Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Hope someone can help.

My bike has been standing for 4 years (long story).

Recently got it through the MOT (UK), have replaced all fluids in the bike and runs just fine other than one thing.

Problem is that it overheats intermittently (and yes it does overheat, says 'HI' and gets very hot). Have flushed the bike a few times now with special cleaner and there is plenty of aluminium oxide flakes coming out each time but it is still overheating. Local bike mechanic has told me the most likely problem is just that its clogged up because the antifreeze separated from the water and so it started rusting. This would explain why its happening sometimes and not others as the clog moves around the radiator.

The pump and thermostat have been tested and work ok but may have rust inside them.

I have been told that the best option if I want to give the radiator a really good clean is to remove it. Any ideas how I go about doing this and how easy it is?

Obviously I'd rather not replace the radiator if I can because it is costly so will try the cheaper options first.

I have had the fairings off, tank off etc before so not worried about that.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
It's fairly easy to be honest, just painstaking and time consuming.

Obviously you know how to drain the radiator, so drain it.

Remove the two bolts at the top where it bolts into the frame. You probably also have a bracket coming off the motor that the radiator bolts into as well.

The hoses are held on by clamps that are easily removed (just leave them on the hoses).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again,

Managed to get it off. Took me a couple hours though.

Absolutely full of crap the radiator. Actual lumps of rubbish the size of pebbles in there. Going to give it a good soak and rinse now and hope that does the job.

Thanks again all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.