Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 2009 ZX6R.
Today, I took off the stock exhaust can without removing the premuffler. The bike was loud as fuck. I want to reduce the noise level a bit by adding this Shorty GP Pipe. It says it has a two-piece baffle in it.

Does anyone have this pipe? I wonder if the baffle is removable/how it sounds on the bike.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Based on their website they are selling a generic chrome 'turn down' for 60 bucks. And no it will not reduce any of the current noise. It simply will aim it in a different direction. It will be quite loud, same as it is now.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Based on their website they are selling a generic chrome 'turn down' for 60 bucks. And no it will not reduce any of the current noise. It simply will aim it in a different direction. It will be quite loud, same as it is now.

·
Registered
14,141 Posts
Between 'loud as fuck' and 'acceptable' is a long range of guessing. When you add 'cheap' to the equation, it gets even worse.

Take a look at the OEM muffler that you took off, behind the covers. Not that big. Just an ugly little (high flow) car muffler, gussied up with some covers. If you want more noise cheap, destroy the internal baffles on that.

Or replace the prechamber with a straight pipe, and re-use the OEM muffler without it, without modifying the OEM muffler.

Arrow and a number of other mfgs make the pipe to link the header to the muffler without the pre chamber.... but I have to think any competent muffler shop should be able to make up a pipe just like it fairly inexpensively.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really never understood the ability to spend thousands of dollars on a motorcycle but not having the ability to spend money on quality parts.

Thats like going out and buying a lamborghini and throwing cherry bomb mufflers on it.
I understand what you're saying.

I'm completely open to suggestions. I just want to keep the shorty gp pipe look on the bike.

·
Registered
14,141 Posts
If you post up an ad in the classified section, or search there, you'll find a few M4 GP that are changing hands. They're well built..... just much to loud for my purposes. Your budget should net you a used one, in good shape.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Dan Moto actually makes a pretty nice pipe for the money and they sound good. They're also made here in the USA. Definitely rwcomended over that POS the OP is asking about.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
M-2 exhaust slip on with a silencer tip is perfect IMO, for sound and looks and weight savings. Looks gorgeous in the carbon fiber, sounds like a race bike, and I haven't even had backfiring or anything surprisingly, with just a stock tune so far.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Dan Moto actually makes a pretty nice pipe for the money and they sound good. They're also made here in the USA. Definitely rwcomended over that POS the OP is asking about.
DANMOTO INT HK LIMITED
RM 02 07/F, Bangkok Bank Building
18 Bonham Strand West
Sheung Wan
Hong Kong

They probably are ok for the money, there isnt much to a silencer. Ive heard their adonizing doesnt stay though so be careful about getting black, they supposedly turn a rusty orange brown color.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
DANMOTO INT HK LIMITED
RM 02 07/F, Bangkok Bank Building
18 Bonham Strand West
Sheung Wan
Hong Kong

They probably are ok for the money, there isnt much to a silencer. Ive heard their adonizing doesnt stay though so be careful about getting black, they supposedly turn a rusty orange brown color.
My bad, I was thinking of M4 being in the US. But they're still one of the best budget slip-ons.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts