Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One the chain side of the bike, the bolt moves happily in the swing arm, I can adjust it to its full extent. However, one the other side of the swing arm, the bolt, which I have now round red the head off,will only come out to the 2nd indicator mark. Think its possibly torn the inner thread, but unable to check due to the bolt head now being ruined.

Anyone any ideas??

Really need to sort this as my new chain is pretty slack.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Pull the axle and axle block out of the way and remove it for a new one.

penetrating lube?
heat?
in - out, in - out motion til it loosens?--working the lube in further

but one way or another it will need t be removed and replaced

to far gone for a 6 point socket---even if not the original size....just cram one on and unscrew it

Reactions: Scorpi0

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pull the axle and axle block out of the way and remove it for a new one.

penetrating lube?
heat?
in - out, in - out motion til it loosens?--working the lube in further

but one way or another it will need t be removed and replaced

to far gone for a 6 point socket---even if not the original size....just cram one on and unscrew it
Thanks mate, I'll give these options a try.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are these bolts bike specific, or can I just swing by the local hardware store and pick some up from there???

·
Registered
83 Posts
These bolts are bike specific because they have smaller head size than standard ones, but at least on 05 bolts from hardware shop (m8 x 55 - head size: 13mm) fit well, only diffrence is less space between side of swingarm and head of bolt...

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Usually the head on them is smaller than what is "standard" for that sized thread. You can check the hardware store and if you find one that fits and can be adjusted it will work fine.

I would expect most dealerships should have those bolts on hand. There are really only a hand full of different bolts used across all brands and models of bikes for this application.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Stainless steel- so they do no rust

locally my ace has the exact same bolt- same head, everything

but at this price you could just go oem...

BOLT,8X55
92151-1578 supercedes to this p/n92153-1407
$1.67

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Oh, yeah, put some anti-seize on them when reinstalling them. The issue is the dissimilar metals being in contact and corroding.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Oh, yeah, put some anti-seize on them when reinstalling them. The issue is the dissimilar metals being in contact and corroding.
been there done that but in the case of these, since they are mostly permanently installed and never removed to clean--it is better to go dry.......otherwise dirt etc attracts and make it worse

Reactions: jerryg951

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Going through this now with my dirt bike adjusters. Ole dick face PO must have tried to loosen the lock nuts with channel locks:O

new chain and sprockets are here, so it's finally time to take care of this. I sprayed WD-40 on the threads and worked it back and forth a little and eventually got it to come out. But there's probably a lot more rust/dirt on mine than yours, lol.

Edit: I'm actually sitting in my garage now amongst my darlings and just noticed the axle block on the zx is backwards, FUCK! This thread turned out to be a blessing, thanks! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Putting them in dry is fine until you have go thru what the OP just did with a frozen adjuster bolt. Been there, done that, won't do it again.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
you can just get a normal bolt m8 ,i think the pitch is 125 ,just get the right length,i would be careful with stainless as it is weak as piss ,if you do manage to remove the old i would run a tap down it to clean the thread in swing arm and fit new bolt put some grease down the thread hole to keep it lubed up for future ,i have had this problem with my j2 swingarm and 06 swing arm

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers guys, as always, invaluable advice. This is why I come here.

I'll tackle this next week.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts