Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 13 zx6r and was just wondering if anyone has any quick shifter kits installed. I'm looking into getting a Bazzaz qs4. Anyone have personals opinions or reviews? Any other kits I should consider?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Can't go wrong with the Bazzaz. There's always the Annitori Gen 3, HM, Dynojet, MPS, etc...

But a better question for you is why? Are you going to be on the track or on the street? What other mods do you have done to your bike? How long have you been riding? What is your purpose for a QS?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I have a full Bazzaz system on mine (zfi-tc) and it's awesome. It's much smoother than my Annatori was, but it's still not BMW Shift Assist. The software is very easy to use, and if you do go Bazzaz, PM me and I'll send you my kill times that I've found are the smoothest all around.

·
Registered
381 Posts
As an FYI the new Annitori no longer has HM software.It is not considered GEN3 because of this. (just semantics) It is the new pro series and i have heard there are several problems that are being worked out. The idea behind what they have is great but on release there are a few kinks it seems from what i have read and heard.

In my recent research the bazzaz seems to be a great product bit very high price. If I was going to spend $500 i would prob go with genuine HM.

In the end I decided to go with a Gen2 Annitori as all the reviews I read were very positive and it did have features that I was looking for. Can't beat the cost savings as well.

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
As an FYI the new Annitori no longer has HM software.It is not considered GEN3 because of this. (just semantics) It is the new pro series and i have heard there are several problems that are being worked out. The idea behind what they have is great but on release there are a few kinks it seems from what i have read and heard.

In my recent research the bazzaz seems to be a great product bit very high price. If I was going to spend $500 i would prob go with genuine HM.

In the end I decided to go with a Gen2 Annitori as all the reviews I read were very positive and it did have features that I was looking for. Can't beat the cost savings as well.

Good luck in your search!
I spent three weeks, made multiple phone calls, exchanged at least 50 e-mails, and sent one unit back and received another unit and I still couldn't get the new Annitori Pro to work on my 09 ZX6R. I installed a dynojet and had it working in 30 minutes.

Keep in mind that with the Annitori Pro if you do not have an Android phone with NFC you will need to purchase a $30 USB NFC card to be able to adjust the settings. Either that or bum someone's phone.

In Annitori's defense, they did work with me to try to get it working and they did issue a refund.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I spent three weeks, made multiple phone calls, exchanged at least 50 e-mails, and sent one unit back and received another unit and I still couldn't get the new Annitori Pro to work on my 09 ZX6R. I installed a dynojet and had it working in 30 minutes.

Keep in mind that with the Annitori Pro if you do not have an Android phone with NFC you will need to purchase a $30 USB NFC card to be able to adjust the settings. Either that or bum someone's phone.

In Annitori's defense, they did work with me to try to get it working and they did issue a refund.
The guys at Annitori seem great! More than willing to help. I think it will be a great product when they get it worked out.

From all the racer guys i know who have used dynojet quick shifter it is noting but problems. Switches fail all the time. I stayed far away from them. Hope yours works out.

Alot of laptops will have NFC as well. Maybe check to see if your may be compatible.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
The guys at Annitori seem great! More than willing to help. I think it will be a great product when they get it worked out.

From all the racer guys i know who have used dynojet quick shifter it is noting but problems. Switches fail all the time. I stayed far away from them. Hope yours works out.

Alot of laptops will have NFC as well. Maybe check to see if your may be compatible.
Unfortunately my bike wouldn't even run properly with the Annitori hooked up. As long as it was hooked up it would cause the bike to miss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RWLfYGAXjs

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
I heard that was one of the problems with the wiring loom.
"First time they had ever heard of it". With that said, they kept getting confused which bike I had. I'm guessing it wasn't really the first time they had ever heard of it. :O

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bike is pretty much stock so far. Just have my mirrors relocated and tank grips. Will soon get a full exhaust via M4 or Akrapovic. I will rarely track my bike but I will ride in the north Georgia mountains a lot. I'm mainly looking for ease of gear changing, improved time in between gear changes, not having to move my wrist every gear change, etc.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Bike is pretty much stock so far. Just have my mirrors relocated and tank grips. Will soon get a full exhaust via M4 or Akrapovic. I will rarely track my bike but I will ride in the north Georgia mountains a lot. I'm mainly looking for ease of gear changing, improved time in between gear changes, not having to move my wrist every gear change, etc.
If deep pockets aren't an issue stand alone HM or Bazzaz unit if you intend on doing fuel management as well. IMO avoiding from having to move your wrist to shift and back road riding isn't justifiable on droping the coin, these quick shifters like working at high rpm range. Sounds to me like you need to work on ergonomics or buy a cvt scooter :nana:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol.. it takes me a good 2 hours just to get into the mountains. Then another 2 hours to get back. We typically ride in the mountains for 3 hours. It takes a toll. And essentially it will improve the overall performance of the bike as well so that is another upside. The Bazzaz system is pricey but I don't want to cut corners and be disappointed with my purchase.

·
Registered
986 Posts
There is a SHIT TON of mods I would do before I would worry about a quick shifter.

Listen, I have spent a tad over $3500 on modding my 2014 636 and a QS is JUST NOW getting into my head. There are MANY more mods that the money could be spent on before a QS is viable. I'll probably spend the money on an Ohlins Cartridge Kit before I spend money to go faster than the acceleration aspect side of it. If you are talking about mountains, then I'd be worrying about suspension, not transmission.

How long have you been riding though?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I am just throwing this out there....but..... you do know that you can clutchless upshift right?
Reason i say this is that quick shifters are really meant for WOT, high RPM shifts. It sounds like you could get away with clutchless upshifts. The minute "blip" that you would have to do at let's say 60% throttle doesn't take much effort.

Spend some money on adjustable rear sets to make your trips more comfortable, or a custom seat to prevent numb ass,or just use that money for more gas for more trips.

OR TIRES FOR THE RACE TRACK!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! (sorry that's what my mind wonders to)

Just my .02

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
I have to agree with the majority; QS would be far down the list of mods needed to do, especially on a street bike but hey, it's your money.

If you do go that route, my advice would be to get a fuel management package with it (Bazzaz or PCV) as it will really help to smooth out the power. That translates into more comfortable riding.

Oh, and since you mentioned you are looking for M4, I have a full M4 GP system for sale if you are interested.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Started out on atvs, rode dirt bikes for 10 plus years. This is my first street bike. So about 2 months haha.
Then why are you thinking about a QS? There are MANY more things to purchase before even thinking about a QS at the moment. I'd ride the bike a ton more to develop the skills of a clutch upshift and downshift. Honestly, on the street, that's half the fun of riding; shifting. I don't see any use for a QS on the street honestly. If you are using a QS on the street, you are breaking the law. No way can you not break the law and use a QS as you need to be at WOT.

I'm not here to say I don't break the law on the streets, cause I have and I will, but I'd be looking at an MSF course first and foremost. I would also be looking at spending your money on riding gear such as a helmet, gloves, jacket, Kevlar jeans, etc... especially if you are going to be doing over 100mph in traffic.

Other than the needed items, I'd be looking at getting rid of the stock muffler and going with a slip-on for better sound, Stomp Grip Tank Pads, Pro Grip Tank Protection Pad, upgrade the factory halogen bulbs to some HID's from TheRetrofitSource.com, Fender Eliminator Kit, MotoDynamics LED Integrated Sequential Tail Light, Puig Double Bubble Windscreen since it seems like you want to ride at triple digit speeds and the list goes on.

If you are dead set on getting a QS for whatever possible reason, then I would go with a Bazzaz Z-Fi QS. It has the Fuel Management System and the Quick Shifter module in the same box. You don't need the full blown Z-FI-TC since you already have TC.

But before you go with a QS, learn how to properly change the gears at a fast pace since you will be changing gears with the clutch 90% of the time since a QS can only be used @ WOT as mentioned above.... Or atleast I hope so. If I'm wrong on the 90%, then I hope you have full coverage insurance and are wearing gear.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do have full gear, I've taken the Georgia beginner and advanced msf street courses. I've even taken a dirt course. I do understand the core mechanics of bikes since I've been riding dirt for a while. I've already bought plenty of gear for myself and I'm still trying to figure out how the GF's gear ended up on my credit card haha. After taking everyone's replies into consideration, I definitely won't rush to get a shifting kit which isn't really what I planned to do initially anyway, I was just looking into it. I was not aware the the quick shift kits were only operable at WOT so that might be where my confusion is. I don't really want it so I can't get the max performance out of my bike, I was looking more for ease of control while shifting.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts