Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have a Muzzy radiator fan? It's larger and metal. I have that on Blue and a regular stock fan on the Project Bike. I took the Project Bike to work with me today to burn up the rest of the Race Gas that cost me an arm and a leg... and noticed it gets hot quicker and stays there for longer. I'm all for engine ice and all that jazz, but I'm honestly seeing a major diff in temps just from the radiator fan...

Anyone else have the Muzzy fan? How much did you notice the temp drop? What was the drop (if you know)?

I'm about the do a cold start test tomorrow morning with both bikes side by side. I'm thinking the next upgrade for the Project Bike will have to be that fan. Just makes sense...

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Not really a temp drop if anything its just more efficient than a stock.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Well note.... if the fins are larger I guess more air would be going into it...

Also run some meth!

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would be interested to see a side-by-side test MasterTurkey.
I'll have to do this tomorrow (or maybe over the weekend) ... but I'm interested too.

P.S. Did you ever get my PM about the KIT ECU software? I may have spelled your name wrong... or got the wrong member ...? lol. I have the KIT ECU but no software. Willing to pay for cd/dvd copy.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well note.... if the fins are larger I guess more air would be going into it...

Also run some meth!
I'm going to call Damon at the shop and double check to see what kind of coolant he used. No meth though. lol.

And yes the fins are larger (much larger). IDK about rpms though.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I would be interested in this if it really cools that much better. If the fins are larger it would seem that it would pull more air through, also like a boat prop the angle of the fins can affect how quickly it draws the water, or air in this case, through it.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would be interested in this if it really cools that much better. If the fins are larger it would seem that it would pull more air through, also like a boat prop the angle of the fins can affect how quickly it draws the water, or air in this case, through it.
I'll take pics and do a comparison write up this weekend. But I'll start when I get off work...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Very interested in how this thread turns out. I always thought the muzzy fan was just a metal version of the stock fan, didn't know it was bigger.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I just put a muzzy fan blade on an old RF900R since the factory fan was plastic and the orientation(about 1" from the header) causes them to melt when you turn the bike off after its hot. It had 1 extra blade from the stock but since the stock fan was melted already there is no way for me to know if it works better than stock. At least it wont melt on the RF... lol.

Also there is only so much air the fan can move since the fan will be spinning at the same rpm regardless of which fan blade is used. To the OP, when you do the comparison could you switch fans out on the same bike so we know the difference is in the fan and not that one cooling system is working better than the other?

Reactions: MasterTurkey

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To the OP, when you do the comparison could you switch fans out on the same bike so we know the difference is in the fan and not that one cooling system is working better than the other?
A little harder than just comparing bikes but I work in science/tech so I understand your reasoning... I'll just buy the part and swap. GoPro before and after. May be a longer time frame since I have some other stuff to do, but I'm interested so I'll see it through. I guess I could always steal from Blue just for testing purposes but I'd rather not if I'm just going to buy the part anyhows... I'll work it out and make a thread in the future.

·
Registered
14,141 Posts
I'd guess the Muzzy is a lot louder than the OEM fan. There's a lot of science in the curve of fan blades. Big flat paddles don't produce smooth airflow. The extra surface area may move similar amounts of air, but I doubt it's as efficient.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts