Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I've got a 2014 zx6r and out last time out the EBS light came on and the speedo stopped working..... put it on a stand and took out the sensor and it seems to have been rubbing off the disk on the wheel and i can feel it hitting the disk when i push it in ?.....my pads have about 1mm left so that would bring the disk closer but the piston is still a good bit out ?..... Anyone else come across this ... i had the wheel off before i took the bike out if that makes a difference.

Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive wheel system Rim Bicycle part

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My guess is you installed the wheel spacers incorrectly.....

Doubt it as they are not inter changeable......unless i mixed up with front :oops:

EDIT.....Fcukin hell... just checked and had one of the spacers mixed with the front.. identical except back is 3mm longer ... and just did a trackday like that :censored:.....anyway cheers, just need to get new sensor now and brake pads (y)

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
So you point to the speed ring that is attached with the same bolts as the rotor, but you say ???????????

I have no idea what you are saying ....

is that speed ring rubbing on the rotor? it is a fixed object- so how can it??????
is the pick up sensor rubbing on the rotor????? that would be pretty incredible to happen??????
Is the brake caliper or the brake caliper mounting bracket rubbing on the disc?

But !!! The disc (brake rotor) does not move closer to the pick up or that speed ring as the brake pads wear!

you simply need to be much more clear what you are trying to tell us

·
Registered
14,692 Posts
Doubt it as they are not inter changeable......unless i mixed up with front :oops:

EDIT.....Fcukin hell... just checked and had one of the spacers mixed with the front.. identical except back is 3mm longer ... and just did a trackday like that :censored:.....anyway cheers, just need to get new sensor now and brake pads (y)
Glad you found it and no one was hurt in the process….. except your pride and your wallet, lol.

most track junkies use spacers that are retained on the wheel, to cut down on that happening. Might be worth it for you.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
So the speedo read-out comes from the front wheel sensor so you might want to check that too.

Reason why I know that? I don't have ABS and therefore no rear sensor.

·
Registered
14,692 Posts
^^ I have been of the impression that the speed of both wheels is measured and compared for the traction control functions, which are installed on all models '13+. ABS is looking for a skidding condition of either wheel..... TCS is looking for fear wheel spin from overpowering available grip.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, i installed a new sensor on the rear, speedo back working when i run it in 1st on the paddock stand and EBS light clears when i spin the front wheel with my hand.... My bike has the EBS system by-passed so doesn't make a difference either way but wonder what would have happened to the brakes if still hooked up with faulty sensor?

·
Registered
14,692 Posts
I would be very surprised if you would lose brakes altogether due to an abs fault. The liability for Kawasaki is too great. You almost certainly default to manual brakes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts