Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2012 zx6r.
Just changed the rear brake pads
Noticed the rear tyre doesnt spin freely now and is really tight.

Is this normal and i should give it a good run in?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
That might be cause your chain is too tight! I remember when I had my chain too tight I'd spin the back wheel and the chain would stop it from rotating. The other thing is that could be that you didn't fully release the brake pressure before installing the new pads

·
Registered
865 Posts
A rear tire not spinning freely is not normal. Going through a rear pad in that amount of time seems odd also but that is another conversation. As for what the problem is, someone smarter than me on that condition should chime in.

·
Registered
13,120 Posts
Stick a flathead screwdriver between the brake pad and the rotor. twist it to pry it open. Then spin the tire to see if it spins freely.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
definately not the chain - it turns freely when the brake caliper is off also it was known okay as it was riding fine a day ago.

it has this small clip that looks like ]=[ that seems to fit between the caliper and the brake pad and seems to stop it from going all the way back - is this the correct place to put it?

I've pushed it til its quite far back and drained some of the liquid from the master cyclinder.

It only gets extremely tight when i fasten the 2 bolts that sticks the caliper onto the rotor

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also 3 years of stock brake pads and 28,000 kms i think it has done well for rears.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
If you swapped in fresh pads in the rear AND topped off the brake fluid in the rear reservoir, there may not be enough room in the reservoir for the fluid to expand to account for the now much thicker pads.

Pull off the rear reservoir cap and follow proper bleeding procedure until the fluid level is no higher than the max line.

·
Registered
487 Posts
If you swapped in fresh pads in the rear AND topped off the brake fluid in the rear reservoir, there may not be enough room in the reservoir for the fluid to expand to account for the now much thicker pads.

Pull off the rear reservoir cap and follow proper bleeding procedure until the fluid level is no higher than the max line.
This! Just bleed that rear brake and it should be good to go

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
definately not the chain - it turns freely when the brake caliper is off also it was known okay as it was riding fine a day ago.

it has this small clip that looks like ]=[ that seems to fit between the caliper and the brake pad and seems to stop it from going all the way back - is this the correct place to put it?

I've pushed it til its quite far back and drained some of the liquid from the master cyclinder.

It only gets extremely tight when i fasten the 2 bolts that sticks the caliper onto the rotor
Yes, make sure you put that little guide clip in properly, or it could cause some issues.

This is where it goes (http://www.cyclepartsnation.com/oemparts/a/kaw/500b786df8700223e4798c27/rear-brake):

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts