fluids flushed and a basic tune up done. Then I rode it for the rest of the season. That was two seasons ago. Didn't have time to ride the past two seasons. I started a new job and had my first child so it sat.

I just don't trust this guy did anything right so I want to really get into it and do as much as I can so I am confident it is running properly and I can put my mind at ease.

What other maintenance would you suggest? Besides what I have and what you have already suggested. I am off because of COVID with no foreseeable future of return to work so I got nothing but time. I really want to get as much done as possible.

Its hard to explain but I feel like this still isn't my bike the whole reason for me doing all this is to try and gain some sort of personal connection to it. Sappy I know but this was the first and last used bike I will ever buy. It drives me mental not knowing what this bike went through.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Its hard to explain but I feel like this still isn't my bike the whole reason for me doing all this is to try and gain some sort of personal connection to it. Sappy I know but this was the first and last used bike I will ever buy. It drives me mental not knowing what this bike went through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,203 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What a freakazoid................. geesus

and he calls it a boy car to boot.......... so a gay freakazoid....ugh, sadly he is from Arkansas to boot ugh

1 - 14 of 14 Posts