Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a 2007 zx6r i got a few months ago. i noticed that my rear brake pads were rubbing the other day so i lifted the bike up and took a look at it and they were indeed rubbing the brake disc as if they were slightly engaged. I proceeded to remove the caliper and took the pads out noticing they were worn and scratched up a bit so i removed them and pushed the piston in replacing them with new pads i keep for backup. After installing them i checked the tire and no rubbing or anything of the sort. I then pumped the brake a few times and its right back to how it was before. Spin the tire in N and it barley makes a full revolution before it stops. I pushed the piston back in so it won't rub the mile i ride to work every day until i can go to a shop next week. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
The pads will "slightly" rub the rotor. If your tire is barely making a rotation, I'd be inclined to inspect the wheel bearings.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Push pistons back in, spin wheel.

If free spinning then the bearings most likely are good. Might pull confirm and grease them up.

Sounds like your pistons, seals are dirty. Pull pads, pump the master.
Watch pistons, pump them out clean, push back in hold clean one back and then bring the other out. Clean.
Repeat until the pistons come out evenly or with a small resistance the leading one can be held back.

If left unattended the problem will get to the point were your back rotor will get hot because the rear brake is constantly on and could lock up.

Clean pistons are next to something. (was going to say godliness) but that's silly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When the pistons are pushed in the wheel spins without a problem its like the piston isn't relaxing after the brake is applied. and is there a link or something for cleaning the pistons or would you explain it diffrently i don't fully understand as I'm newer with working on bikes mysef. By pumping the master cylnder do you mean applying the brake? And should i clean the pistons with just a clean cloth?

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Nice link..

That should do you, after it's refreshed next cleaning I use a Q-tip and brake cleaner.
Caliper off bike, pump the pistons out. (I do one at time) clean repeat on others.
Last cleaning put a very light coat of brake fluid on pistons before pushing back in, excess wiped off. Use it for lube.

Brake fluid is a fantastic paint stripper. SO be careful, wipe off any spills.

If your doing the rebuild, I would get the cylinders out evenly until one pops off.
If you push one out and leave the other in, getting it out will be a major pain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts