Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I hAd my rear tire changed and they took off the sprocket and the bearing inside the sprocket or the mettle spacer fell out that goes between the wheel barring and the sprocket and I put it on and drove on it for one day then my wheel started clicking. I looked and saw that my axle (inside the wheel tube) was super loose. Do I need knew wheel? And is it still safe to drive?

·
Registered
10,996 Posts
Don't ride it... and no... Wheels is probably fine. You probably need new bearings though.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Are you talking about the sleeve that fits over the axle?? The spacer or the bearings?? :O

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I'm talking about the tube inside the wheel. Don't know exactly what it's called but u have the bearing on top of the wheel and when u stick ur finger in a little there is a tube that connects to the other side and allows ur axle or bar to go thru so your wheel stays in place. It's just that I got ticking noise in my wheel and I put on a diff wheel from older model but same bike and it worked fine no noises.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
There's an axle and there's also a metal spacer that the axle slides through. It is held in place by the wheel bearings. I'd take it all apart and inspect it before I did anything. You could have damaged the bearings and/or the axle as well. I messed up once and damaged a bearing upon installation (long story). It ended up grinding my axle down and the clicking noise is what led me to pull it bfn apart and inspect everything. New replacement bearings from pivot works and a $9 axle on eBay saved me a ton of coin and probably my life. I'm pretty sure your wheel is ok though.

·
Registered
17,933 Posts
Does the axle have marks on it?

That sleeve can be moved with a finger. But if it will not stay in place, If its loose?
Then you proly need bearings.

·
Registered
8,243 Posts
SLEEVE,RR HUB,L=22
42036-1279
$23.01

I think he is talking about missing this spacer behind the cush drive- then riding it that way

You definitely need new bearings and do not ride it until you replace them and get the sleeve back in place--also check over the axle very carefully.

That sleeve is os one of the numerous spacers so the bearings are not side loaded, without it- the bearings go bad within miles

·
Registered
4,283 Posts

·
Registered
8,243 Posts
I think he's talking about part number 92152 in the diagram here: 2006 Kawasaki NINJA ZX-6R (ZX636C6F) Rear Wheel/Chain | CyclePartsNation

It's basically a tube that goes inside the rim, and the axle slides through it. With the axle out you can move that part around a little with your finger.
But you cannot remove that without pulling out one of the wheel bearings.... I understood it to be the spacer behind the cush drive simply because he said when he pulled that off-yada yada yada... (42036 in your picture link)

either way it is a no brainer to replace the bearings and get the spacer back in
then check for other damage

Reactions: Strider

·
Registered
971 Posts
Ummm he said "they took off the sprocket and the bearing inside..."

Who's "They" and if they are a shop I would be putting my bike on a trailer and raising some god damn hell at that place....

Always inspect your machine BEFORE you take delivery.

·
Registered
17,933 Posts
Yep sounds like it started with the spacer behind the cush-drive, Then went onto the wheel bearing & the sleeve.

An easy way to help get bearings in, Put em in the freezer the night before, Take em out & put em in straight away.

Reactions: Strider
1 - 11 of 11 Posts