Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Just curious, how many teeth are you able to go up in the back on the '09 stock chain? Stock has 43 and I was thinking of going with a 46 if I could, but I would leave the front where it is. Reason being is simply because its cheaper (eventually I will upgrade it all).

Is there an advantage/disadvantage to only going up in the back without going down in the front?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
739 Posts
just changing a sprocket will eat up not only the sprockets but the chain too. I'd do it all at once that way it'll all wear in together and fit like it's suppoused to. To answer your question you might be able to add one tooth with stock length chain but you're moving stuff aroud and out of it's normal operating area and changing characteristics of the bike.

·
Registered
11,985 Posts
i just got a vortex kit. stock front teeth. +3 in the back. new chain

·
Registered
11,985 Posts
getting it installed with a speedohealer this week. the chain is a 520

·
Registered
11,985 Posts
healtech. ya, i'll be putting up a post of sprockets, chain, speedohealer, tires, and brake lines. all should be happening over the next few weeks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I bought the driven kit. -1 +2 and I love it. But I wouldn't replace sprockets without replacing the chain. Just wait till you can afford to do both parts. Just my opinion, but the chain is a pretty crucial part that shouldn't be skimped on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I decided tonight I'm just gonna stick it out until I can get them all. This winter I plan on getting my rims powder coated, add break lines, and do the sprocket kit. I'll wait and do it all at once. Plus the bike will be up for the winter and I can take my time getting it all together.

What type of chain did you end up going with mrz? Noticeable diff with the -1/+2?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts