Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Been finding my '19 stock quickshifter quite rough, even at full throttle high rpm.

I know it has a long cut time, and that it's essentially not adjustable at all. Am I stuck buying a new sensor and computer unit? Can an aftermarket QS unit be switched on and off by the controls on the bike? That would be really cool if I could maintain that functionality, but it's definitely not a deal breaker.

Is there any long and complicated way to engineer a timing adjustment for the stock QS? If it can't be adjusted in the ECU, can it be adjusted if I was a computer genius on the QS sensor itself? Is it theoretically possible with the stock hardware?

Any insight into this system would be greatly appreciated, I would go to great lengths to save some cash to make this better if I can. Wallet hurts, got an Ohlins damper on the way though! Lol.

If there's a cheap good aftermarket QS system that is adjustable, suggestions on that would be rad as well.
Thanks in advance.

-Mike

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
lol. I was thinking the same thing on my ride today but for my zx10r. I'll see if I can find some more info on the zx6r. BTW, I'm running an IRC QS on my zx6r which has a "dynamic" setting that works well.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh wow yeah that does sound like what I want.
Can you enable/disable that QS through the bikes controls or no?
If I bought that kit for 300 bucks, will I get quickshifter (upshift only at least) functionality with nothing else? Says it comes with all the harnesses and linkage, is it easier to hookup with the '19?

Any help with those questions is greatly appreciated, a QS system with a super wide variety of usability sounds exactly up my alley.
Thanks for the advice!

-Mike

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
It would replace the OEM unit so you cannot use the bike controls to disable/enable. It includes the sensor, controller and harness. Another unit that also does the dynamic shifting is translogic's, which is supposed to be the best one out there. Other options include Healtech's iQSE, Bazzaz, Annatori and adding the QS sensor to a dynojet PC5. Most aftermarket QS units plug into the ignition coils.

Looks like woolich does have an adjustable option for OEM zx6r's but only through the race tools package, which is not available for 19+ models yet: http://www.woolichracing.com/products/kawasaki/zx6r/2016/436/2013-2015-kawasaki-zx6r-636-race-tools-package.aspx. You could always contact them and ask if the cut times are adjustable with their ECU flash kit.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, well it sounds like the IRC one would do me well, especially at that price point. Do you think any work is saved with the wires already on the bike stock? Would it be fewer plugs and stuff to get it hooked up on the '19? May have to ask them also. I am just hoping the installation is easy with the bike now coming stock with a QS system, so hopefully upgrades would be relatively easy.

-Mike

·
Registered
4,060 Posts

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
If I were going to get a an aftermarket quickshifter (which I plan to do soon), it would be this one (Intellishift): Translogic Products: Intellishift Quickshifter, Quickshifters with seamless shift simulation, Powershifter

@jd41 It looks like they also make an OEM replacement sensor for the ZX-10R: Translogic Products: OEM Replacement Quickshifter sensors and Quickshifters
Thanks! I wish I would have seen that before I bought my GP rearsets. Would have been easier lol.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have the Translogic on my bike and it works great...no complaints. I haven’t known any personally to break either as I have with Bazzaz and Annitori.

57990049934__CE7CDC65-8983-484D-9AF9-96DF4A858FE2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh wow, looks like you got a kickass setup on that bike! Might be good to just drop the $430 for the translogic over the $300 for the IRC. If the best is only a little bit more, might as well spend it.

How is the setup ease and tuning ease on the translogic? It looks like its supposed to be relatively simple, but experience with it says a lot more than instructions or a website can. Any insight? I've got a trusted shop who could do stuff for me, but I am completely in on learning to hook things up. Relatively familiar with engine work and procedures, but electronics are not my forte.

-Mike

·
Registered
913 Posts
Oh wow, looks like you got a kickass setup on that bike! Might be good to just drop the $430 for the translogic over the $300 for the IRC. If the best is only a little bit more, might as well spend it.

How is the setup ease and tuning ease on the translogic? It looks like its supposed to be relatively simple, but experience with it says a lot more than instructions or a website can. Any insight? I've got a trusted shop who could do stuff for me, but I am completely in on learning to hook things up. Relatively familiar with engine work and procedures, but electronics are not my forte.

-Mike
Thank you sir, I appreciate that! I’m Not sure about the IRC one although it looks like a nice set up. The translogic was the first Kinda difficult install I did on my bike and that’s all it needed. If your somewhat mechanically inclined this would be simple for you. Plug and play no set up times needed it does it for you as you ride.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome, I think that would be the ticket for me. Flexibility in settings is my goal, the bike will see mostly street, but definitely it will get to see some track time as well, and dynamic cut times and other settings would be more appreciated for sure. By any chance (I havent looked at all) is your bike with aftermarket rearsets GP shift by any chance? I think that is something I would want to do, even for street. I got to try it out on my buddy's '08 6R and I really enjoyed it. Would be nice to find rearsets that let me do that with the translogic QS system.

-Mike

·
Registered
913 Posts
Awesome, I think that would be the ticket for me. Flexibility in settings is my goal, the bike will see mostly street, but definitely it will get to see some track time as well, and dynamic cut times and other settings would be more appreciated for sure. By any chance (I havent looked at all) is your bike with aftermarket rearsets GP shift by any chance? I think that is something I would want to do, even for street. I got to try it out on my buddy's '08 6R and I really enjoyed it. Would be nice to find rearsets that let me do that with the translogic QS system.

-Mike
I have Driven rear sets and they are set up as standard shift. I’m almost positive they go both ways tho if you do choose. Not 100%

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
By any chance (I havent looked at all) is your bike with aftermarket rearsets GP shift by any chance? I think that is something I would want to do, even for street. I got to try it out on my buddy's '08 6R and I really enjoyed it. Would be nice to find rearsets that let me do that with the translogic QS system.

-Mike
You should be able to switch your OEM shifter to GP shift just by flipping one of the pieces around. (At least that's the way it is for the 2009 - 1012, but I don't think that has changed on the later models).

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
You can just flip the shift knuckle to convert to GP shift if you're using an aftermarket QS sensor. In order to use the OEM QS sensor, you must purchase a GP specific rearset kit.

Woodcraft GP

\

Sato

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I am familiar with flipping the knuckle around, but yeah I wanted to for now use the stock QS sensor, which isn't possible if I do that.

I will probably just find a good set of rearsets and probably go with the translogic. Flexibility would be nice, if I could switch from GP to traditional that would be even more rad. Not that I would switch often, but getting things setup first and then being able to switch it after would be preferred, just to learn one thing at a time.

-Mike

·
Registered
281 Posts
my 07 is currently running a trans logic as well. it was a large factor in the purchase of the bike as it is currently wearing track plastics and has no street use at all. I have yet to really put the TL QS to the test yet but I do continue to hear really good reviews. set up seems simple enough from my understanding.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Side Note:
Flipping the knuckle makes it run UP 1 Down 5? that would seem counter productive right? wouldn't you want to run DOWN 1 UP 5 for a track bike since the QS takes care of any upshifts without the clutch and down shifts would just be a simple tap down then? I might have this backwards...

·
Registered
913 Posts
Side Note:
Flipping the knuckle makes it run UP 1 Down 5? that would seem counter productive right? wouldn't you want to run DOWN 1 UP 5 for a track bike since the QS takes care of any upshifts without the clutch and down shifts would just be a simple tap down then? I might have this backwards...
Correct GP shift is 1 Up 5 down...the down becomes up when you flipatize it!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don't mean to hijack, but quick question as I am new to the ZX6R. My QS seems to work pretty well. Did you notice degraded performace of the QS over time or was it problematic right off the bat? (Hoping I got a good one.?)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts