Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I came across a problem during rear shock disassembly (need to change spring and preload nut).

Spring came off through bottom bracket easily. But preload nut internal diameter is smaller than bracket size. So I need to take off bracket first. It mounts to a shock rod by a thread and lock nut. But it also has integrated compression adjuster.

So my question is - can I unscrew bracket from the rod without full shock disassembly?

20200709_133449.jpg

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
Hello.

I came across a problem during rear shock disassembly (need to change spring and preload nut).

Spring came off through bottom bracket easily. But preload nut internal diameter is smaller than bracket size. So I need to take off bracket first. It mounts to a shock rod by a thread and lock nut. But it also has integrated compression adjuster.

So my question is - can I unscrew bracket from the rod without full shock disassembly?

View attachment 105908
I would expect so. Once you break the lock but free, the coupling should unscrew from the shaft. The adjuster should have a self centering cup to align the adjuster rod within the shaft.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I found a picture of fully disassembled Honda shock. Most likely it's the same design. What bothers me is, I'm not sure if the needle inside the hollow rod (shaft) is fixed and sealed, or will come out under pressure when I take off the clevis (bracket).
25.jpg
Seems like the latter...

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
It won't be under pressure. The valving is all outside of the pressurized side. You are changing the restriction in a passage, or changing the pressure applied to a reed valve. The adjuster in the clevis is an eccentric shape. When you twist it, the needle is pushed up or down slightly depending on which way your rotate the adjuster.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm. It seems like the rebound needle that moves inside shock shaft is one piece. So, it's tapered (top) end contacts directly with the oil, that is pressurized. Also I notice that needle has O-ring closer to the clevis side. I assume that shaft is filled with oil right to the bottom end. If there is no adjuster bolt on the bottom, the needle will come out together with oil.
SMGV 4612Assy single stage PEENING ON INT2.jpg

Again, this is just my assumptions based on some pictures from the internet. I can't find exact information about ZX6R Showa rear shock construction (hah, maybe needle is two-piece item sealed at top end).

Perhaps someone knows where to find instructions for disassembly, pictures, video, forum thread. Or knows for sure what Showa construction is.

Anyone?? 🙄

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
I’m betting you have to bleed off the pressure to disassemble, no matter which way you approach the process.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m betting you have to bleed off the pressure to disassemble, no matter which way you approach the process.
Damn. My fault asking an ambiguous question :(
I should write "can I unscrew bracket from the rod without bleeding off the pressure". Topic closed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts